Federal HST Deal - Page 3

Federal HST Deal

This is a discussion on Federal HST Deal within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sgb Anyone that posts a blanket "HST's are crap" has ZERO credibility with me You and me both....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Federal HST Deal

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Anyone that posts a blanket "HST's are crap" has ZERO credibility with me
    You and me both.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    What's weirder is that .40 S&W is $25.00. In the grand scheme of things, however, they probably produce at least twice as much 9mm and .40 as .45. It's worth it, though, in my opinion. [I picked up a few boxes myself! ]
    Yup, Figure the wife and I are worth the $40.00 actually I lucked out and had bought a bunch before the great ammo scare/shortage. Hopefully prices will settle back down a little.
    You and me both.
    Make it three
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    I believe the real formula is this:

(Thinking HSTs = crap) = CRAP
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    I used to carry this in my glock 23 , one day at the range ( thank God was at the range )I was testing my carry ammo , when I found 2 under powder bullet , after that day I switch to speer gold dot 180 grain
    Interesting. I've fired around 1,200 HSTs in total with zero malfunctions. Of those [EDIT: 1,200,] ~500 have been 147gr or 147gr +P, all of which have been fired in my P30 without issue. You're honestly the first person who has had anything bad to say about the HST, in my experience.
    I think that as with any other mass-produced product, faults certainly are not impossible.

However, as with AZ Hawk, I also have just over 1200 rounds (total) of Federal's 147 gr. (standard P9HST2) 9mm HST divided evenly through my 3 main SD/HD pistols (full-sized XDm9, XDm9 3.8 Compact, Ruger SR9c) and another 150 or so through my Kahr PM9.

I have not had any major issues with this particular cartridge - my current sole concern is with the fact that in my PM9, it seems to "hang" on the first round chambered (regardless of if I drop the slide with the slide-lock/release, per Kahr's recommendations, or if I "power-stroke") once the ramp gets a little dirty (50 shots or 250 shots, it doesn't matter). The 147 gr. Speer GDHP doesn't seem to have this issue, with my PM9. I've polished the ramp on my PM9 a little, and it seems to help, but I'm thinking I may administratively load my PM9 with the Speers, to just take this concern completely out of the equation.

I have not had any FTFeeds or FTFires with the 147 gr. HST. I also like the fact that at night, it doesn't seem to produce much of a visible muzzle blast, at least from my perspective.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links