9mm for a G26.

This is a discussion on 9mm for a G26. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just purchased a g26 with Night sights for my wife. She picked it. I carry 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot in my P228. I carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm for a G26.

9mm for a G26.

Just purchased a g26 with Night sights for my wife. She picked it. I carry 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot in my P228. I carry Gold Dot in all my SD handguns. It has been a very consistent performer. For those of you with a g26 or familiar with GDHP, what ammo do you use to get the most consistent performance. What grain weight seems to do the best? I am considering GDHP Short Barrel
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Ayoob said he likes Cor-Bon 115 gr +P JHP's

Distinguished Member
    I asked about short barrel 40 ammo here a few weeks ago, if you search on it you can find what people posted. I also googled the subject and found TONS of stuff as you might imagine.

We use HST 147 grain in her G26 and HST 230 grain in my G37.
    SC-CWP
    AZ-CWP
    I rather be safe then sorry.
    It's better to have it when you need it then need it and dont have it.

HST, Ranger Talon LEO, Corbon DPX, cant go wrong with any of these
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -Suzanna Gratia Hupp

My #1 choice: WW RA9TA, 127gr. +P+
    #2: 124gr. +P Gold Dot

The shorter the barrel , the heavier the bullet. Short barrels already give up any velocity advantage a cartridge has, and light bullets shed velocity faster than service length, so any advantage of plus p is negated. Heavier bullets do not depend on high speed as much for proper penetration. I use a plus p 147 grain in my 26, which has killed a few farm hogs and a white tail doe, so I think based upon terminal performance I witnessed on these, it is the way to go in short barrels. You want penetration first, and proper expansion should be a secondary consideration.

124gt +P's GD's Most accurate out of my 9's ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

As GM10mm stated a short barrel may effect performance. Contrary to the likes of many I stagger load my mags, 124g +P, GDHP with 147g HST.

Personally, I've always had good reasons to carry the 124gr+P GDHPs. My favorite actually for many years. When I got my wife her G26, we tried a few (not wanting to deplete my current stock of GDHPs), and I stumbled upon several boxes of HST 124gr+p at a gun show at a good deal. These seem to work well for her, and the pistol. Recoil? How cares really? So long as it's manageable for the shooter. First time I've actually shot the baby Glock in 9mm....(I started with the G27 in 40S&W) but that's what my wife was set on, and she tried one out before I knew that's what I was going to get her for her birthday. I like the HST 124gr+P out of her G26...and she works well with it. I'll stick with the GDHPs in my G19, and she's got her own PD ammo. Thing is............(and I'm an Ayoob fan too)....Ayoob is an experienced shooter and a veteran for sure. I've got some 115gr+P CorBon ammo back in the coffers...and I've tried it out. Thing is....it's been so long ago, and I've never tried it in the G26 personally. In my opinion...and the way I'm seeing it from a little experience with the 9mm.....I'm thinking the 'short barrel' ammo is still just a marketing tactic. Faster...or heavier? Everything in ballistics seems to be a compromise. Even so with pistols and the selection of PD ammo. The science behind it all still remains rather plain and simple E=MC˛. Field tests and what's on paper may differ according to conditions. I figure any 9mm+P round is attempting to be a decent 40S&W round. I do know the 9mm has it's place, and I carry one occasionally. Thing is.....balance....there always needs to be some form of balance....and this will vary with the shooter. Practice is what gets you where you need to be, and everyone should practice as often as possible to maintain what they have acquired. In my experience, practice with 147gr FMJ and 124gr+P achieves the best balance for feel, and recoil. You go to the 115gr+P and things change especially if you're a novice, and the muzzle flip and a second follow up shot may take away any advantage sought with the lighter/faster projectile. In which case, the 40S&W might be better than worrying about the performance out of your 9mm with specific ammo. We're all not experts like Masaad Ayoob. You choose a 9mm in any size, and all you need to do to feel secure with your pistol and choice of ammo.....is to hit what you're aiming at, and keep shooting until the threat no longer exists. There is no magic ammo, and the one stop shot is still gambling on the unknown (even with the 10mm). Way too many variables to get tied up with or seek something specific for a specific purpose. Short barrel............9 rounds instead of 15..........hollow points or FMJ? The tools you use are what you make them. Using them as efficiently and effectively as possible seem to be the question. I say forget about the hype and the marketing schemes, and just use what works best for you and your pistol. Focus more on surviving a deadly encounter than paying more for an ammo somebody else recommends is best for you to use. Be safe....shoot straight.....aim well......and neutralize the target. Nothing else really matters.

