Ammo for emergency stash (.223 Rem)?

This is a discussion on Ammo for emergency stash (.223 Rem)? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm constantly trying to build up my ammo stash for SHTF scenario's. Everytime I'm out, I get a little bit of this, and a little ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm constantly trying to build up my ammo stash for SHTF scenario's. Everytime I'm out, I get a little bit of this, and a little bit of that for my emergency stash of ammo (.223 for my AR). I know that optimally a round like the Hornady TAP ballistic tip round would be best. But at $25 for a box of 20, it can get pretty expensive.

What are your thoughts on the 45/55gr Winchester Varmint/Remington HP rounds for stashing? At my local WM I can get 40 round boxes for $24. This would enable me to buy more rounds, and load more magazines.

Also, the military uses FMJ rounds I believe? I would rather use a HP round, but this same WM has Federal .223 in 100rd boxes for $39. I use those rounds for practice, but had never thought about using them for emergency situations?
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

FMJ will get better penetration , and in a SHTF scenario, would be my preference.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I agree re the fmj rounds.
    In addition, there might be problems with varmit or fragile rounds depending on your barrel twist. From what I read, a 223 at around 3000fps in a 1 in 7 twist, will rotate at over 300,000rpms. That night be beyond the design parameters of varmit or hp rounds. See the last section on bullet rotation. There is a formula for calculating rpm rate. I cannot vouch for the information listed, but I would at least look at it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twist_rate#Twist_rate

go with the fmj ammo. works well in all things.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

For emergencies, XM193 or M855 will do just fine.

It's a centerfire rifle. Shoot someone in the chest and face, they will probably fall down.

both...

FMJ bulk, but also good to have a supply and ammo that makes big holes...

comes down to "right ammo 4 the right job.."

I got a lot of the Winchester JHP you mention at a great price and I have it loaded in several ready-to-go magazines. I also keep whatever FMJ I can get cheap around and loaded. If the S really ever does HTF, I doubt it will matter. Just so the gun goes bang.

I've fired that Winchester in my 1/7 Colt with no blowups. Same with Federal's American Eagle cheap 50gr JHP. That's the fastest twist rifling any of my AR's have. If you're worried test a few boxes in yours. And your plan is good. Stock up on ammo and magazines a little at a time and it all adds up. My AR magazines take up 6 ammo cans plus a belt carrier or two..... And a bandoleer of 20 rounders...... And those ones on the tactical vest..... That shoebox in the back of the black safe..... And this bandoleer of 20 rounders loaded with tracers....

(I just moved, in FL, in August).
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Numbers are off the top of my head so don't take them as gospel....
    The twist rate of your rifling will determine which weight bullet you should use. The slow twist (1:12 etc) will do very nicely with the shorter, lighter(under 55 grain) bullets. The common 1:9 is a nice compromise and does reasonably well with about 52 grain to about 70 grains. The 1:7 twist favors the longer heavier bullets, usually above 62 grains.

As far as bullet design goes, think about the range at which you are going to be engaging potential targets. The FMJ rounds do quite well as long as you keep them above their "frangible threshold". This means if you are launching them out of a long tube with higher velocity you are good for about four hundred meters. As you go to shorter barrels that range will decrease. If you have an eleven inch barrel with a long flash hider that range will drop to as low as one hundred fifty yards.
    I have hand loaded a good bit of SHTF ammo for my rifles. For my A2 H-Bar I loaded up 55 grain FMJ. For my Bushmaster carbine I went with 62 grain BTHP. Both have 1:9 twist rate. The hollow points will also do very nicely for extended range precision work out of the rifle.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Geez. Some of you have an awful lot of money invested in "what if" ammo. Way I figure it, I only need enough ammo to kill the bad guy. Then I can take HIS gun and ammo. It's a good idea to be familiar with different weapons platforms...

Whatever makes you feel comfy I guess...but I just don't see the need to have crates of ammo laying around.

Sure would hate to be the fire fighter that has to go to your house if it were to catch fire!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Oh yes! I live in my own first due area. All the crews know which rooms to save and which should be, shall we say, fought from a distance.... And everybody that owns a home should have residential fire sprinklers. Especially if you have kids, valuables, security bars, or other hardened security at your house.

I've been working in gunshops for ammo, guns, magazines, and free range time for 19 years as of April.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

CMR
    M855 all the way, baby!
    For a lot of people, being a victim is a way of Life. That's a Life I choose NOT to live.

A Shepherd must tend to his Flock. And at times........fight off the wolves.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    FMJ will get better penetration , and in a SHTF scenario, would be my preference.
    It's what I got and some 5.56mm FMJs too. Cheaper to buy in mass quantities than HPs. I have a total of about 500 rds. of FMJ ammo and 250 of them loaded in my AR-15 mags ready for use. The rest are reserve ammo stored in 20 rd. boxes.

I think the amount of "what if" ammo depends on your own vision of a "what if" scenario. My "what if" goes substantially beyond a miscreant breaking into my house, but rather includes a level of civil unrest up to large-scale social disorder. Driving down to Wally World or Dick's Sporting Goods to pick up a box or two of ammo just won't be an option in those cases. Another consideration is that in a long-term social breakdown, ammo becomes a medium of currency.

In preparation for an emergency situation, A thousand rounds of 5.56 and a few hundred of each serious handgun caliber are my absolute minimums.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sure would hate to be the fire fighter that has to go to your house if it were to catch fire!
    You can only have too much ammo if you are on fire or swimming...

I like to stock up with FMJ rounds, and a few of the hornady and the Winchester silver tip just for good measure. One member recommended a mix of the value JHP and FMJ, which I also think is a good option. With FMJ, I think the standard XM193 is great, along with those cheap boxes of .223 FMJ that are easily found from the big 3 ammo makers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links