Federal HST 155 or 165 or 180

This is a discussion on Federal HST 155 or 165 or 180 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I have access to be able to purchase for a G22 and/or G27 .40 S&W for carry and home defense the following three loads: ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Federal HST 155 or 165 or 180

Hello,

I have access to be able to purchase for a G22 and/or G27 .40 S&W for carry and home defense the following three loads:

1.) Federal HST 155 gr
    2.) Federal HST 165 gr
    3.) Federal HST 180 gr

What would the advantage/disadvantage be for one over the other? I am just looking to make an educated decision before I go and spend money on them.

Just curious what the experiences were out there for the .40 S&W with the above listed bullet weights.

Thanks, Later, Lumpy.

I would probably go for the heaviest round I could. It would be slower and as a result, I'd think, dump more energy into the BG before exiting. The lighter rounds will be faster, though, if that matters to you.

Federal HST?

YES.

Go with the one that costs the least. It will be fine.

I'd go for the 180's, especially with a G27; in shorter barreled pistols, heavier bullets tend to perform better. 165 would be my second choice.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

This is almost as good as the caliber wars. HST is an outstanding choice and in my opinion one of the best rounds available today, followed by Speer Gold Dot and Winchester Ranger T/ PDX1. I think quite a few Police Departments use the 180, some Federal agencies use the 165 and I think US Border Patrol uses 155gr, although I dont know what Departments if any use HST. My preference is the 180gr followed by the 165gr.
    Here are some specs from ATK web site:
    Federal HST 155gr Velocity @ Muzzel 1160 w/ 463 ftlbs energy
    165gr Velocity@ Muzzel 1130 w/ 468 Ft lbs energy
    180gr velocity @ Muzzel 1010 w/408Ftlbs energy
    Speer GD 155gr Velocity @ Muzzel 1200 w/ 496Ftlbs energy
    165gr Velocity @ Muzzel 1150 w/ 484Ftlbs energy
    180gr Velocity @ Muzzel 1025 w/ 420 Ftlbs energy
    Speer also makes a 165gr Low Recoil Velocity @ Muzzel 1050 w/ 404 Ftlbs energy ( Part# 53949)
    200gr Velocity @ Muzzel 915 w/ 372 Ftlbs energy ( Part# 53883)

VIP Member
    I've shot both the 165s and the 180s out of my XD .40 subcompact and I can honestly say that any of them will be just fine. I usually go with the 180s when they are available, but I don't really care. In all seriousness, getting hung up on ballistics is fairly useless unless it just toots your horn to think about that stuff. Any quality LE or SD ammo is going to be so far down the list of significant factors in most civilian self defense situations that it's really not all that important. Buy whatever you can afford and make sure you spend some time on the range with some of it, don't just shoot off the cheapest FMJ stuff and hold into your self defense ammo like it's made of gold. It's going to shoot different and you need to know how before it matters.
    gasmitty and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I carry HST 155gr in my G27, 165's in my G23 and 180's in my G22.
    .XX likes this.
    Proud NRA member

I plan to carry Federal HST 165 grain in my Glock 22 Gen4 after I run a couple of hundred rounds of fmjs through it . I just got the gun on Mon and haven't had time break it end yet if there is such a thing for a Glock.

you guys better test does HST rounds before you carry , some of the ammo are under powder

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Everything I have read about 40 cal is that the heavier round is preferred. I cannot speak to Federal specifically. I carry 185 Ranger T.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I use 165 grain ... if you look at this picture look at how wide the wound channel is on the 165 compared to the 180.. not the overall diameter of the shock wave but in the center the dark chunk that is missing.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:1&um=1&itbs=1
    The faster a bullet goes (velocity) the more internal damage IMO.... I would use what ever one you can shoot the most accurate.. but all of those are fine. I like 165 grain, as that is what I shoot the best and train with the most.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I'm sure the Famous But Incompetent fans will be along momentarily to tell you to go with the 180 grain load.

