Bullets As Currency

This is a discussion on Bullets As Currency within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's the point of gold, precious gems, etc. Take something of little use and relatively rare, elevate their value, then display your wealth by the ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bullets As Currency

That's the point of gold, precious gems, etc. Take something of little use and relatively rare, elevate their value, then display your wealth by the amount that you have. Makes perfect sense in our world.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Ammo will definitely have its place as currency in an EOTWAWKI scenario. The only problem with "hard currency" is that its "inherent value" is subject to market conditions. As with anything, it is only worth what someone is willing to give you for it or what it can do. If you need to put some food on your table what is worth more to you, that ounce of gold or a Marlin .22? Another ounce can get you a box of ammo. Another ounce can get you a pound of salt. Don't want to pay those prices? Try your luck somewhere else.

I can also see folks counterfeiting ammo. A punch can restore a used primer to new appearance. Throw a little sand in the case and then seat and crimp. Looks fine, feels right, but when the firing pin hits, nothing. And with a magazine full of dud ammo, what are you going to do about it?
    I think alot of folks missed the point. You did not. It would not take alot going wrong before some ole 22 that can hold a good enough for supper group and a brick of ammo would be worth more than a CTS-V. I can not think of a down side to having a couple of decent 22 rifles and several bricks of ammo. Even without anything going wrong they hold their value fairly well. Let things start to go to crap and folks will start to have a need for a decent gun. This isn't even considering the need for self defense.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    I have ammo & guns.....you have gold......then I have ammo, guns & gold.......lol
    j/k
    Then you run into someone like me who has gold and silver...but also has guns, ammo and backups...

Your career ends.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Farron,

That was the sale price this past weekend at my local Dick's on Remington copper washed.
    I'm not sure what regular price is anymore as during the ammo crunch of two years ago I went and bought 3K (!) rounds of it and cached the boxes.
    I figured okay ammo is getting hard to find AND expensive so I bought what I could find thinking if worst comes to worst I could train with .22 until 9mm and .45 become more plentiful.
    I'd also bought several boxes of 12 gauge turkey load too as it had then been on sale and that's all that local shops had on the shelf aside from 30.06 rounds. I didn't even have a shotgun on hand at the time but figured where in America can one _not_ find a 12 gauge shotgun? Nowhere, that's where!

In a survival condition crisis, prior to the return and rebuilding of civilization and with that luxury markets and monetary based trade (use of 'money' is itself barter), I'd love to have two or ten box quantitys of .22LR at 500 to 550 rds. per box.
    I'd use that to trade and procure stuff I might need as the US is darn near carpeted with guns chambered in .22, and he who has a gun with a bullet can and will eat as well as stay warm & dry at night. It's not pretty nor kind but history shows this to be a truth quite well. : /

- Janq

P.S. - Agreed SteveW.
    What's the first thing people want to put hand to when they can smell smoke or hear the noise of rioters at their neighbors homes 2 or 3 blocks away? Guns, and ammunition.
    We've seen this here in the US many times including recent such as the Watts riots, the DC riots, the LA riots which lasted two weeks and largely had no police control beyond forming a perimeter to control expansion...And then there was Katrina. Great for folks outside the hell hole, but for those who happen to have an address within...FUBAR. Having a gold coin to offer as trade to a rioter, looter or house burner works with a specific subset of people...And then even those people as noted prior are themselves looters and thieves looking to 'trade' you a sliver of gold for everything you got t half a penny on the dollar or less pre-collapse condition monetary value. No thanks. I can't eat gold and it isn't so good at cutting flesh nor growing into something life preserving once buried in the ground.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I was in Somalia. The folks with the guns ran the place...and they still do.

If you have guns and ammo, you can get gold. If you have gold, you can get guns and ammo. If you have neither guns/ammo nor gold...you're screwed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    I guess this is the proper forum for this discussion...if not, mods, please move...

I have heard and read several articles (print and TV) that discuss situation where the Brown Stuff has hit the overhead oscillating mechanism...

In those articles, there was discussion of what will be used as currency if we do have a break-down in society...

Of course, gold is a very popular item, but bullets were listed a couple of times as a potential currency...