Speer 124gr. +P GDHP
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Personally, I've always had good reasons to carry the 124gr+P GDHPs. My favorite actually for many years. When I got my wife her G26, we tried a few (not wanting to deplete my current stock of GDHPs), and I stumbled upon several boxes of HST 124gr+p at a gun show at a good deal. These seem to work well for her, and the pistol. Recoil? How cares really? So long as it's manageable for the shooter. First time I've actually shot the baby Glock in 9mm....(I started with the G27 in 40S&W) but that's what my wife was set on, and she tried one out before I knew that's what I was going to get her for her birthday. I like the HST 124gr+P out of her G26...and she works well with it. I'll stick with the GDHPs in my G19, and she's got her own PD ammo. Thing is............(and I'm an Ayoob fan too)....Ayoob is an experienced shooter and a veteran for sure. I've got some 115gr+P CorBon ammo back in the coffers...and I've tried it out. Thing is....it's been so long ago, and I've never tried it in the G26 personally. In my opinion...and the way I'm seeing it from a little experience with the 9mm.....I'm thinking the 'short barrel' ammo is still just a marketing tactic. Faster...or heavier? Everything in ballistics seems to be a compromise. Even so with pistols and the selection of PD ammo. The science behind it all still remains rather plain and simple E=MC˛. Field tests and what's on paper may differ according to conditions. I figure any 9mm+P round is attempting to be a decent 40S&W round. I do know the 9mm has it's place, and I carry one occasionally. Thing is.....balance....there always needs to be some form of balance....and this will vary with the shooter. Practice is what gets you where you need to be, and everyone should practice as often as possible to maintain what they have acquired. In my experience, practice with 147gr FMJ and 124gr+P achieves the best balance for feel, and recoil. You go to the 115gr+P and things change especially if you're a novice, and the muzzle flip and a second follow up shot may take away any advantage sought with the lighter/faster projectile. In which case, the 40S&W might be better than worrying about the performance out of your 9mm with specific ammo. We're all not experts like Masaad Ayoob. You choose a 9mm in any size, and all you need to do to feel secure with your pistol and choice of ammo.....is to hit what you're aiming at, and keep shooting until the threat no longer exists. There is no magic ammo, and the one stop shot is still gambling on the unknown (even with the 10mm). Way too many variables to get tied up with or seek something specific for a specific purpose. Short barrel............9 rounds instead of 15..........hollow points or FMJ? The tools you use are what you make them. Using them as efficiently and effectively as possible seem to be the question. I say forget about the hype and the marketing schemes, and just use what works best for you and your pistol. Focus more on surviving a deadly encounter than paying more for an ammo somebody else recommends is best for you to use. Be safe....shoot straight.....aim well......and neutralize the target. Nothing else really matters.
    +1! Training, shot placement and good follow up shots > the magic bullet or bullet weight.

HSTs get my vote
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I have done my own tests and there is no better 9mm round than the Federal HST, I prefer the 124 grain. I shoot them in a Beretta 92F, G19, Steyr M1A1, Sig P228 and they open up each and every time. Do your own testing and see what you think. I 100% confident that if I do my part the HST will do theirs.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

after testing SD ammo, I settled on 147 gr Winchester rangers for my G26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links