230 gr vs 200 in .45 ACP question

This is a discussion on 230 gr vs 200 in .45 ACP question within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. I've been happily & successfully practicing/carrying .45 ACP Fiocchi 230gr. Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo with my 5" Springfield Loaded for awhile. Not a ...

Thread: 230 gr vs 200 in .45 ACP question

230 gr vs 200 in .45 ACP question

Hi all.

I've been happily & successfully practicing/carrying .45 ACP Fiocchi 230gr. Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo with my 5" Springfield Loaded for awhile. Not a single problem so I have a stash that should last awhile.

However, I have recently acquired a Smith & Wesson 1911ES Scandium Alloy frame that is a pleasure to carry and, with the 230 gr. round, has a tad more 'kick' and muzzle flip than with the all-steel 5" 1911.

I tried & compared a box of 45 ACP Fiocchi 200gr Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo from both guns & found the latter seems to handle easier than the full-house 230gr load in the lighter pistol.

Anyone see any reason why a lighter load in the smaller gun would be an issue for a self defense round?

Thanks-
    -Skippy
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    I used to carry 185gr +P in a 3.8" barrel. You'll have slightly more velocity which is an advantage in the shorter barrel. But lighter rounds, lose velocity quicker at longer ranges, but that shouldn't really matter since handgun defense is usually at very close range.

I dont think you will have a problem at all as long as they feed ok in the gun. I seem to remember that Fiocchi has been using Hornady XTP bullets, I dont know if its in all their loads though. Check the box, it should have a code on the side flap lower right corner that says XTPHP.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    Hi all.

I've been happily & successfully practicing/carrying .45 ACP Fiocchi 230gr. Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo with my 5" Springfield Loaded for awhile. Not a single problem so I have a stash that should last awhile.

However, I have recently acquired a Smith & Wesson 1911ES Scandium Alloy frame that is a pleasure to carry and, with the 230 gr. round, has a tad more 'kick' and muzzle flip than with the all-steel 5" 1911.

I tried & compared a box of 45 ACP Fiocchi 200gr Jacketed Hollow Point Ammo from both guns & found the latter seems to handle easier than the full-house 230gr load in the lighter pistol.

Anyone see any reason why a lighter load in the smaller gun would be an issue for a self defense round?

Thanks-
    -Skippy
    Not at all. Lighter loads will have more velocity. Velocity does relate to muzzle flip depending on the load, and the pistol, and the shooter. Whatever works best for you in the given pistol is always a benefit. IMO.....E=MC˛ and it's always a trade off or compromise. I use 185gr-230gr in my full size 45acp now. The 230gr definitely see less muzzle flip. In an alloy frame? I'd use the heavier bullet with a non-+p address for delivery. I figure you've found the best during your trials.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    If you are going to shoot me with either a 230gr or a 200 gr...I choose neither!!!

Either will deter...
    Proud NRA member

Senior Moderator
    When in doubt...shoot again.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You should be fine. I carry around 185 Gold Dots these days since it seems to be a real bear to track down 230 in a quality JHP loading that is actually in stock and not priced more than $1/round.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The 1911 was originally designed to shoot 200 grain bullets, but upped to 230 at the military's request. I think a 200 grn load is a good tradeoff between 185 and 230 grns for velocity versus penetration.

While there will be some difference in velocity, thus trajectory, the difference in a normal SD range, say 25 yds or less, will be nil. Shooting at a BG 75 yards away will make a difference but the chances of having to do that are pretty low. And if you know how much difference (most wouldn't bother to find out), you've got it covered. There will be some change in POI, but a range session will show that.

And with my usual flair, I don't think the person on the receiving end is going to want to argue with either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    All things considered, a 200gr. bullet is still one big slug.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by theheater905 View Post
    I dont think you will have a problem at all as long as they feed ok in the gun. I seem to remember that Fiocchi has been using Hornady XTP bullets, I dont know if its in all their loads though. Check the box, it should have a code on the side flap lower right corner that says XTPHP.
    No, these particular bullets are not the XTP. I did try a box of the Hornady XTPs & they didn't feed well because, i think, of the conical-shape rather than the rounded shape.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    You should be fine. I carry around 185 Gold Dots these days since it seems to be a real bear to track down 230 in a quality JHP loading that is actually in stock and not priced more than $1/round.
    Are the 185gr Gold Dots rounded, like an FMJ, or conical, like Hornady XTPs?

They are pricey, but the Fiocchi JHPs are not bonded so they do have a tendency to separate like most other non-bonded JHPs. I would consider carrying Gold Dots but simply can't afford to regularly practice with them after shooting maybe 50-100 rounds to see how well my 1911s handle them.

I actually carry 230 Gr. Ball ammo in my Combat Commander.....feeds great.......and I know, I'm a dinosaur, but who can argue with success.......it's still being used by our military and it works. Great penetration for one large round especially in CCB conditions.

A faster round is always my choice for short range engagements. If I have to fight with a pistol (no matter the calliber) at ranges beyond 15 yards, I will have bigger issues than the pistol round I am fighting with. In a 4" 45 barrel, I will choose the lighter round everytime. Just my thoughts. Give several rounds a try and see what you are the most accurate with and what your pistol cycles the best with. Good luck.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Links