That got be to thinking, since ammo prices are reasonable right now...should I stock up like I'm saving for the future...or are people "blowin smoke" thinking ammo will be a viable currency?
    Food, water, ammo.....etc. When cash takes a fall and you can't buy anything because cash is no good.....it comes down to barter and trade. That is the future in my opinion. Lots of folks are already working on it. How much for your cow? I'll trade you a bag of hot peppers for a dozen eggs. Gold? What's that worth? Silver? Monetary just like your greenbacks. When they take a fall, the monetary market goes with it. Geez........I wish I had an old fashioned well instead of being on rural water actually. Bullets......ammo? I could see that easily as being of value. One will have to hunt for game and fend off those who would take what you have. I give ammo an A+ in the future market. Bullets? Maybe not so much. Don't let that keep you from practicing fending off zombies who have nothing to trade though. That would be a mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Food, water, ammo.....etc. When cash takes a fall and you can't buy anything because cash is no good.....it comes down to barter and trade. That is the future in my opinion. Lots of folks are already working on it. How much for your cow? I'll trade you a bag of hot peppers for a dozen eggs. Gold? What's that worth? Silver? Monetary just like your greenbacks. When they take a fall, the monetary market goes with it. Geez........I wish I had an old fashioned well instead of being on rural water actually. Bullets......ammo? I could see that easily as being of value. One will have to hunt for game and fend off those who would take what you have. I give ammo an A+ in the future market. Bullets? Maybe not so much. Don't let that keep you from practicing fending off zombies who have nothing to trade though. That would be a mistake!
    I agree with Ramrod here.... A generator is worth a lot more than guns or ammo. MOSTof us will have "enough". Ammo will almost be a bi-product of what it would take to survive. Antibiotics, celox, common perscription meds, propane tanks, heaters, gasoline will be a HIGH priority. Many desperate people will NOT trade those things for a gold coin they can't take to a bank somewhere. Ammo is used to kill people..... you won't be killin' alot of people, you'll just be trying to get the basics of survival.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

My fellow Americans, as you know, 27 minutes ago the power went out. Also affected were most of the communication and transportation systems in the continental United States, most of Canada, and parts of Mexico. This seems to the effect of a large EMP burst. We are not sure at this time of the source of the burst and we do not know if was accidental, an act of God, or a malicious attack. We do know that the burst is NOT the result of a nuclear attack. I repeat, we have NOT been attacked with nuclear weapons. As many of you know, the President and most of his cabinet were in route to his ranch in Texas on Air Force One. Since the burst, we have not had any contact with them.

From Lights Out

A good read and worth the effort.........TEOTWAWKI..........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    My Super Walmart sells the 100rd .45 WWB for$34.95.
    It wasn't just a few short years ago that WWB at wal Mart was $9.96/100 for 9mm, $14.96/100 for 40SW and $19.96/100 for 45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    I agree with Ramrod here.... A generator is worth a lot more than guns or ammo. MOSTof us will have "enough". Ammo will almost be a bi-product of what it would take to survive. Antibiotics, celox, common perscription meds, propane tanks, heaters, gasoline will be a HIGH priority. Many desperate people will NOT trade those things for a gold coin they can't take to a bank somewhere. Ammo is used to kill people..... you won't be killin' alot of people, you'll just be trying to get the basics of survival.
    I agree with you to a point, but.......
    Generators, propane, gasoline, will spike and be great investments for the short term. How much fuel will you have on hand for that generator? Figure typical gas generator at half load gets what? About an hour and a half per gallon of fuel? Two months after the collapse you will no doubt have people lined up ready to give you anything they have for that generator and a can of gas. but if we are talking a total break down, that gas is all there is. When it is gone, unless you can make your own fuel, that generator is a giant paper weight.

As far as ammo and killing people goes, unless you are prepared to defend what you have, you might not have it long. I live outside the fourth largest city in the country. It would take a while, but the wandering hordes of mutant biker zombies can reasonably be expected to wander out to my neighborhood. I think it is also reasonable to think that at least some of those folks might not be too happy about me having what I have and not being willing to just give it all away to anyone who just walks up and asks for a hand out.
    As much as they might want their lack of foresight to become my problem, that is not going to happen.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Ammunition is definitely a good investment; from the metals angle have you looked into nickels? Right now, the base metal value of a nickel exceeds its face value by one to two cents (depending on what copper and nickel are going for).

