Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158grain

This is a discussion on Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158grain within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is anyone using this load Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158grain 1040fps and 379ft. lbs. out of a 2" barrel . This is approaching 357 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158grain

Is anyone using this load Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158grain 1040fps and 379ft. lbs. out of a 2" barrel. This is approaching 357 mag ballistics in the same 2" barrel.

I have a S&W 642 that I would be using these in and wonder about accuracy, recoil and second shot follow up?

I also have a S&W 642 and I too am curious about the recoil and second shot follow up. I have used Buffalo Bore loads before in my 3 inch barrel Ruger SP101 .357 magnum, but it has a steel frame and not an aluminum alloy one. The Buffalo Bore rounds were stout but not uncontrollable to shoot.
    God bless our troops!

That velocity claim from a 2 inch tube sounds just a little high to me. As a reloader, I can put together hot 38 loads in that weight that may exceed 900 fps, and that is chronographed with my 642 at 10 feet from the muzzle. They may not use ventilated barrel to simulate gas loss encountered due to the barrel cylinder gap in a revolver. I am not saying they are lying, but those numbers seem to me to be a little optimistic. For a can't go wrong load, I like plain hard cast semi wadcutter designs, which don't depend on velocity for penetration, cut a full caliber hole, and are consistent performers.

BB lists those numbers (1040/379) for a S&W Mod 60, 2".
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I just found this about the BB 158 +P, http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/14...aph-tests.html see the second post for the figures of the chronograph out of a 2" barrel.

Thanks, I will certainly take a gander at that website.
    God bless our troops!

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar

BB ammo

I am not sue of the ballistics, but the BB ammo is excellent. It is very potent stuff, and recoil is high. But really there is nothing like it. The NOISE is also beyond belief in a short barrel. Ouch.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

I've heard (never seen it personally) that the BB lead SWCHP 158gr +p can sometimes start "prairie-dogging" out of the brass due to the high recoil in a lightweight revolver, causing the cylinder to lock up and not function. I've fired two boxes out of my 642 over the past year or so, and never saw it personally, but those things kick like a mule. I much prefer the Gold Dot 135gr +p short barrel rounds. I'm quicker on the follow-shots, and have never seen any reports of similar cylinder lock issues that the BB rounds have.

cheers
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I like the Buffalo Bore stuff, but I carry the 135 grain HP's. I think it appears from what I've seen that the quailty control at Buffalo Bore must be excellent. They seem to have very little variation in performance between rounds and really do make an effort to get the most performance by using custom blends of powder.

That load in +p may press the envelope for the LCR. I tried to contact Ruger in regards to the LCRs ability to handle the round. Their answer to me was, " I would need to contact BB and see if the round is within the SAAMI specifications for the .38 +p. Duh.

Personally, I'd rather not press the max pressure rating for any firearm just to have more ump.
    I'd just as soon go up in caliber and play it safe.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    That load in +p may press the envelope for the LCR. I tried to contact Ruger in regards to the LCRs ability to handle the round. Their answer to me was, " I would need to contact BB and see if the round is within the SAAMI specifications for the .38 +p. Duh.

Personally, I'd rather not press the max pressure rating for any firearm just to have more ump.
    I'd just as soon go up in caliber and play it safe.
    I totally agree with this. I do not know what their secret is, and it may very well be within SAMMI specs, but unless it fired from a k frame, I cant see how it could be good for a j frame. The best round for a j frame will always be a semi wadcutter of 158 grains doing 850-900 fps.

I know it's' tough to handload anything that duplicates Buffalo Bore .38 Special +P performance. I have a couple of recipes for heavy .38 Special handloads up my sleeve, using 158 grain cast lead SWC bullets and either 2400 or SR 4756 powders, that can come fairly close to Buffalo Bore velocities but they don't quite make it. Additionally, they exhibit every sign of being on the ragged edge of sane operating pressure. The Buffalo Bore does not show such signs of crowded pressures.

I'd love to know how they do it but am not willing to blow up a gun attempting to duplicate it. It's cheaper to just buy the Buffalo Bore ammunition than to fiddle with really heavy handloads. Buffalo Bore prices seem high but are a bargain when one considers the performance level.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; October 20th, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I can see their appeal if you don't handloads. I can put together hotter fodder than that in a 38 spl case, but it's got to be fired in a heavy frame. Think 38-44 Triple Lock. But I'm with you, I'm not going to go mixing powders.

Buffalo Bore 38 Special Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Is anyone using this load Buffalo Bore 38 Special +P 158grain 1040fps and 379ft. lbs. out of a 2" barrel. This is approaching 357 mag ballistics in the same 2" barrel.

I have a S&W 642 that I would be using these in and wonder about accuracy, recoil and second shot follow up?
    I've been carrying 38 Special and 357 Magnum revolvers for ni on to 40 years. I have used Buffalo Bore® 38 Special ammunition, both standard pressure, and +P for several years. This is what I have learned............

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special 158gr LSWCHPGC IS THE LOAD to use in Airweight® snubbies. It gives far less recoil than any of the +P stuff yet has plenty of energy to get the job done. Both my wife & I carry this load in our aluminum frame 38 Special snubbies.

Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158gr LSWCHPGC is best used in heavier steel framed guns. In aluminum, titanium, scandium framed snubbies this load IS BRUTAL!!!!! I carry this load in my steel frame 24oz Taurus® Mdl 605SS2 357 Magnum EDCG, and, load my S&W® Mdl 686 4" 357 Magnum home defense gun with this ammo.

Both loads have the same POA/POI in my seven 38 Special & 357 Magnum revolvers. IMHO Buffalo Bore® 158gr LSWCHPGC is the best 38 Special load available today.
    snakyjake likes this.

Shot 5 rounds (given by guy in next stall) of the BB +P 158g - with my Rossi 685 - last month at the range. All I can say.....is that out of that little 2" barrell came a hellashish bang followed by a kick from one of those bulls you see the guys riding on TV. I'm just glad I didnt let the wife have first crack......probably would of made one heck of a youtube video.

I quickly reloded with some Critical Defense 110g+P - and the difference was night and day.

So in response to the OP's questions-

Accuracy - Par with others
    Recoil - Extreme - for my J frame
    Follow Up - Severly effected by the recoil.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links