Buffalo Bore 147 Grain +P+ JHP in G19

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore 147 Grain +P+ JHP in G19 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, After doing a lot of reading I'm defintely going to try out some Buffalo Bore 90 or 95 Grain +P JHP 380ACP in my ...

Thread: Buffalo Bore 147 Grain +P+ JHP in G19

Hello,
    After doing a lot of reading I'm defintely going to try out some Buffalo Bore 90 or 95 Grain +P JHP 380ACP in my P232, but I figured I'd order some to try in my G19 too.
    Does anybody have experience w/the BB 147 Grain +P+ JHP rounds in G19?

Not Buffalo Bore, but I hear they make quality stuff. Can't go wrong with 147 grain either. Glocks eat the super hot Nato stuff up, so you should be good to go.

Careful

Quote Originally Posted by dbramhall View Post
    Hello,
    After doing a lot of reading I'm defintely going to try out some Buffalo Bore 90 or 95 Grain +P JHP 380ACP in my P232, but I figured I'd order some to try in my G19 too.
    Does anybody have experience w/the BB 147 Grain +P+ JHP rounds in G19?
    I have been lurking for a while, but decided to join the forum on this post.

If you choose to use a +P+ as a defensive load for your G19, I *highly* recommend upgrading your guide rod.

I never used +P or +P+ loads in my relatively new G19 until I took it out to try the Buffalo Bore 147 gr +P+. After 5 rounds, my slide failed to complete the cycle. The trigger would not reset and I could not remove the slide. After a few seconds of rigorous manipulation, I was able to get the slide fully forward, squeeze the trigger and remove the slide. This is what I saw.

glockbreak1.jpg

The back of the guide rod had broken. In Glock's defense, I was able to put the guide rod back in and fired 30 rounds of fiocchi 147gr without malfunction.

The other guide rod and spring in the picture is from a G17L. This guide rod is steel and the spring is non-captive. The G17L loved the 15 rounds of Buffalo Bore I ran through her.

As I stated above, if you're going to use a hot load in your Glock, I highly recommend an upgraded spring and a steel guide rod. You don't want to have a bad guy attack your family, fire one round and be out of the fight because your guide rod couldn't handle your defensive loads.

I have fired thousands of Nato fodder thru my glocks without a hitch, and use it stock . Whatever happened to the above guide rod is not in anyway a common occurance. It is possible that it was a factory defect. Glocks were designed for military use with military grade ammo.

If I was going to run +p+ , I would go with a 124 grain loading over the 147 grain load.

Additionally, I would rather use Double Tap Ammo. They come in 50 round boxes for not much more than BB sells 25 round boxes for. And probably most important, they use name brand bullets of good reputation , where BB uses some bullet froma a manafacturer called Montana Bullets. I have heard of them, but know nothing of any independent testing on their bullets, and the bullets are very important in self defense performance.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I'm not dissing Glocks, but I know for a fact I'm not the only person who has had this failure and that the other failures came from other +p and +p+ loads using various bullets, which is why there are plenty of after-market fixes for the problem. I realize that this does not happen in a majority of cases, but for the price of $20, I don't think I'd blow it off and hope mine doesn't fail at a critical moment. Hey, that's just me. Everyone has their own risk threshold.

In addition, if you call Glock (and I would encourage anyone owning a Glock to do so) and ask about +p+, they'll tell you that Glocks can handle +p+, but they recommend either upgrading the recoil rod and spring or replacing the stock captive rod and spring more frequently.

Concerning BB, I agree with you. Too expensive and too untested to trust for personal defense. Fun to test, though. I should do more out of the G17L. I'm wondering whether the performance would be enhanced by the longer (6.02") barrel. I think it's pretty useless in a G19. Well, useless for anything except breaking the guide rod.

Didnt mean to insinuate that you were. And I agree that it is worth the piece of mind to upgrade. I have just never had an issue of that nature, and I have owned Glocks since they first hit our shores in the late 80"s. Nor have I ever known of this happening to anyone that I know personally.

If you look at DT's info, their 9mm loads are pretty decent even in the shorter barrels.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have fired thousands of Nato fodder thru my glocks without a hitch, and use it stock . Whatever happened to the above guide rod is not in anyway a common occurance. It is possible that it was a factory defect. Glocks were designed for military use with military grade ammo.

If I was going to run +p+ , I would go with a 124 grain loading over the 147 grain load.

Additionally, I would rather use Double Tap Ammo. They come in 50 round boxes for not much more than BB sells 25 round boxes for. And probably most important, they use name brand bullets of good reputation , where BB uses some bullet froma a manafacturer called Montana Bullets. I have heard of them, but know nothing of any independent testing on their bullets, and the bullets are very important in self defense performance.

All of this is man made and anything can happen. I am a Glock armorer and this is for the 9mm only. They will handle up to 43,000 PSI your +P+ loads are on the averge 42,000 PSI depending on how much you shoot take an armorers course either from Glock or buy a video buy spare parts and maintain your weapon.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

I really like the BB .380+P round for my Kahr P380, but I stick with Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P for my Kahr PM9 and Glock 19.

I have heard that BB mixes powders to achieve these high velocities. If that's true, it's bad medicine and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. As a matter of fact, for what they charge for it, there are better options out there.
    It Is Easy To Be Brave From A Distance ~ Aesop

Links