Bullets As Currency

This is a discussion on Bullets As Currency within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TedBeau In a true EOTWAWKI scenario I do not see why anyone would want gold or silver? Can you eat it? Is ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Bullets As Currency

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    In a true EOTWAWKI scenario I do not see why anyone would want gold or silver? Can you eat it? Is it valuable as a metal working material to make hand tool? Sure its easier to bend than steel but it's also to weak to be used. Copper is a better choice.
    I think that hydra (water) as it's called in Waterworld, food, seeds, fuel and ammo make much more sense as barter tools. Think about it. Go camping in a remote area for 4 weeks, and see what items make your life tolerable. Did the gold coins in you pocket do any thing for you when there is no store for 100 miles?
    Water, food and firewood though do allow you to survive.
    Steel, Brass, and Copper with be valuable
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

2. Remove Ads

I did not know how much I would learn when I started this thread...and wish to thank everyone who has contributed...

I've started increasing my ammo supply for my three weapons...and I'm looking at other items as mentioned to stockpile, with an eye on dual use...I can use it for my own (family) survival...and with a barter value...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I think the precious metals will cycle. At first they will be very much in demand and value may even spike above current values. But, in time that will wear off and we will switch to ammo and tools and seeds and such. Then after things stabilize I could see metals making a come back.

Unfortunately I also expect this will coincide with extreme population adjustments. With the break down of commercial transport we are going to end up with a much more localized economy. We would not see our grocery stores and pharmacies being stocked from central warehouses hundreds of miles away.

I expect at first those with gold, silver, gems etc will be able to live pretty well trading those for supplies. If they learn self sufficiency or a marketable skill in that time they will do OK. If they do not, as supplies become harder to come by they may well see those lose their value. If we have a true EOTWAWKI scenario we can expect food riots, and a significant portion of the population dying of starvation. Big cities would eventually go vacant as the scavengers find less there to sustain them. When the hungry hoardes are knocking on the door, you want an ounce of gold or a brick of .22?

This would be the most dangerous time for those of us in the suburbs. This is also when I think that ammo will have the highest value. If we can mount an organized defense of our neighborhood, and if we assume the zombies are still capable of something resembling rational thought, a cost benefit analysis should lead them to move on to easier pickings. As they move further from the city centers they will encounter more sparsley populated areas where they could possibly press their numerical advantage on isolated homes. Again, ammo would be very high value. Those of us in the suburbs that still have some trading it to folks further out for food.

As time passes and medical supplies become depleted the population would stabilize and commerce would begin between communities. In that time through violence, starvation, and disease I would guess about a forty percent drop in population. At this point I believe gold and silver would make a come back. But I think the entire cycle would take at least five years.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    In a true EOTWAWKI scenario I do not see why anyone would want gold or silver? Can you eat it? Is it valuable as a metal working material to make hand tool? Sure its easier to bend than steel but it's also to weak to be used. Copper is a better choice.
    I think that hydra (water) as it's called in Waterworld, food, seeds, fuel and ammo make much more sense as barter tools. Think about it. Go camping in a remote area for 4 weeks, and see what items make your life tolerable. Did the gold coins in you pocket do any thing for you when there is no store for 100 miles?
    Water, food and firewood though do allow you to survive.
    You so sure it'll be EOTWAWKI though? There have been plenty of catastrophes that have radically changed things for entire populations. Nevertheless, gold and silver have remained valuable and have been treated as money. Do you really think we're just going to reverse 6,000 years of economic history now and suddenly that will change? If so, best of luck to you. I think that view is very short-sighted and ignores history. I prefer to have both the precious metals and the ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    And what happens to all the "game" when EVERYBODY is living off the land......
    Won't happen. Less than 50% of the people have the ability to live and thrive without WalMart. The weak will quickly die out or be killed. Those that know how to live off the land and grow or raise their own food supply will be the ones surviving. Think about it, in a real SHTF scenario would you rather have a brick of Gold or some firearms with plenty of ammo for them? Around where I live the choice would be easy. Sure the Gold may pay off in the long run when things are restored to normal, but it will do nothing to help you live to reach that point in time. Those that think they will be able to trade gold or silver for food are truly kidding themselves. I hope we all never have to know which one of us is right. But until someone can convince me otherwise I will continue to prepare as I always have.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Administrator
    Well, if you had bought Gold back when folks like G. Beck were first saying "Buy Gold Buy Gold" - You could be selling that Gold right now for a profit of about $1,000 per ounce and 5 thousand dollars buys lots of rim-fire ammo if you purchased say...a mere....5 Ounces back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Animals I know about.
    Donkeys work well for protecting other livestock such as goats from natural predators.
    I hear ya, Tala! We had horses growing up and were given a donkey, (jenny) actually to care for. One day a few stray dogs wandered into the pastures. That Jenny put her head down, charged the dogs, kicking with her front feet, and biting like a demon. The dogs turned tail, never to be seen again.
    Lesson learned don't mess with donkeys!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links