(1) 9mm Through Windshield? (2) Any +P+ Ammo?

This is a discussion on (1) 9mm Through Windshield? (2) Any +P+ Ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (1) I just sold my XDM 40 and bought another 9mm. I wanted to cut down on practice so that I could shoot much more ...

(1) I just sold my XDM 40 and bought another 9mm. I wanted to cut down on practice so that I could shoot much more often. I just realized that now my largest caliber is 9mm.....the XDM was spend most of it's time in my truck. Not that I want to ever shoot through the windshield, but in the vehicle, the chances of having to do so is obviously much higher. I'm worried that the 124 +P's that I carry might have an issue making it through the glass and staying on target? What are your thoughts?

(2) I hear of +P+ ammo, and was wondering who makes a good load in that configuration? Think that would be a better choice for my proposed confrontation? My Kimber Pro Carry II is rated for such ammo. And I'm sure my M&P 9c wouldn't split in have if I had to shoot a few rounds of it.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I think Winchester Ranger has one in 127 grain +P+ in a LEO 50 count box.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Instead of going to +P+ I would look at the 147gr loadings by federal, Winchester and Gold Dot. I believe there is a consensus that the 147 gr loads are better penetrators for windshields and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Instead of going to +P+ I would look at the 147gr loadings by federal, Winchester and Gold Dot. I believe there is a consensus that the 147 gr loads are better penetrators for windshields and such.
    +1
    This is my understanding as well.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot1.htm

As far as I know NO caliber truly remains "on target" check out the above link
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

That is also true, even for most rifle rounds.

It's Winchester Ranger 124 gr +P+. Good place to find it is Ammoman. It will also cycle the gun quicker. I would stick with this over 147 gr ammo in general for penetration purposes. All ammo will deflect going thru a car windshield .... It will typically go downward, so aim high. What I always learned was ... 2 rapid shots to break glass, 3 rd shot on target.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot1.htm

As far as I know NO caliber truly remains "on target" check out the above link
    Correcto Mundo!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There are 9mm rounds that shoot through windshields now, or is it the newer cars that allow this?
    Back in the eighties, at an advanced combat handgun course, we had an old car we were training with. It was probably a mid seventies something... big. The instructor demonstrated how .38's. .45's, 9mm's could not penetrate either the doors or even the side window (at any kind of slight angle), let alone the windshield or rear window. And all of us got the chance to empty our clips and cylinders from around 20yds away with not one round penetrating. And I remember a few rounds fired point blank from inside the car at the windshield. The bullets were found where the windshield meets the dash. Those were .45 hardball.

That said, day two I brought my scoped .44 magnum out and fired a shot at the car's rear window from a ways off... at least 100 yds... the JHP went through the rear window, through the seat and was found in the radio.

So I thought it was only high velocity rounds that could penetrate a car window, at least back then.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    There are 9mm rounds that shoot through windshields now, or is it the newer cars that allow this?
    Back in the eighties, at an advanced combat handgun course, we had an old car we were training with. It was probably a mid seventies something... big. The instructor demonstrated how .38's. .45's, 9mm's could not penetrate either the doors or even the side window (at any kind of slight angle), let alone the windshield or rear window. And all of us got the chance to empty our clips and cylinders from around 20yds away with not one round penetrating. And I remember a few rounds fired point blank from inside the car at the windshield. The bullets were found where the windshield meets the dash. Those were .45 hardball.

That said, day two I brought my scoped .44 magnum out and fired a shot at the car's rear window from a ways off... at least 100 yds... the JHP went through the rear window, through the seat and was found in the radio.

So I thought it was only high velocity rounds that could penetrate a car window, at least back then.
    That's strange, because in my younger days I spent a lot of time at an uncles ranch that had a junked pick up sitting in one corner. I remember shooting and completely shattering the side windows with a BB gun.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post

Most decent 9mm and above rounds will penetrate a car door or window fairly easy...how good the ballistics are afterward is the more important point.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

That truly is amazing then... Makes me wanna go out and try it again. If nothing else, it would be fun.
    I'm going to the gunshop today, the same one that offered the course way back when. I'm going to ask the owner, who took the course at the same time I did, if he remembers and what he thinks.
    I see can shooting through the door of a new vehicle being much different today, but I don't think the glass has changed that much. Maybe it has... FWIW, putting 500 rounds through our guns over the weekend, I'm pretty sure most of us were using range ammo, PMC, Eagle and the likes. Not sure they had Blazer back then.

A windshield is going to be much harder to penetrate that a side window.

HST 147 grain or the HST 147 +P no problem @ all.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Side windows aren't safety glass and shatter easily, certainly with a BB gun! Get a '46 Plymouth for a getaway car. Things were made out of cast iron. Today's cars are almost paper thin. Lean on them and they dent.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links