Informal ammo test with 2" snub...

This is a discussion on Informal ammo test with 2" snub... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I decided to perform my own informal ballistic test with my newly acquired Colt Cobra (2" barrel). Fired 2 rounds of Speer GD SB 135gr ...

I decided to perform my own informal ballistic test with my newly acquired Colt Cobra (2" barrel). Fired 2 rounds of Speer GD SB 135gr +p and 2 rounds of Corbon DPX 110gr +p into a pack of newspapers. Both rounds performed brilliantly. All rounds mushroomed retaining full weight. Corbon loads measured ~0.6 inch and Speer ~0.55 inch. Got about an inch more penetration out of the Speers. I would feel comfortable carry either. Interestingly, fired both loads out of a 6 inch S&W and got similar results. Just thought I share.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    This is not posted as a negative comment.

I carried a Mod.60 snub for awhile. These are my thoughts on these, excellent for CCW, weapons.

Ammo accuracy > doesn't really matter coming outta a 2(or so) inch bbl fired at the "civilian shoot" ranges. This,in my opinion,7yards will be a "long" shot. This also with a weapon that was not ment to be carefully aimed(sights ??) IMO these type of weapons were ment to be point shot.

At the above ranges this is accomplished fairly easily with the snubbies. I got so I could present and hit a 4-6" target every time with my weapon. I would always "shoot two" also.

Now the ammo > I was active duty military at the time and had access to the then new .38 Special,110gr., +P+ load that had the "WW" head stamp and nickel case. This was the load that NIS was using and I was the rangemaster that trained a small group of them. I shot a hundred (or so) rds. from my Mod.60 until I finally determined that it was subjecting my weapon to undue wear and tear. The muzzle blast and flash(not recoil) was almost unbearable also. To say the least,it was VERY distracting.

During that time the USN and other agencies were using the Mod.37's also.During my time at the range,waiting for the next class,I expieramented with lots of different ammo for the short bbl'ed guns. For me,the choice was the NON +p loads with the 125ish gr. bullets. I practiced with the military issue 130gr. ball ammo which I had a "good supply" of. I tried the "famous" 158gr. SWC's also. Too much recoil for the fast follow up shots and/or double taps.

At the gunshows in the NE I would look for a manufacturer named "Worthmore". Strickly remanufactured ammo in a green a white box. The .38Spec. loading was a 125gr. Hornady XTP(at 1000fps). This was a cheap and very reliable load. I don't know if they are still in buisness or not. This was a great practice ammo.

I feel that most people try to push a bullet too fast outta a snubbie. If you want more energy dump........hit 'em twice. Outta a snubbie,match the correct bullet with the correct velocity.Present fast and shoot twice. They'll die pretty damn quick. --------

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    good post R...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Assistant Administrator
    RSSZ makes a good point - and that is why when I carried my SP-101 I ''only'' stoked with CorBon +P 110's - as the hot 140 .357's were just too lively from a small gun.

It does seem logical to consider two fast hits with a better controlled gun that being slower after launching a full house load.

I left the .357 loads to be kept for carry in my 4" M28 - which did allow for fast follow ups.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    P95 and All, Yeah,when you start gettin' out to the 4" bbls and especially the 6's things change dramatically IMO. Even one more inch(3" or so) will make a bigger that estimated difference. The 2" and under weapons are a special type of weapon that needs careful consideration ESPECIALLY the small J frame and when carried as a CCW.

Not long after this time frame in my career I talked my bosses into letting me qualify with and carry a 1911. My first Colt MKIV/Series 70 was bought by me and carried every day both on duty and off duty.

That S&W Mod.60 was given to me by a B-52 pilot that made more than a few trips between Guam and RVN. I have it to this day. ----------

Links