Fact is, they are all pretty darn good. The Border Patrol has had good success with the 155 grain loads before their recent switch to the 180 grain load. All of those weights work, and the F.B.I.'s penetration test is only one, of many, indicators as to how a bullet may perform in living flesh.

I'm using 155 grain loads in my forties right now because penetration through intermediate barriers isn't as much of a concern to me as stopping the threat right now! I tend to favor loads that have higher foot pounds of energy, and this is done by velocity for the most part. The lighter bullet moves faster. Compare the old 125 grain .357 Magnums, which has a great reputation as a "stopper", to the slower moving but heavier 158 grain loading. The 125 grain load was the clear "winner" in real life gunfights, while also minimizing excessive penetration that could endanger innocents behind the target.

The first, and most important thing is to find a load that works in YOUR gun. After that, select the one you like to shoot, and have confidence in. I personally think too much weight is placed on the F.B.I.'s penetration test, and their test parameters may not meet your needs. The F.B.I.'s test generally favors the heavier bullet, but that was because they refused to recognize that it was their failures in tactics that led them down this road of penetration being the most important thing.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; October 14th, 2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Bad Bob likes this.

Thanks for all of the replies.

The main reason I asked was Ammo To Go has all three weights available at a reasonable price and I was just going to order a few more cases from them and figured I would ask what bullet weight since the price of the 155, 165 and 180 were the same. I still have a few boxes of the HST180s and they just felt like and fed like butter through my new Gen4 Glock 22 that I am just going to stick with the tried and tested 180 HST JHPs for me for now. My other preference is the 230 gr .45 ACP HSTs. I have been thinking of a Gen4 G19 or G26 for my wife with the 9 mm rounds but there seems to be a bit of a ******* war between the 115 and 124 crowd to the 147 crowd as well as regular, +P , or +P+.

For me, for .40 S&W, as long as I can get it, it will be the Federal HST 180s, then Winchester Ranger JHPs and so on.

Later, Lumpy.

Oh, and I forgot this in my last post.

WIth all of my .40 S&W pistols, all of them Glocks. From the G35, G22, G23 and G27, some still owned and some still sold, none of any brand of factory ammunition ever failed in any of the above pistols.

Just figured I should add that since my Gen3 G35 with tight Bar-Sto barrel, is more finicky but more accurate than the factory G35 barrel.

Just for informational purposes only.

All factory ammo always worked with original Glock parts. Aftermarket stuff, well the reliability was a crap shoot.

Go Glock and Go Home to your family...

Later, Lumpy.

180-gr. in 40 S&W is the better performing weight and here is why:

Heavy for caliber bullets like the 9mm 147-gr., 40 S&W 180-gr., and 45 ACP 230-gr. provide the extra penetration needed to get through extremities or bones before reaching the vitals. Almost all controlled and informal testing through various media shows a pattern of heavier bullets outperforming their lightweight counterparts across all caliber lines. (While middleweight bonded bullets are coming around nicely, heavyweight bonded projectiles still [usually] outperform them.)

The FBI uses common sense when it says that 62% of the time in OIC's, a bullet must pass through an arm / leg, or penetrate odd angles before reaching the vitals. This is why their minimum penetration standard of 12" - 16" is in effect. They also teach to aim a little higher than many PD's (used to) do because there are more significant vital areas between the armpits and above than below that area. It's no secret when PD's state that more than 1/2 of OIC's are at "odd angles" where the bullet travels a longer distance than most civilians imagine.

When someone's life is on the line, immediately stopping the threat is paramount! BG's usually expire more quickly with higher center-mass hits than the older thinking of around the bottom of the ribs / sternum (like the old-style targets encouraged you to aim for). Notice that in the past decade, range targets have raised their center ring about 3" higher than it used to be.

A couple of well-placed bullets dead-center (or a tad to the right) between the armpits can be your best friend when your life is on the line. Self defense priorities should include:

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits
    2. Bullet Construction / Heavy for Caliber Weight
    3. Choice of Caliber
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links