.357 Sig - Page 2

.357 Sig

This is a discussion on .357 Sig within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; boatail .357 Sig Anybody use the .357 Sig conversion in their G22 or G27? If so, how do you like it, accurate? No probs.? I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 Sig

boatail
    .357 Sig

Anybody use the .357 Sig conversion in their G22 or G27? If so, how do you like it, accurate? No probs.?
    I ordered it for my G22. I like the ballistics of this round.
    I have both, each with the .357Sig barrels, and have never had even the slightest issue with the conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I've read posts where some had feed problems with converting to .357 from .40 or vice-versa, can't remember which. They needed the correct caliber mag to solve it. If I had either the .40 or .357, I'd certainly get the other barrel. I like having the versatility.
    All I know of use the same magazines, all the 357Sig is in basic terms, is a bottlenecked down .40S&W (altough the case is slightly longer on the Sig), so the magazines are the same. Sig, Glock, S&W magazines are all stamped ".40 &357Sig" now.

The only issue in doing a conversion that I know of is that some pistols need the recoil spring changed, but that is mostly when going to the .357Sig from a 9mm (and of course this would require a magazine change). The .40's spring is stiff enough that they don't need to be changed, so your G22 and G27 are good to go with just a new barrel.

The recoil is more 'snappy' than the .40, but all in all they are close enough to the same recoil that it is a non-issue.

I shoot the 357Sig out of every .40S&W I own, I agree with the versatility point, plus the .357Sig is just a kick a** round. IMHO the only reasonably carried defense auto round out there that trumps it is the 10mm, which requires a bigger gun generally and lower capacity.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    All I know of use the same magazines, all the 357Sig is in basic terms, is a bottlenecked down .40S&W (altough the case is slightly longer on the Sig), so the magazines are the same. Sig, Glock, S&W magazines are all stamped ".40 &357Sig" now.
    Not quite. My single stack Sig P239 uses separate magazines for .40 and .357sig and are marked as such. In fact, the .357sig magazine has a little tab that prevents loading .40 into it. While the .40 mag will accept .357sig rounds and generally shoot with them, an e-mail from Sig Sauer told me that they do not recommend using this for self defense as it is not as reliable.

My guess is that this only applies to the single stack magazines, but I don't know for sure.

I love the .357 Sig round so much I bought both a G32 and G33.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Personally, I find no benefit to the 357 Sig round over the 40. Both rounds have very similar balistics and performance. The SIg round is more expensive and harder to find. I have an H&K chambered in 357 SIG and find it no better or worse (shooting wise) than my Glock 40's. My Glock's will convert to the 357 or 9mm rounds with a barrel swap, mags and extractor (9mm).

Several police agencies are switching to the round though, including FHP which just ordered 2000 Glock 31/32's. No matter which round you choose, practice, practice, prractice. Good luck.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Is there a list out there of which agencies/departments, use which sidearm and ammo?

Thanks,
    Josh

Thanks for posting the links. I've been looking for info on the 357 sig.

I have a P229 in the 40S&W and 357 Sig. I like the 357 Sig a lot. I've not had any problems with either pistol. I do think that the 357 Sig is a little more accurate.

i bought a 32 barrel for my 23 and i shoot the sig much better. i am also able to use that barrel in my 27 for a small light weight package. when i bought my 23 i always planned on getting a sig barrel for it. as far as recoil to me it feels less with a little more blast. as far as flash, it depends on the ammo. gold dot hardly has any flash but some of the cheaper target ammo puts on a light show. if you order ammo on line you can find cheap target ammo at georgia arms for about 15.00 for 50 rounds. for SD rounds i find 50 round boxes of gold dot for less than 30.00. i think this is a great round and inspires a lot of confidence. this is the most powerful round i can get without going to a larger gun. i have never had any problem with the .40 mags but i did buy some sig followers and put them in a few mags.

Quote Originally Posted by ks kid View Post
    Thanks for posting the links. I've been looking for info on the 357 sig.
    Hers a good one... http://http://www.handguninfo.com/Ar....Pete-357.com/
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I have no experience using the conversion but I have carried a Sig 226 on duty in both .40 and .357. I am know carrying the .357 full time. I feel the .357 has a snappier recoil but resets on target faster. It is hard to explain but it is a different type of recoil. I do not see much difference in accuracy up to about 15 yards but between 15 and 30 yards, I feel the .357 is much more accurate. This is out of the same exact model of gun but is only my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    How does the recoil of the 40 and 357 sig compare, say out of a G22? Looks like I have found another reason to get me a G22.
    I think it depends on the weight of the recoil spring....IMO (only)...having shot both, I'd say the .357SIG is a bit snappier....but that's my impression, YMMV
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links