Small Cailber Failures - Page 4

Small Cailber Failures

This is a discussion on Small Cailber Failures within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently saw a post by a LEO (or maybe paramedic) who did a study based on caliber taken over a long period of time. ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Small Cailber Failures

jrs
    I recently saw a post by a LEO (or maybe paramedic) who did a study based on caliber taken over a long period of time. He gave statistics of how many shots to stop the attack, deaths, etc for each caliber handgun, as well as for shotgun. I'm not sure if it was in this forum or usa carry. It was surprising to me how little difference the size of the round made. As you would expect, the shotgun far outperformed any and all handguns.
    Based on the results, it appeared that actually hitting the BG with a small, well placed round was more effective than missing altogether or hitting the BG on the arm with a large caliber wepon you can't control.
    I just wish I could remember the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jrs View Post
    I recently saw a post by a LEO (or maybe paramedic) who did a study based on caliber taken over a long period of time. He gave statistics of how many shots to stop the attack, deaths, etc for each caliber handgun, as well as for shotgun. I'm not sure if it was in this forum or usa carry. It was surprising to me how little difference the size of the round made. As you would expect, the shotgun far outperformed any and all handguns.
    Based on the results, it appeared that actually hitting the BG with a small, well placed round was more effective than missing altogether or hitting the BG on the arm with a large caliber wepon you can't control.
    I just wish I could remember the thread.
    This one? http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...rspective.html
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    The .22LR wouldn't have entered the skull in that situation.
    Are you honestly going to tell me a .22LR at point blank range will not enter somebody's skull? Or is there something specific about this scenario that makes it different? There have been many deaths as a result of .22LR rounds penetrating people's skulls.
    ASSA9 likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Are you honestly going to tell me a .22LR at point blank range will not enter somebody's skull? Or is there something specific about this scenario that makes it different? There have been many deaths as a result of .22LR rounds penetrating people's skulls.
    Out of a full size rifle? Probably.

Out of a 5" pistol? Probably not.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

jrs
    Ran across the article this morning.
    "An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power"

Below is the link.

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Out of a full size rifle? Probably.

Out of a 5" pistol? Probably not.
    That is ridiculous. It is a well known fact that hitmen have used silenced .22 rounds to the head. Typically they would use subsonic rounds for extra quietness. You can bet if a subsonic .22 round will penetrate than a supersonic round certainly would.

There was a man who died recently (we discussed it here) because he put his .22 pistol to his head to show how well the safety (didn't) work and blew his brains out.

Another guy on the internet has a website (I could find it if you'd like) where he tests the round on a deer's skull that he had just killed and it went right through.

Remember the maniac at Virginia Tech? He carried two guns with him, a Glock 19 and a Walther P22. Most of his shots were headshots, alternating between both guns. Plenty of people at that college died that day of headshots with a .22LR.

I think this is why the .22 is so often dissed as a good self-defense round. People like you are so sure that they won't stop/kill people that they never bother to actually do any research on it.
    ASSA9 likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links