.357 Sig

.357 Sig

This is a discussion on .357 Sig within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody use the .357 Sig conversion in their G22 or G27? If so, how do you like it, accurate? No probs.? I ordered it for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 Sig

.357 Sig

Anybody use the .357 Sig conversion in their G22 or G27? If so, how do you like it, accurate? No probs.?
    I ordered it for my G22. I like the ballistics of this round.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Here's some recent reference into the swap vs getting a new pistol in 357SIG for the Glock. I've contemplated it and still am to some extent. But I'd look more toward using it in the compact or sub-compact....specifically my G27.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ock-33-.357SIG

Me also, Ramrod. Unfortunately, the G27 barrel is backordered. I believe I'll get the most out of that round out of the longer G22 barrel in the meantime. I understand that the .40 mags are fine with the .357 and also the extractor since it's the same dimensions below the neck?
    Thanks for the link, I did a .357 Sig search and it did'nt come up.
    Besides the .45auto, the .357 mag is one of my favorite SD rounds and if it can be had in a .357 Sig G27, I'm happy. The ballistics look the same, at least as far as a 125 gr. bullet goes.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

How does the recoil of the 40 and 357 sig compare, say out of a G22? Looks like I have found another reason to get me a G22.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've read posts where some had feed problems with converting to .357 from .40 or vice-versa, can't remember which. They needed the correct caliber mag to solve it. If I had either the .40 or .357, I'd certainly get the other barrel. I like having the versatility.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Anybody use the .357 Sig conversion in their G22 or G27? If so, how do you like it, accurate? No probs.?
    I ordered it for my G22. I like the ballistics of this round.
    If you're interested in a round-table discussion of the pros/cons of the .357 sig as a caliber, check out episode 55 of the ProArms podcast at:

http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/07/11...sig-cartridge/

Folks like Mas Ayoob, Kathy Jackson and a number of other gun-world luminaries talk all about it.

Simeon

Thanks for the link Snevel, as to the question of recoil, I've read that it's actually less than the .40 but you pay for it with greater muzzle flash. I don't know this for a fact yet, but will pass it on when my barrel gets here.

I don't have a Glock, but I've been very pleased with the .357sig M&P I bought. The round shoots well. Recoil is not bad. The only down side to the round, it it's price and availability. I've had good luck with luckygunner.com's prices. Locally, it's outrageous and very hard to find.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have the 357Sig conversion barrel for my 229 in .40cal, quite accurate, noticeable differance in recoil from .40cal shooting 170gr SWC with 4.0gr titegroup vs 124gr XTP using 6grs Unique.

I am having a problem feeding the XTP's as they catch the bottom of the ramp, but regular TC and other JHP seem to work fine.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I've never had any feeding issues with 357sig. I've got a P229,P239, and (oh no) a Taurus 957. All more accurate then me and as hard as it is to believe, the Taurus has had God knows how many thousands of rounds through it.

VIP Member
    YOU'RE KILLING ME SMALLS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snevel View Post
    If you're interested in a round-table discussion of the pros/cons of the .357 sig as a caliber, check out episode 55 of the ProArms podcast at:

http://proarmspodcast.com/2010/07/11...sig-cartridge/

Folks like Mas Ayoob, Kathy Jackson and a number of other gun-world luminaries talk all about it.

Simeon
    ^^^^^^I was just going to throw this out there^^^^^^^^^

This round has been driving me crazy for the last few years, and I was looking long and hard whether to get my M&P in .357 sig or 9mm, onacona, (On account of) ammo availability, and decided with the 9mm. I believe I will be barrel/mag swapping back and forth soon, and it will be my carry round, and 9mm will be the practice round.
    There are too many agencies, people in the know, and overall positive stats to NOT seriously consider this round.

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
    Mark Twain
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks for the link Snevel, as to the question of recoil, I've read that it's actually less than the .40 but you pay for it with greater muzzle flash. I don't know this for a fact yet, but will pass it on when my barrel gets here.
    Glad to have been of help. Proarms and Gun Talk (w/ tom gresham) are my favorite gun podcasts. Good info and not too much politics.

Simeon

I've got the 357 SIG barrel for my P229, and I finally tried it out yesterday. I shot tighter groups with that than with the .40, but it was noticably louder and more poppy. I really enjoyed it though. That being said, a P229 is heavier in the front than a Glock, so the Glock might be even more poppy with it. If you don't mind and you still shoot well with it, I say go for it. I had a blast with the 357 SIG and I'm happy I have the barrel.

I bought an M&Pc in 357 Sig then ordered the 40 bbl, the gun uses the same mags and has been 100% reilable with either combination. The 357 is noticibly louder although I have not noticed much muzzel falsh like some say. The recoil is about the same as the 40, but the 357 seems to kick up where the 40 kicks up and has a slight twist. Id shoot the 357 all day if ammo was not so hard to find, at least I have a choice with 40 cal readily available.

I have .357 sig and .40 barrels for my Sig P239. The 180gr .40 is a significantly "lighter" recoil than the 125gr .357 sig round. The muzzle energy values from Speer matches that feel. The .357 sig is a very sharp snap, where the .40 is more of a push by comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links