tested 75gr TAP in my 1/9 AR.

Tested 75gr TAP in my 1/9 AR.

This is a discussion on Tested 75gr TAP in my 1/9 AR. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I took the AR out to the range to try out the new 75 grain TAP. My barrel is 16" 1/9 twist. I wanted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tested 75gr TAP in my 1/9 AR.

tested 75gr TAP in my 1/9 AR.

Well I took the AR out to the range to try out the new 75 grain TAP. My barrel is 16" 1/9 twist. I wanted to test this stuff before I bought a bunch. After today I won't be buying anymore haha. I'm sure the TAP is good stuff it just did t work well in my gun.

I started off zeroing my holosight at 25 yards with 55fmj. Got it zeroed and dead on. Then tried the TAP at 25 yards. It grouped well but was abou 3 inches low but center. I took it to 100 yards and aimed high and made a 3-4 inch group of 3 hits at the bottom corner. I shot 5 times only three hit the target. I'm going to go back back tomorrow and verify zero with the 55fmj stuff at 100 yards.

Maybe my barrel just doesn't have what it takes for the 75 grain stuff :( I'll just keep the last 30 rounds for close range self defense if needed.

Should I really have to readjust zero that much at 100 yards? I didn't expect it to be right on with 55fmj stuff but about 10 inches low at 100 yards is crazy! What is acceptable? What should I expect?

Should I just trust 55fmj for self defense? I know it's the 62grain green tip everybody complains about poor stopping power.

Last edited by RKM; September 28th, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

Senior Moderator
    I like the 55 gr TAP for social work, myself. I'm sure not going to volunteer to stand in front of any M193 (55gr ball), but why not get the additional advantages of the JHP?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Should I really have to readjust zero that much at 100 yards?
    It depends, but don't be suprised if the answer comes back affirmative.

Remember this: "Different bullet, different zero."

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Were the holes from the 75 grain bullets perfectly round, or out-of-round.

IF the 1/9 twist isn't stabilizing the 75 grain rounds, they'll show some evidence of keyholing.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Nope they were stable (no keyholes) and the groups were ok. Just WAAAYYY off target. I've shot both 55 FMJ and 50 HP without changing zero. Just because they're similar weights? I really don't want to have to change zero that much. It's not like I'm plinking with the TAP. I got it for close range self defense. I still have a full mag loaded with the TAP but I'll keep it for some kind of 2012, SHTF close engagement type of thing :) Under stress, I wouldn't noticed being 3 inches low at 25 yards anyway. 10 inches at 100 I'd probably notice though haha. I doubt I'll be defending myself from that distance anyway. And if I was, a .308 remmy 700 is in my future :)

I added a picture just for viewing pleasure. I should have taken pics of the targets, but I was too bummed out :(

You can't expect a close shot to shot comparison of the two. You already know the longer surface of the heavier bullet will have a big impact on how it shoots. A 10 inch difference at 100 yards is absolutley anticipated. Plus the powders and primers are completely different giving it different burn characteristics. Combine all that, and now are you suprised? If the Tap groups well, happiness is a simple dope change away. Pic your poison, and site in for it.

Thanks :) I appreciate it. I honestly wasn't expecting that much of a difference. I thought it was the 1/9 twists fault. But like I said groups were ok and no keyholes. Just WAY off.

I'd rather keep zero at 100 yards for 55fmj and keep the TAP for up close and personal.

I was extremly lucky in that my reloads for deer hunting which uses a solid copper bullet and gives a lot longer bearing surface hit right to the point of aim at 100 yards as my fmjs. Go figure.

I'm also looking into some Federal 64gr TRU Soft Points. They would still need a different zero then 55 FMJ's, I'm assuming, but they'd probably be closer than the 75gr TAP, I'm guessing because they're a bit lighter?

I know the Sierra 77gr MatchKings require a 1:7/1:8" twist. Try the 62 gr TAP's, or whatever's close to that. Go to Remington's and Winchester's website and play with their ballistics software or check out Shoot! Ballistics Software.

This article has some very good info on choosing the right 5.56 round for your needs. I would avoid any of the thinly jacketed 55gr HPs. They're more suited for coyotes than HD use.

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I'm also looking into some Federal 64gr TRU Soft Points. They would still need a different zero then 55 FMJ's, I'm assuming, but they'd probably be closer than the 75gr TAP, I'm guessing because they're a bit lighter?
    The thing is, each barrel no matter if same make and model, have their own shooting personality. Now it would sound reasonable from what we think we understand. That the lighter TAP round would more closley shoot with your fmjs. But, talk to your rifle, give it a few to spit downrange, and it will tell you everything you want to know.

The heavier bullets do better in a faster twist barrel. The 1/9 is best suited to 55gr. and lower. Some will shoot 68/69 gr. well. Depends on what it likes
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

After shooting the 75 grain TAP, I noticed just last night my HOLOsight got knocked loose on the top rail. I think it was ok while I was shooting. It made a tight group, just was off target compared to the 55's

But anyway, I went back and re-sighted my 55 grain FMJ at 100 yards. At first I was about 6 inches low and right. I adjusted it, so it's just a touch high so it'd still hit good at 25 yards. I couldn't sight at 25 yards because the local Police were there doing qualifying or something. These FMJ's I'm using don't group very well. I've used 50 and 55 grain OTM's before for plinking and they were VERY accurate. About 2 inch groups at 100 yards, and that's GOOD for me. The FMJ's were about 5 inches :( I'm no expert, plus I'm using no magnification, which I think would help. Either way, I got the sight in the ballpark for standard 55 FMJ. I'm happy, for now. Hopefully the 1000 rounds of 55 FMJ that's being delivered Friday will be accurate. And maybe I won't have to adjust my zero :)

The only reason I was looking at the 64gr SP's is because, they're closer to 55's which I'd think I wouldn't be TOO far off 55 FMJ zero, atleast not as far as 75gr. They're a bit cheaper to stock up on than the TAP and even though my 1/9 will stabilize a 75gr, the 64gr will probably shoot better, and a 64gr SP will still serve well good as a defensive round. I'm certainly not giving up my last 30 rounds of 75 gr TAP though >:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links