For those of you living in Urban or Suburban areas, I recommend "Surviving the Economic Collapse" by Fernando Ferfal Aguirre who writes from the perspective of an Argentinian who has already seen TEOTWAWKI. One point he makes is that you need to plan for the long term. As mcp1810 notes, you want to invest in things that you can reasonably store reasonable quantities of or else can acquire in the worst case scenario remember that even stabilized gasoline has a shelf life. If you plan on using a generator, consider obtaining one that runs on diesel and figuring out some way to heat the fuel tank in order to reduce the viscosity of whatever grease, fat or oil you can get your hands on. Invest in enough filters, and you'll have at least intermittent power indefinitely. Remember, Rudolph Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Not just biker zombies either.

Figure in all the easy to mentally/emotionally tip dads that under normal days will scream at their kids, and other peoples kids too, on ball fields and assault fellow spectators as well as coaches and umpires at games. Those guys won't think twice about trying to strong arm another to survive.

Same goes for females too including the normal days types who with regularity snipe at people and like the above dudes will lose control of their emotions and mentallity over just low item stuff such as being cut off in a parking lot or some lady taking too long at the supermarket to pay because she is paying by check (I witnessed this at my local Whole Foods last winter).

We've all seen these people. Many of us have these people as neighbors, whether we are aware of it now or not.
    Some of us live with these types of people and others of us ARE these people.

Add in the pervasive US citizen sense of entitlement.
    Add in the seemingly rampant in the US condition of mental illness to which many people are medicated by prescription.
    Add in the many people who live daily with physical pain as medicated and moderated through prescription drugs....Which when the power goes out the grocery & drug store closes, and then people lose their ever lovin' mind.
    See Katrina. Heck I've seen this first person during snow blizzards that crippled supply chain toward groecers as when I was living in NoVA the decade past. During one storm where the community Food Lion and Giant Food grocers did not get a supply truck for a week due to blocked by blizzard condition snow, I literally saw two women of my neighborhood in the toilet paper aisle get into a screaming match at each other over what was the last packs of TP (one woman had a cart full the other had just one package in hers) and they were on the brink of hitting each other. I walked away and left the store. Similar on going in the parking lot as people were _battling_ for parking spaces. I walked there as my house was just a half mile away and I didn't want to risk getting my car hit by some fool with summer tires (!).

I don't know the answer of what would happen exactly and I hope to never find out.
    But I am very strongly supposing that it would be ugly and folk gonna lose their mind if the power doesn't come back up within 72 hrs. max, and as long as they don't see any mushroom clouds in the sky.

Snow Panic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bxg2tR0xgM
    Note: This is a somewhat tongue in cheek composite flick of real world news and fictional clips from movies, but it's a good reflection of what I have seen of people first person during just snow storms expected and ongoing that would only put folk out for a day or five max.

- Janq

Edit: I close this screen and bring up my normal homepage of ABCNews.com.
    In the top most red banner at that site the following is showing right now:
    "U.S. Poverty Rate Jumps to 14.3 Percent, Highest Since 1994"
    Time stamp 11:00A EST
    It must have just been posted as the item is so new it's not even hyperlinked yet to a page.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

One of the most important reasons for being able to re-load munitions is to simply save big buck$, and those savings allow for one to possess thousands of more rounds for a similar amount that would have been required for INVESTMENT purchasing on the retail market.....rounds that can be utilized for "barter" in exchange for goods and services during an economic crisis. Since the formation of this Nation, "Barter" has always been a means of doing business, especially prior to the era of commodities and precious metals. Munitions can be the "new gold or silver", and one who possess this new gold and the means in which to protect that investment will be better off than one who doesn't. The most unique feature of "Barter", which all levels of Government despise, if the fact that they cannot "TAX" this type of hidden transaction and get what they have deemed as their fair share.....too bad!

tkirk

Senior Moderator
    Its always been better to have too much ammo rather than not enough.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links