.357 auto light loads?

This is a discussion on .357 auto light loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; id like to get an ankle gun, and im considering a glock 26 (9mm subcompact) and a glock 33 (.357auto subcompact). with the g26 the ...

Thread: .357 auto light loads?

.357 auto light loads?

id like to get an ankle gun, and im considering a glock 26 (9mm subcompact) and a glock 33 (.357auto subcompact). with the g26 the wifey could also carry it, but id like a little more punch than 9mm. if i buy the g33, are there light loads for it that would recoil more like the 9mm for if the wifey wanted to shoot/carry it?
    thanks,

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If she can handle shooting 9mm +P or +P+, she should be ok shooting a .357 SIG.....I think they recoil about the same....off course that is what I perceive...others may opine differently.

I haven't seen "light loaded" .357 SIG rounds per se.....there are companies' .357 SIG loads that don't reach 1400 FPS, at least according to Massad Ayoob in some recent gun magazine.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO as srfl stated if she can handle 9mm +P+ or .40 S&W she should have no problems . Other than that it would be look for a 9mm barrell and mags for it , and i am uncertin how good a deal that would be tho i have heard they are made .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

i own a fullsize g31 in .357 sig and she cant handle the recoil, so its not even worth bothering to try it on a subcompact. if i could find a light load to make it comparable to 9mm it would be a perfect solution.
    thanks,

VIP Member
    Ah.

Maybe someone knows of a purposely light-loaded .357 SIG; I sure don't.

Given that, maybe just just geting the G26 and load with effective +P or +P+ rounds like the various Winchester Ranger-T, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber or even Corbon or Doubletap Ammo, would be best?

If even those high-pressure 9mm rounds are a bit much for her, there are good standard velocity 9mm SD rounds such as Speer 124 grain Gold Dot, Winchester (RA92P) 124 grain Ranger Partition Gold and (RA9MMJHP) 115 grain Ranger JHP, Federal (9BP) 115 grain JHP, and Winchester 115 grain Silvertip JHP.

Those shouldn't have objectionable recoil...but then again that is a subjective thing.

Good luck!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I haven't seen a light load 357sig. If she doesn't like 357sig, then she probably isn't going to like a 9mm +P+, either. I'd go with a good performing 9mm standard or +P, if I were you. More important that she shoot what she's comfortable with, than that you use the same ammo.

Edited to add: has she tried a .45? She might prefer the gentle shove of a .45 to the snap of a 9mm or 357sig.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I think a 9mm +P+ load is as close to a .357 SIG "light" load as you will find. Winchester's 127-grain +P+ Ranger "T-series" runs ~100 fps less than a 125-grain .357 SIG load.

My recommendation would be to get the Glock 26. Load it with a standard pressure load your wife can handle. Save the hotter rounds for yourself.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    NaturalSelection just pick her up a kahr p9 , p9covert , or pm9 and stoke it to her comfort level LOL ( yea i know $$ grows on trees )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Don't do it. I've seen too may buddies who stuck their wives with a gun that hurt to shoot. Ya know what, they don't shoot. The old addage that a hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a 357. My suggestion is a 9mm and use a solid load, Silvertip, etc. We often get caught up in theory but I haven't seen anyone volunteer to be hit by a mid range 9 or 38. If she get one hit with a 9 I double guarantee you that she'll get 2, 3, or more.

i didnt mean to be unclear, ill try to clarify what im doing.

the wifey already has several 9mms. the ankle-biter would be my deep cover weapon for those times when i probably shouldnt carry but really really want to anyway. i was just thinking that if i could find a really light .357 auto load, that perhaps she could shoot it too. if not thats fine, i was just hoping to have the best of both.
    thanks,

If she already has a few 9's then go for the .357. She can give it a try with a few different brands of ammo and see if she likes any. If your gonna be the main user of it then your not out anything if she doesnt like it. In my opinion the 357sig has fairly managable recoil. Then again I shoot a .40 regularly and I hear people complian about how it beats the hand too much. If it helps any I've heard that hornaday makes about the most managable and recoil friendly 357 round. I cant personally back that up though.

I bought a G33 as my backup weapon to my G31 when they first came out and the recoil with this gun is fairly stout. After the first 50 rounds, the gun starts to loose it fun factor especially with rapid fire drills. I switched agencies but I still like the G33 the best and if given the choice I would carry it again.

I would have to say it would depend on your wife as my wife shot my G33 once and handed it back to me and said...no. I have since bought a 9mm conversion barrel for it for practice at ranges that don't have 357sig. I've seen the jello testing with both the 124+P Gold Dot and 147 Winchester Ranger Talons from a G26 and they both looked good to go. On another note, I have also seen the pictures of the recovered bullets from the last four shooting in my area. The round was 124 Gold Dot out of a G17 and all but one expanded, the one that didn't went through a barrier before entering the body.

Given your additional info, have you considered stepping her up from 9 standard to +P, then to +P+, then to 357sig?
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    Given your additional info, have you considered stepping her up from 9 standard to +P, then to +P+, then to 357sig?
    Nope....I already lost my CZ85 to her
    ...and my S&W 640 too....

Links