Which 9mm would you carry between the two below

This is a discussion on Which 9mm would you carry between the two below within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Could someone help me pick either 9mm speer gd 115+p+ and HST 124+p or HST 147 grain. They will be shot out of a Glock ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which 9mm would you carry between the two below

Which 9mm would you carry between the two below

Could someone help me pick either 9mm speer gd 115+p+ and HST 124+p or HST 147 grain. They will be shot out of a Glock 26 or Kahr PM9

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    For the short barrel G26 & PM9 I think either the HST 124+p or Gold Dot 124+p (I know that wasn't one of your choices) would work the best.

4" and over barrel I like what I've seen with the HST 147's and Gold Dot 147's.

But it's all a matter of opinion and what feeds well through your gun.

Assuming all three are equally reliable in my own specific gun, I'd probably opt for the Speer GD 115gr, myself. If it wasn't absolutely reliable, I'd find something else. I prefer the 124gr GD's over the 115's, myself, but certainly the 115gr performs fine.

When I had the Kahr PM9, I generally got reliable performance out of the few GD variants I tried. IIRC, many report that the G19/G26 guns work well with the GD.

Speer does have a short barrel option: click.

In the JHP 124gr +P flavor, you get: 1220 fps and 410 ft-lbs at muzzle.

Up to you. Personally, I would suggest getting four or five boxes of each and then testing them yourself in your specific gun. Whichever seems to perform best, then get another dozen boxes and run them through the gun to be sure. Once you're convinced the gun's utterly reliable with that round, call it good and go with it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assuming reliability, you can always stagger load.

concerning the ammo listed and the glock 26 or Kahr the 147 will probably give you some feeding reliability issues has something to do with the way the bullet is back set into the case its a bit longer than the other 2. the 124 +p will give conciderable more recoil becuase of the added wieght of the bullet so if recoil isnt an issue the 124 would serve you better. Although the 115 +p is more than adequate for self defence

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Assuming reliability, you can always stagger load.
    Wow.

That's...

Wow.

Never had issues with 147gr in my G26. Nor has anyone I know that owns a a G26.

FWIW, Winchester recommends it's 147gr ammunition for use in shorter barreled pistols; the heavier bullet will lose less velocity out of the shorter barrel, and will retain more energy.

147gr HST would be my choice, followed by the 124+P HST.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    Could someone help me pick either 9mm speer gd 115+p+ and HST 124+p or HST 147 grain. They will be shot out of a Glock 26 or Kahr PM9
    You mean three? Well, you know....I've always related the recoil of the 124gr+P to the 147gr FMJ range ammo for training purposes. I like the 124gr+P GDHP myself, and most any 147gr FMJ is going to duplicate the felt recoil. I bought two boxes of the HST 124gr+P for my wife to carry in her G26, and she's been down the road with them. I'm not going to waste her ammo that she works with. I'd rather conserve it for her. So I really can't make any comparison other than what I know for the grain weight of the round and ballistics out of a Glock. If you're going to look at a 147gr in 9mm for defensive purposes, I'm thinking you might as well be shooting a 40S&W FMJ. That's just my opinion. Of course I'm talking about the Glocks. I have no need to experience the Kahrs.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1964 View Post
    concerning the ammo listed and the glock 26 or Kahr the 147 will probably give you some feeding reliability issues has something to do with the way the bullet is back set into the case its a bit longer than the other 2. the 124 +p will give conciderable more recoil becuase of the added wieght of the bullet so if recoil isnt an issue the 124 would serve you better. Although the 115 +p is more than adequate for self defence
    I've never had an issue with HS 147gr. in my PM9.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Federal HST 124 gr + P for me in my Glock 19, (BTY, the only 9mm I have...my other Glock's are .40's)
    Proud NRA member

Senior Moderator
    I'm not really a fan of the 147's in a 9mm.
    They just dont go fast enough.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I would skip the 147 grain loads in any 9mm... the best results in the field from all I've read are with the 124 gr loads.

Google "Balliisitcs by the Inch" to see how different loads respond to 3" barrels.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

For me it would be a toss up between the 124 grain +P and the 115 grain +P+.

They both work. As for the 147 grain stuff, no thanks. While the new 147 grain stuff is leaps and bounds better than the old stuff that came out years ago, I'm still prejudiced against it. The lighter, lighter than 147 grain, stuff has worked for years. That's not to say that some people haven't had good results with the 147 grain stuff, I'm just unwilling to change given the past history of the 147 grain 9mm's.

Biker

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    For me it would be a toss up between the 124 grain +P and the 115 grain +P+.

They both work. As for the 147 grain stuff, no thanks. While the new 147 grain stuff is leaps and bounds better than the old stuff that came out years ago, I'm still prejudiced against it. The lighter, lighter than 147 grain, stuff has worked for years. That's not to say that some people haven't had good results with the 147 grain stuff, I'm just unwilling to change given the past history of the 147 grain 9mm's.

Biker
    Feel the same way. I might feel a little more comfortable with some of the newer 147s in longer barrels but in a 3-3.5" barrel any of the good 115-124 loads would be my choice. I'd probably opt for the GD short barrel load.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I prefer the lighter grain rounds (I like the SPG's), but your Glock will shoot anything. I also hear that the BG's will accept any round.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links