Federal HST Deal

This is a discussion on Federal HST Deal within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes. HST is crap. Do not buy it. Let me buy it. I'm not picky about ammo. Also, DPX, Black Hills Barnes Expanders, Ranger T, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Federal HST Deal

Yes.

HST is crap. Do not buy it.

Let me buy it. I'm not picky about ammo.

Also, DPX, Black Hills Barnes Expanders, Ranger T, Federal C9BPLE/C9BP/Federal Tactical & Gold Dot is also crap. Do not buy this stuff...

I'll buy it.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    And the data behind this assessment....?
    I used to carry this in my glock 23 , one day at the range ( thank God was at the range )I was testing my carry ammo , when I found 2 under powder bullet , after that day I switch to speer gold dot 180 grain

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Yes.

HST is crap. Do not buy it.

Let me buy it. I'm not picky about ammo.

Also, DPX, Black Hills Barnes Expanders, Ranger T, Federal C9BPLE/C9BP/Federal Tactical & Gold Dot is also crap. Do not buy this stuff...

I'll buy it.
    buy whatever you like this is America ,but I cant recommend this ammo , I used in my glock 23 and 27 pdx1, t-ranger, federal hydrashok 135, and 180 grain , black talon , speer gold dot , remington 180 grain, winchester white box , with no problems ,but HST are crap for me

Now that you've explained this a little more, it helps...

I've had underpowered ammo before. Winchester USA ammo. I have also had a HST with an oddly formed bullet seated into it that fired just fine.

Federal gave me 2 free boxes.

Hornady has had underpowered ammo before and has had some issues with TAP shotgun shells in the past.

These things happen. Learn how to quickly clear a malfunction under stress and move on.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'd be interested to hear about mass-produced ammo that DIDN'T spit out the occasional dud.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Look on youtube at tnoutdoors9 videos. He test a lot of ammo including HST's.
    There are several threads here on 9mm HST and .45 HST. By far the most reliable expanding round I have ever shot. Federal's 230 grain .45 HST round expand to the diameter of a quarter with six distinct wickedly ragged petals, every single time no matter what I shot it into or through.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    There are several threads here on 9mm HST and .45 HST. By far the most reliable expanding round I have ever shot. Federal's 230 grain .45 HST round expand to the diameter of a quarter with six distinct wickedly ragged petals, every single time no matter what I shot it into or through.
    Agreed.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

HST in .45 (230gr) is sort of like the holy grail to me, probably because I've never been able to get my hands on it even thought I've really wanted it. Now it seems a few boxes are trickling out here and there. Yet I'm still not sure if I can justify $40 + shipping just for a box of 50.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    HST in .45 (230gr) is sort of like the holy grail to me, probably because I've never been able to get my hands on it even thought I've really wanted it. Now it seems a few boxes are trickling out here and there. Yet I'm still not sure if I can justify $40 + shipping just for a box of 50.
    Ammunition To Go has em in stock right now. I suppose it comes down to if your loved ones life is worth $40. They have 9mm for $27.00 Never have figured out why I have to pay double for .45, just have to bite the bullet and pay up. Some things in life are like that.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Ammunition To Go has em in stock right now. I suppose it comes down to if your loved ones life is worth $40. They have 9mm for $27.00 Never have figured out why I have to pay double for .45, just have to bite the bullet and pay up. Some things in life are like that.
    What's weirder is that .40 S&W is $25.00. In the grand scheme of things, however, they probably produce at least twice as much 9mm and .40 as .45. It's worth it, though, in my opinion. [I picked up a few boxes myself! ]

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    HST= crap
    Did the rounds in question fail to cycle the slide,or stick in the barrel,I've carried and shot Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T series in all my carry guns and never had a hiccup.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    I used to carry this in my glock 23 , one day at the range ( thank God was at the range )I was testing my carry ammo , when I found 2 under powder bullet , after that day I switch to speer gold dot 180 grain
    Interesting. I've fired around 1,200 HSTs in total with zero malfunctions. Of those [EDIT: 1,200,] ~500 have been 147gr or 147gr +P, all of which have been fired in my P30 without issue. You're honestly the first person who has had anything bad to say about the HST, in my experience.
    Last edited by AZ Hawk; May 28th, 2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Number error and grammar.......

Wat happens if GD's do it? Are they then crap as well?
    Last edited by swinokur; May 29th, 2011 at 06:46 AM.

I've never had any problem with HST ammo, but then I don't shoot Glocks.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

sgb
    Anyone that posts a blanket "HST's are crap" has ZERO credibility with me
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links