.22 ccw? - Page 2

.22 ccw?

This is a discussion on .22 ccw? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My BUG is the American Arms 5 shot Derringer with the .22 mag cyl, the gun is invisible in the pocket, very accurate at the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 ccw?

My BUG is the American Arms 5 shot Derringer with the .22 mag cyl, the gun is invisible in the pocket, very accurate at the 21' mark, and a hoot to shoot, but it will never replace the HK.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by spud
    The g/f just turrned 21 so we will get her the CHL and to get her better wither a weapon I wanted to get her good on a P22.
    The P-22 is the only pistol my wife will shoot. It is perfect for those who aren't really into pistols. Zero recoil, accurate at SD distance, and really, really fun to shoot. I can make tennis balls dance with it at 15-20 yds.

-PB
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i'd leave it at the haouse unless that's all you got....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    i'd leave it at the haouse unless that's all you got....
    Was looking for a answer like that, Why do you think that? If ya dont mind me asking. Trying to get both sides of it.

Administrator

Suggestion

Reliability Of .22 Rimfire.
    You might want to buy some "high end" ultra match grade ammo if you are concerned about reliability issues (in general) for .22 RF.

Buy some Top Of The Line Eley.

Their quality control is SO TIGHT on their Match Grade ammo that Failure To Fire problems are so rare as to be nonexistent.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A .22 auto would be ok as a bug, I was thinking about getting a .17hmr rev or .380 for carry?
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Quote Originally Posted by spud
    Was looking for a answer like that, Why do you think that? If ya dont mind me asking. Trying to get both sides of it.
    I'll field that, as an ex-P22 owner:

1) Reliability. .22s in general are problematic, compared to most any service caliber, both with ammo, and with the performance of the weapon. The tip of the P22 hammer spring can easily fracture against the hardened hammer surface- meaning you get no strike or too light to fire more than once or twice.

The removable barrel- Loctite it in place, if you do carry the P22. Nothing worse than having your barrel reciprocate with the slide, if the retaining nut comes loose.

Mags. Comparing the mag springs to a Ruger MkII, I would be hesitant to leave P22 mags loaded over time. Just lighter weight.

2) Purpose. If your state doesn't have a minimum caliber for CCW, I guess you're okay. I have argued that "mouseguns" can be adequate protection, in the past, and I still do. However. I say that in the scenario of it being a pistol small enough that you never have an excuse to leave it home. The P22 is not much smaller than a Glock 19. A Glock can have the slide wrenched off the frame, in a struggle; a P22 can be totally destroyed with hand pressure under significantly less than fight-for-life force. The P22 is also easy to render out of battery, due to the light action springs.

For what you spend on the P22, a good, used Ruger revolver can certainly be had in a more potent caliber, and it would certainly make a better club, if you had to!

Bottom line- a larger caliber tears more stuff up and increases the odds of disabling/putting down your attacker. Why travel by handcart when you can drive a Chevy?

For training, and until you can get something with a bit more "oomph!", the P22 is acceptable. Whitetail have been taken with a .22 LR, I just would not care to bet my life on it, without a serious back-up plan: a good knife, some grappling/MMA, an impact tool, and, without doubt-your cell phone.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO a .22 or even a .25 can both be considered a remote controled ice pick . They are good a bit further out than the ice pick but must be applied the same in any event . If you can put one in the eye socket or close they may kill , they may not , but the b/g wont be able to see long enough for you to leave , and that is the point isnt it ?
    Personaly i wouldnt carry one for defense , and since i am not an assasson i regulate .22 to plinking , and dont even own a .25 lol .

anyway my opinion and < flame suit on > LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I consider a .22 to be superior to a .25, because they're about the same ballistically, but the .22 is a lot cheaper to shoot. Thus, you may be more likely to practice a lot. This is important, because the smaller the caliber, the more critical shot placement becomes. Of course, the smaller the weapon, the more difficult this becomes.

Can you kill or disable someone with a .22? Absolutely. I personally know of instances where it's happened. Put 40gr of lead between the eyes and they're goin' down. Heck, Jeff Cooper writes of someone defending themselves with an RG snubby and .22 shorts. If it's all you have available, it's the way to go.

That being said, there are alternatives that are better. Much better. Much, much better. Personally, .380 is the smallest round I'd use for a BUG, and it's marginal. But at close range with Gold Dots or similar, it'll do a lot of damage, if you put the round in the right place. You can find a variety of incredibly lightweight and compact .380s. With just a little more size and weight, you can move up into the 9mm and above range. I'm always looking for some way to upgrade.

When I was driving trucks (in a past life) I carried my Ruger Single Six with the .22mag cylinder. It was all I had. When I got a Ruger Blackhawk .357, that's what I carried. I carried a double-barreled .38spl derringer for a while as a back-up. After getting my CHL, I carried a .40 as primary, with a .380 BUG. Now I'm carrying a .45 primary.

Bottom line, the weapon/caliber that is available when you need it is the best self-defense weapon. Use the best you have, but get the best you can.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

IMHO a .22 or even a .25 can both be considered a remote controled ice pick .
    A Ballistic Ice Pick...A BIP. Shoot and forget.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

.22 rimfire.... the assasin's choice......

always done quickly and usually to the back of the head....

Quote Originally Posted by MR D
    .22 rimfire.... the assasin's choice......always done quickly and usually to the back of the head....
    MOSSAD prefers a shot through the eyeball. At least that's what one of their trainers told me in 1983 when he came to brief Division staff pukes on Counter Terror techniques. Don't ask what that was all about. I can't say.

Sometimes I carry a mousegun: NAA mini-revolver 22LR that I know I'll have to shove into a perp's eyesocket to get the job done. But a 22 is NEVER a carry choice 24/7! I feel ashamed when the weather dictates this choice and if I'm going someplace I consider has more of a potential for trouble, I'll carry firepower anyway and just not have such a great time.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

erh
    I, like P95carry, have a .22 Magnum NAA B.W. for the .22 class... My Dad has, & often carries an old 21A Beretta which he claims to have never had a single problem w/, and he is amazingly good w/ it..! I also, like most others ^^ would NOT use a .22LR as a primary carry but something a "Lil stouter...
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

VIP Member

Maybe as a BUG...

I recently picked up a little S&W 317 .22lr revolver for backpacking. It so light you hardly know you have it!

My CCW renewal is coming up and I think Iíll add this to my permit just in case I ever want to carry it. More than likely, only as a BUG though.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

right on top of it !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links