Buffalo Bore +P 95 Grain JHP or +P 100 Grain Flat Nose in Sig P232

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore +P 95 Grain JHP or +P 100 Grain Flat Nose in Sig P232 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cavitation (aka shock effect, temporary stretch cavity, etc) has pretty much been disproven as a reliable way of causing permanent wounding with typical handgun ammunition. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffalo Bore +P 95 Grain JHP or +P 100 Grain Flat Nose in Sig P232

Cavitation (aka shock effect, temporary stretch cavity, etc) has pretty much been disproven as a reliable way of causing permanent wounding with typical handgun ammunition. Simply put, a handgun bullet needs to touch tissue in order to disrupt it.

Your best bet for stopping a threat with a handgun is indeed the "failure to stop" drill (aka the "Mozambique drill")...fire 2-3 shots to the high chest, and if the threat does not disappear from your sights, follow-up immediately with 1-2 shots to the head.

At very close range, I like the "zipper drill" where you start firing as soon as your weapon is pointed at the target after clearing the holster, and you simply pull the trigger as you walk your shots up the target centerline as you bring your weapon up into your line of sight. This maximizes the probability that one or more of your shots will hit the spine.

Both of these tactics largely render arguments about caliber and bullet design moot.

By the way, even without the treaty issues, the military would still likely use FMJ for standard issue. It penetrates barriers better than an expanding bullet design, and it feeds more reliably.

Thanks for your service, and good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the responses!

Neve really practiced the zipper drill, never heard of it either.

The think I think about is that the live targets move, and especially when shot, they'll make movements that u wouldn't expect (fetal as going to the ground, I have no idea) so it's not easy to practice.

but yeah, I'm not sure a .380 HP could go through the rib bone, and then to the spine. or all the guts in the way to the spine....

but yeah, I think I'm gonna do alternating rounds with FMJ and HP in the .380 I might start practicing mozambique, with HP/FMJ/FMJ or something

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links