22 LR Self Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on 22 LR Self Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I have recently purchased a NAA 22 Long Rifle Pocket Pistol to use as a back up to my primary weapon (Glock 26). ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 22 LR Self Defense Ammo

22 LR Self Defense Ammo

Hello All, I have recently purchased a NAA 22 Long Rifle Pocket Pistol to use as a back up to my primary weapon (Glock 26). What 22LR Hollow Point do you folks recommend to use as self defense round in my back up weapon ? Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by seaaircapt View Post
    Hello All, I have recently purchased a NAA 22 Long Rifle Pocket Pistol to use as a back up to my primary weapon (Glock 26). What 22LR Hollow Point do you folks recommend to use as self defense round in my back up weapon ? Thanks in advance!!
    Go with a heavier weight HV solid for penetration. Hollowpoints won't expand from the short barrel of your NAA.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I'd recommend CCI Mini-Mags; 40 grain copper plated - not the 36 grain HP's. As above, kpw is right, a 22 HP isn't going to expand anyway so you might as well go for pentration (however slight).

"22lr self defense ammo". Isn't that one of those contradictory terms, like "jumbo shrimp" and "government efficiency"?

All joking aside, I'm struggling with the concept of 22lr even as a bug. You've got a G26...carry an extra mag and practice clearing your weapon as quick and effectively as possible. If you can't clear it, hit 'em with it...it may hurt them worse than the 22lr out of such a short barrel. I may be way off on this and I apologize if I am, but with the size of the .380s coming out now it seems silly to carry anything less than that even as a bug. I think the NAAs are cool as a novelty item though. Like I said, I may be way off base on this...I'm not an expert and I haven't shot one of the NAAs, but I've shot a ton of 22 rounds and they're fun to shoot. Take care.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would also suggest solids. While I would not use a .22 lr even for a back up if any other option was available, I have seen a number of people that were killed with .22 lr.

Check out NAA's message board. You can find a lot on the ammo choices of other owners. They have some ballistic tables for their small guns also.

NAA Ballistics Info.................. http://www.naaminis.com/naaveloc.html

NAA Message Board............... http://www.naaminis.com/discus/messa...tml?1283488037

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not the best choice for SD, but don't bother with HPs. What are they going to expand to ... .3? Get the highest velocity and heaviest weight solids you can find and let them bounce around the rib cage (or skull) like crazy.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The figures provided on the link don't really "set the woods on fire" do they?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    you may have been better served with an naa .22 mag for a bug...the .22 lr is a nice little bone chaser that can do a fair amoung of damage but to stop a threat it needs to be placed well for effectiveness...you want something that can give you as much penetration as possible...forget expansion...

Not to come off like a smart aleck, but I would rather throw stones, they make a bigger dent.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

the .22lr is way to ineffective. I would rather have the ultimate stopping power of the .22WMR.

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

cmb
    I agree with the solid reccomendation, check out derringer stuff to, 2 shots of 38/357 9mm etc alot better than 4-5 22 lr.

I also say CCI mini mag in 40 gr copper plated. The .22 probably will expand but will only penetrate a few inches in HP. You're better off letting it penetrate and bounce around a little, as Old Vet said. Best of luck with whatever you choose!

The marble in a cookie jar effect is often what kills people with 22's.

The OP didn't ask about whether the .22lr was an effective round--he asked what he should use now that he has the gun. He also states it's a BUG, not a primary. Why not? It's not like he's using a .25 or .32 as a primary with the little NAA as a backup.

Definitely not HP--no expansion as most have stated. Go with the heaviest solids you can find.

How do you like that little revolver? While I've never considered purchasing one myself, I've always wanted to fire one.

Cheers!
    Rightwing likes this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links