FMJ round nose vs. FMJ flat nose.380 (question)

This is a discussion on FMJ round nose vs. FMJ flat nose.380 (question) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what is the advantages or disadvantages in these two rounds? is their really any benefits to carrying one or the other for a.380 self defense ...

Thread: FMJ round nose vs. FMJ flat nose.380 (question)

FMJ round nose vs. FMJ flat nose.380 (question)

what is the advantages or disadvantages in these two rounds? is their really any benefits to carrying one or the other for a.380 self defense round?

2. Remove Ads

Personally I prefer round nose. I've noticed slight feeding issues with flat nose. They tend to nose dive into feed ramp and not go on up into chamber as well as round nose (this is only when chambering the first round from empty). Not a major issue, but round nose tend to feed better.

As for ballistics, due to the light power of the .380 I would think that the round nose would provide better penetration.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

In general, flat-nosed and square-shouldered bullets do more cutting of tissue than round-nose bullets. The RNs make more of an "ice pick" type of wound and will in fact penetrate better. You could probably demonstrate this in your back yard (if legal) in a bundle of wet newspapers

Given flat nose and round nose loads of similar downrange ballistics, AND both function well in your gun, my personal choice would be for the flat nose to disrupt more tissue and make 'em bleed better. Given the .380 power level,though, that's rather a moot point.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I would use round nose if I had a .380... To start with Gassmitty said that a flat nose will cause more bleeding, which I believe is true, but since it is a .380, bleeding out will just take to long. I want more penetration for the ability of shutting down the nervous system by hitting the spin, heart, or 'T' zone in the face.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

What Gasmitty said, and less deflection and better ft pounds of energy delivered on impact.... YMMV
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't think it's gonna make much difference to the person on the receiving end. Any difference will be miniscule. You're comparing RN versus FN in a .380, not .380 versus .45. It's still going to punch a .380 size hole. The RN will probably feed more reliably, but if both work in your gun, use whichever you choose.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't think it's gonna make much difference to the person on the receiving end. Any difference will be miniscule. You're comparing RN versus FN in a .380, not .380 versus .45. It's still going to punch a .380 size hole. The RN will probably feed more reliably, but if both work in your gun, use whichever you choose.
    That's not quite true.

9mm (.380) roundnose bullets tend to cut a permanent wound channel--the "hole"--of about .25 or less. As gasmitty pointed out above, flat nosed bullets do tend to cut a wound channel closer to actual caliber size...while a round nose allows tissue to stretch around the bullet, making a smaller hole.

It's similar to firing a wadcutter-profile bullet next to an FMJ/round nose bullet of the same caliber; the wadcutter cuts a nice "cookie-cutter", perfectly round hole that will be larger than the hole the FMJ left in the paper.

ETA--for the above reasons, and assuming it fed 100% reliably in my pistol, I'd rather carry a flat-nosed FMJ than a round-nosed one.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Cuda who makes flat nose 380? All I ever see are the round nose.

Winchester White Box 95 gr FMJ is a flat point.

www.scottsdaleammo.com also makes a 100 gr flat point FMJ.

Buffalo Bore makes some as well.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

According to Doc Roberts and couple others I have asked, it makes no difference, in a FMJ load

Even most of the 40S&W FMJ will come in the truncated form. IMO...the truncated cone may see lower velocities as compared to the round nose bullets simply for bearing surface down the rifling. While one might think the round nose bullet should provide more penetration, it's simply due to velocity. E=MC˛ no matter what. Since we are talking a totally enclosed projectile (copper jacket, lead core), the mass will be the same, and the energy expended at point of impact will be the same. Most depends on what is impacted first and how that affects velocity through the penetration process. In any .380 auto pistol, (or any other for that matter) I'd go with what feeds reliably. I have no issues with employing FMJ ammo for self defense, and anything above a .000 in caliber is better than nothing at all. A full length #2 pencil can be something to be reckoned with depending on the speed of your swing.

E=MC^2?! That's Energy = Mass x (the speed of light)^2.

I think you meant F=MA...Force = Mass x Acceleration. Or maybe KE = 1/2MV^2...Kinetic Energy = 1/2 Mass x Velocity ^2.

Unless you're firing nuclear-tipped bullets, E=MC^2 does not really apply...
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
    According to Doc Roberts and couple others I have asked, it makes no difference, in a FMJ load
    Yup, I've had medical folks tell me the same thing. Yet, hunters swear by flat-point solids for dangerous big game. Could be that, at pistol bullet energy levels, it doesn't make much difference.
    CT Lasers

My take is this.
    Our range uses celetex as target backing and sometimes there are several layers of it and it gets pretty shot up. One day while using FMJ and FMJ FP I noticed the FP were bouncing back off the celetex. The FMJ's were not. So, for defensive purposes I have concerns using FP's in 380 thinking heavy clothing of multiple layers could cause this same bounce back issue. The ammo I was using was cheap practice ammo and not premium ammo FWIW.

Links