Double Tap 380ACP vs. PDX1 or Critical Defense?

This is a discussion on Double Tap 380ACP vs. PDX1 or Critical Defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning, Does anybody have any experience with all 3, and can make a suggestion as to which is better? I've been trying to find ...

Thread: Double Tap 380ACP vs. PDX1 or Critical Defense?

Double Tap 380ACP vs. PDX1 or Critical Defense?

Good morning,
    Does anybody have any experience with all 3, and can make a suggestion as to which is better? I've been trying to find PDX1's or Critical Defense based on Claybreaker0's posting of tests he did. Unfortunately nobody has stock right now. All I can find is Hydrashoks.

2. Remove Ads

Whichever one shoots to the Point of Aim of your pistol.

At my snubby class last weekend, several students were surprised at the difference in Point of Impact using varying types of carry ammo.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

Senior Moderator
    I don't have info on the three that you listed but out of my Makarov and Bersa .380's I have found the Hydroshocks feed and fire the best out of the limited types of defensive ammo that I have tried
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have no experience with any of the rounds mentioned. However, I wouldn't recommend any of um over the Buffalo Bore 100gr Hard Cast Flat nose round. IMO, it's the best .380 round out there. In fact, I've parked several of my .380's cause they are not rated for the stuff. I have some of the BB 95gr +p JHP stuff too, but for penetration and FPE the 100gr stuff wins the day IMB. JMO
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Check Midway USA or Natchez

Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    Good morning,
    Does anybody have any experience with all 3, and can make a suggestion as to which is better? I've been trying to find PDX1's or Critical Defense based on Claybreaker0's posting of tests he did. Unfortunately nobody has stock right now. All I can find is Hydrashoks.
    The major manufacturers have the science of bullet technology to the point that it really boils down to where it should always be SHOT PLACEMENT.

Find out which brand your gun is 100% reliable with. If the gun doesn't work, it's a small funny shaped rock.

Next is accuracy. I mean does the bullet have the same Point Of Aim / Point of Impact (POA/POI)? If you find a load you really like and it is 100% reliable and shoots nice sized groups, you can adjust your sights to change the POI. Your next challenge is to find cheap practice ammo with the same POA/POI as your carry ammo. You can usually get close with similar bullet weights and pressures (+P not +P). YMMV
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

This is an old post, but Basspro has both right now

I have run both Critical Defense and Doubletap's ammo through my P3AT, and found that the reliability and POI was better with the Doubletap.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I have no experience with any of the rounds mentioned. However, I wouldn't recommend any of um over the Buffalo Bore 100gr Hard Cast Flat nose round. IMO, it's the best .380 round out there. In fact, I've parked several of my .380's cause they are not rated for the stuff. I have some of the BB 95gr +p JHP stuff too, but for penetration and FPE the 100gr stuff wins the day IMB. JMO
    Gotta agree, but in +P, if your gun can handle it, although it is sure not for plinking.....

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=127
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Gotta agree, but in +P, if your gun can handle it, although it is sure not for plinking.....
    - I third that suggestion if your gun can handle +P. It's a very hot round and is quite a handful.

I think PDX is the only one that has sufficient penetration out the three you listed. I carry FMJ in my .380 due to concerns I have over sufficient penetration from most of the JHP rounds out there. Expansion does you no good if it doesn't penetrate enough.

Buffalo bore all the way. Not bad to deal with. Here is me using the 90gr JHP "+p" ( I put +P in quotes because there is no standard for .380) in my P3AT using pocket carry ( which I determined is not my choice of carry if I have to run and gun due to the draw delay)

Every shot fired this day was with Buffalo Bore 90 gr JHP. I put over 400 rounds of this stuff through my P3AT before I was happy with the reliability of both the weapon and the ammo.

Here is a good view of the actual recoil from a static firing position

Links