Which 9mm would you carry between the two below - Page 3

Which 9mm would you carry between the two below

This is a discussion on Which 9mm would you carry between the two below within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HST 147. 147s work better than lighter loads from short barrels. They lose a lesser percent of their velocity and therefore stay within their designed ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which 9mm would you carry between the two below

HST 147.

147s work better than lighter loads from short barrels. They lose a lesser percent of their velocity and therefore stay within their designed velocity window better. Also, the expansion on 147HST rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You mean three? Well, you know....I've always related the recoil of the 124gr+P to the 147gr FMJ range ammo for training purposes. I like the 124gr+P GDHP myself, and most any 147gr FMJ is going to duplicate the felt recoil. I bought two boxes of the HST 124gr+P for my wife to carry in her G26, and she's been down the road with them. I'm not going to waste her ammo that she works with. I'd rather conserve it for her. So I really can't make any comparison other than what I know for the grain weight of the round and ballistics out of a Glock. If you're going to look at a 147gr in 9mm for defensive purposes, I'm thinking you might as well be shooting a 40S&W FMJ. That's just my
    opinion. Of course I'm talking about the Glocks. I have no need to experience the Kahrs.
    Gotta disagree with you on the 40. The 147 grain 9mm actually is a better penetrator due the longer sectional density and smaller frontal area. Now given all things being equal, a heavier projectile with the same diameter has it's weight, therby allowing it to maintain more of it's velocity than a lighter bullet. Out of a short barrel, the heavier bullet gets my vote everytime. Pretty, flowery mushroomed bullets make nice pics, but aren't worth a nats $&& if it doesn't penetrate to the vitals, or gets clogged up by clothing. Penetration should be the first priority, and proper expansion, that is if in a perfect world, happens is just a benifit. At contact distance, it probably doesn't matter what you use, truthfully. Every body has a gimmic in bullet design, but the reality is if it doesn't get to the boiler room, your just pi$$&@$ in the wind.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    A lot of people have seemed to have problems with the 147gr loads....I have never experienced any problems with them...I have just reloaded about 200 147gr. Remington HP's....not Gold Saber....and they ran thru the G19 like nothing!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Either the 115 or the 124 will do fine.
    Both have excellent results in police shootings.

Yup, the 147gr is a good weight outa any caliber, but in 9mm, I think its the better outa the ones mentioned. On average it goes 1 to 1 1/2" deeper than the lighter ones. That is not from my personal testing, but what I have found by searching the INTERNET. Is it fact, not that I can prove absolute, but the information and testing photos appeared sound, and IMO had merit. Couple that with the fact that, if you wanted to slow down a heavy automobile, you put bigger/better brakes on it for the additional weight. Why wouldn't it come into play here.

I'd suggest chunking the middle to heaviest grain round offered by any caliber at what ever is asking for it. Slower does not always equate to less effective. The weight drives the round deeper in most cases. There's all kinda of variables involved, but unless you're looking for higher FPE numbers avoid the really light stuff. It loses its velocity and penetration ability pretty quick on impact.YMMV.

Oh, and water isn't really a good demonstration for any round capable of serious penetration and damage. There's bones and muscle that needs to be part of the scenario. The heavier round will suffer less deflection and do a better job of crunching through that stuff. Okay, Im done.... carry on.

GBK
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; October 6th, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Never had issues with 147gr in my G26. Nor has anyone I know that owns a a G26.

FWIW, Winchester recommends it's 147gr ammunition for use in shorter barreled pistols; the heavier bullet will lose less velocity out of the shorter barrel, and will retain more energy.

147gr HST would be my choice, followed by the 124+P HST.
    I as well carry 147g HST's and have had zero problems with them feeding in my G26.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

115 grain. 147's will fly subsonic. Why have a 9mm round flying at 1000 fps which will deliver less energy on the intended target? Just because the round is bigger dosen't mean it has more penetraion abilitiy. Speed x mass = delivered energy. Faster is better in a pistol round.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Quote Originally Posted by Glockanista View Post
    115 grain. 147's will fly subsonic. Why have a 9mm round flying at 1000 fps which will deliver less energy on the intended target? Just because the round is bigger dosen't mean it has more penetraion abilitiy. Speed x mass = delivered energy. Faster is better in a pistol round.
    Wrong.

Heavier rounds tend to penetrate further than lighter because of their momentum (heavier objects moving a slower velocities are harder to stop than lighter ones moving faster).

And, if I may add: energy doens't mean squat when looking at a round's effectiveness.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I personally prefer the lighter weight bullets in the 115 - 124 range. However if you prefer the 147 grain heavy weight bullet and it feeds and functions in your pistols, then go with what you personally feel comfortable with and don't look back.

Truth be known, either load will work if you do your part and connect with a vital area on a human body.
    God bless our troops!

I don't think ammo selection in a short-barreled handgun really makes much difference as far as the hole it punches or the amount of stopping power it has ; I tend to lean more towards whatever feeds best in a particular gun; so I'd use whatever was the lowest priced of the choices.

Can you (the BG) really tell the difference if you get shot with one or the other if the placement is correct? I think not so much...but hey, that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    HST 147.

147s work better than lighter loads from short barrels. They lose a lesser percent of their velocity and therefore stay within their designed velocity window better. Also, the expansion on 147HST rocks!
    Its called "Dwell time."

I use CorBon 115's. I like a faster flying round, especially in 9mm. But thats just me.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

I've been doing alot of research on ammo lately for my new .380, I started looking at the 124/147 thing today too...

I'm issued Speer GDHP 124 +P and I've shot hundreds of them through my pistol... near 500 I'd say. Never jammed, so I know it's reliable. I thought about looking at the 147 +P but here is the thing... it doesn't take much of a bullet to go through the skull, or the sternum to rip the heart or puncture the brain. I've found out even JHP .380 can do this, so with a +P 124 ammo, (even from a short barrel) will be enough to do that damage. It really makes a big diff on where/what you hit...

that being said, speer makes short barrel ammo for 9mm pistols, you might wanna look into that maybe. I have GDHP 124 +P in my MP9c which is almost the same size as a G26 btw...

9mm Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 124gr. +P HP Ammo

Search for ATK wound ballistics workshop. ATK makes both the GD and HST.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I've always liked the 147 grain ammo in 9mm as it's a bit slower and a bit heavier.Subsonic ,slowerthan 1125 feet per second and I just like big bullets.
    In my 45's I use hollow points 230grain. When you come down to it all that matters is the rounds must hit the target you are aiming at regardless of the weight as the sizes
    we are talking about are so minute it probably wouldn't make a difference in 9 times out of 10 events.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links