Why does the military only use FMJ? - Page 2

Why does the military only use FMJ?

This is a discussion on Why does the military only use FMJ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The information I got was from my USMC recruiter (who was scout/sniper MOS) and IIRC from what he said, it was a UN thing. Don't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does the military only use FMJ?

The information I got was from my USMC recruiter (who was scout/sniper MOS) and IIRC from what he said, it was a UN thing. Don't know if it holds any water regarding the rules of land warfare.

Palmgopher, if the above was true, the way around it was in my original post.

If this is untrue, then I apoligize. I was speaking from information that was provided to me by what I deemed as a credible source.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm
    If this is untrue, then I apoligize. I was speaking from information that was provided to me by what I deemed as a credible source.
    No need to apologize, it's a common misconception. And usually there's some statistic to back it up, but you just have to think about it...I mean if .50BMG is outlawed, why? The only thing that's outlawed is a round that's designed to cause a superfelous injury, as far as I know, so what makes the .50BMG? Why not a .557 round, or .60 or .70? What about a 25mm round, or an A10's main gun?

Then when one tries to research it on google, all you're able to find is a bunch of forum posts.

I did manage to find a .ppt on the USMC website intitled "Law of War," dated August 2002, written by Col. Robert Maquire that specifcally states they are legal.

A decent discussion on the myth can be read here, if you're interested:
    http://forums.military.com/groupee/f.../5230082110001
    Keep in mind that most of it is just discussion, but those who cite written sources generally agree that it's perfectly legal

It's also interesting that every discussion of the ban of the weapon includes a loophole for the "rule," as well.

But like I said, it's a common misconception, no need to apologize. If you wouldn't have said it, I'm sure someone else would have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links