Ranger .40 S&W JHP180 gr. Subsonic?

This is a discussion on Ranger .40 S&W JHP180 gr. Subsonic? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked a few boxes (Ranger LE .40 JHP 180gr.Subsonic) for Defensive carry,Are they as good as the Ranger T's? I tried to research them ...

Thread: Ranger .40 S&W JHP180 gr. Subsonic?

Ranger .40 S&W JHP180 gr. Subsonic?

Just picked a few boxes (Ranger LE .40 JHP 180gr.Subsonic) for Defensive carry,Are they as good as the Ranger T's? I tried to research them on line for performance and couldn't find any stats on it. Any body here tried them or have a any input on this ammo? I compared them to WWB .40 JHP 180gr. and they look identical.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    While subsonic's are great when using a supressor, the low velocity tends to translate into poor expansion/penetration. However I have not tried them.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I kinda have to laugh when I see something like this big heavy bullet marketed as "subsonic." There's not a 180 grain .40 S+W I can find that's within 10% of sonic velocity, and even the hot Cor-Bon 165 grain loads are safely subsonic in pistol-length barrels. (For reference, the speed of sound is around 1160 ft/sec at sea level, depending on temperature and humidity.)

Much has been made of "subsonic" ammo, which IIRC made its debut with some heavy 9mm loads about a decade ago. It's a consideration if you are indeed using a suppressor and have a legitimate need to keep things hushed, and rimfire target shooters with itty-bitty 40 gr bullets are well aware of the consequences of bullets going sonic. Realistically, for the big, heavy bullets used in defensive handgun calibers, whether the bullet goes sonic or not matters little accuracy-wise or at the receiving end.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I order them thinking they were the Ranger T's...I'm gland I only order 100 rds., I guess I wont be using these for self defense.

Faster is better in a pistol round. 180's will typically fly at 950-1000 fps. I don't use them for this reason. I use 135, 155 in each of my 40 pistols. Speed kills, is my motto for pistol rounds.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    they are not like the Black talon....article I just read recently says the petals are not as sharp when they expand....but the SXT is still a respected round.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by peteG30 View Post
    Any body here tried them or have a any input on this ammo? I compared them to WWB .40 JHP 180gr. and they look identical.
    What you have is very probably an over-run of the contract ammo used by the California Highway Patrol. It's a conventional, first-generation jhp, nothing fancy. While it doesn't measure up to better-engineered, more modern jhp loads in performance, the CHP and other agencies used it for a lot of years with good results. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it if it was all I had.
    I count myself nowise weaker in war, or grapple of battle, than Grendel himself. --- The Beowulf Epic

peteG30, I believe the Ranger .40 JHP subsonic are the round that Winchester makes to be the training or range equivalent of the RA40T duty ammo. That is, it should have the same point of impact as the RA40T, so that it can be used in training for proficiency with the more-costly duty round.
    Visit my Winchester Ranger Talon page for current pricing.

Some sub-sonic rounds when shot in a gun with a supressor on it will not always function the slide and that means a JAM followed by a clearance procedure. This often occurs in 9MM Sub-Sonic rounds. I have little info on 40S&W Sub Sonic issues as there is not a lot of info out there on 40S&W Sub Sonic.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Most handgun ammunition is subsonic. Winchester Ranger T's and Federal HST lead the pack in all-around performance for self defense. Add Speer Gold Dots and/or Winchester White Box (WWB) and you've covered the ammo brands 95% of PD's use.
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

What was true in 1989 is just as true now:

FBI report: Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

See page 14 (I would have copied the text and pasted it here, but the document won't allow it) for relevant info. The rest of it isn't bad, either.

Thumbs up

Scroll down to the last paragraph on the last page (#19), which sums things up pretty well.
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDelivery View Post
    What was true in 1989 is just as true now:

FBI report: Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

See page 14 (I would have copied the text and pasted it here, but the document won't allow it) for relevant info. The rest of it isn't bad, either.
    Absolutely correct sir. The article is a must read.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links