.22 LR reliability

This is a discussion on .22 LR reliability within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BlackJack .22 LR reliability I have tried several .22 LR brands (CCI , Winchester Federal and Remington) and have yet to find ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .22 LR reliability

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    .22 LR reliability

I have tried several .22 LR brands (CCI , Winchester Federal and Remington) and have yet to find one that even approaches the reliability of centerfire ammunition.

While I have fired thousands of rounds in 9mm and .45 ACP without a single misfire, I have yet to find anything in .22 LR that will work reliably with less that a 3 – 5 % rate of misfires, some with as high as a 15% failure rate. Some of these I have even loaded back into the gun and tried a second time, making sure that the firing pin hit the rim in a different spot, and they have still failed to fire. I even went so far as to send an e-mail to Winchester and while they said that even one failure was unacceptable, in the very next sentence they said that these failures do happen and it is the nature of the .22 Rimfire.

Is there anything out there, in .22 LR, that is reliable? Something that will go “bang” every time the firing pin hits the primer?

I realize that .22 LR has a reputation for occasional failures, but an average of 3 – 5% across the board is really kind of ridiculous.

Does anybody know of anything out there that is more reliable than what I have been seeing?

BTY, I have had the same results regardless of what firearm I have used – Browning Buck Mark, CZ Kadet, Ruger 10/22 – so I really do not think it is the weapon.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Yes, actually...............check out rimfirecentral.com

2. Remove Ads

I shoot Federal 550 bulk pack (several thousand rounds a year) and have only had that problem once. Actually, the once was a series of times shooting the Buck Mark that I use for practice. The problem was in the Buck Mark. Inside the top cover is the recoil spring/guiderod. At the rear of the spring, the guiderod sits in a rubber bushing, against the frame column that the top cover attaches to. At the front of the recoil spring/guiderod is a half round, flat bottomed plastic (I think) end piece (recoil spring guide) that fits in a crosswise groove in the slide on top of the firing pin. This plastice piece can become grooved from riding atop the firing pin. This allows the firing pin to ride up and strike the rear of the round to far out toward the edge to ignite the primer. It isn't a lot, but it is enough. Replacing the recoil spring guide solved the problem temporarly, but it came back after a couple thousand rounds and needed to be replaced again. What I did was to fit a small piece of thin shim metal in the cross groove atop the firing pin. This prevents the recoil spring guide from contacting the firing pin and getting grooved and has had no ill effect on anything else. Maybe this will be of help.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I went through an entire Federal 550 bulk pack on Monday; 3 misfires that, when rechambered with the round rotated 90 degrees, went bang the second time.

Pistol was a Browning Buckmark (2 misfires) and a Ruger 10-22 (1). Both are bone stock.

I would say QK's suggestion of the match grade ammo would be the best if you are looking for the most reliable rimfire ammo.

And, fwiw, the ammo that I've had consistently the worst luck with is the Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs; usually several misfires in the pack, and the majority of those wouldn't fire when a different part of the rim was struck.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Great thread - I personally learned a lot!
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    And, fwiw, the ammo that I've had consistently the worst luck with is the Remington Golden Bullet bulk packs; usually several misfires in the pack, and the majority of those wouldn't fire when a different part of the rim was struck.
    I've never had a misfire with mine. Of course I only use them to shoot varmits and go plinking, usually in a bolt action rifle, and I've only shot up a couple of boxes over the years. Worst that I've had was a casing smashed in a way that seemed to cause failure to eject, but like I said my life isn't depending on this ammo. Perhaps I don't have enough data to matter, roughly 1000 rounds, but it's working for me.
    They don't seem to feed right in my mom's Ruger Mark I though, but it's probably just the gun. Mom abuses her plinking guns (I don't think she EVER cleans them)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That's not a concern on Ruger rimfires - all designed to be perfectly free of damage if dry-fired.
    Ah, really? I had no idea. Everyone always seems to say to never dry rimfires. I always wondered too, since you do have to dryfire to take the mk3 apart (although I still have yet to man up and try it...).

VIP Member
    I shoot .22LR for plinking. I have a Walther P22 and a Taurus 94 9 shot revolver that I won at at a fund raiser. They both shoot about anything. The Walther does not Like Remington UMC Lead. I usually shoot CCI Mini Mag, CCI Mini Mag HP, CCI Select, Remington Golden HP or Win Xpert HV. That is what I have on hand now anyway. I might shoot 200 rounds each time at the range. The Taurus misses a couple rounds once in a while but it is the gun, not the ammo.

I don't dry fire any rim-fire pistols (a few times won't hurt but I don't make it a practice without snapcaps).
    Your problem is a new one on me.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    S&W says dry firing is okay in any of their firearms except the rimfires. I, personally, don't make it a habit with any firearm, regardless of brand or caliber.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have fired thousands of rounds practicing and shooting silhouttes (sp?) using a Ruger Mark II, 10" barrel, a S&W Model 17, 8 3/8" barrel, and an Anshutz 10" barrel. I have used a vareity of brands from Winchester, Remington, RWS, Ely, CCI and several types from each of these brands. I think I had all of 2 misfires in all those thousands of rounds! I haven't shot the .22s in several years, but I'm wondering if the quality of ammo had gone down that much in the past 10 years! To me, 3-5 % failure rate is incredible, and would certainly be unacceptable in competition! None of my friends and fellow shooting buddies ever experienced more than a rare failure to fire, either, unless there was a gun malfunction. Just sayin'.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

paul34 and OldVet, if you have the opportunity, look at the chamber end of a Ruger rimfire barrel. There is a machined notch which accommodates the off-center firing pin, and the notch is deeper than the firing pin travel, so there is simply no way that dry firing can do the type of damage that we've always been warned against with rimfire guns.

My other, non-Ruger ,22s are either dry fired with snap caps or not at all.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Storage?

In answer to the original poster it occured to me that there might be something wrong with the storage of his ammunition. In my experience fresh rimfire ammo is almost 100% reliable in my larger guns and only sometimes fails to fire in small auto pistols. It seems to me that age and damp storage conditions affects rimfire ammo much more profound than centerfire.

Great topic. My much cherished HighStandard Sharpshooter absolutety refuses to do anything with CCI Stingers. However will non stop bang, eject,
    and feed every single other brand I've tried. On the other hand my S&W 422 has the same issues with almost anything Winchester. But run fine with CCI and anything else. Only range time and patience will tell what our guns like and dislike IMO..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    Great topic. My much cherished HighStandard Sharpshooter absolutety refuses to do anything with CCI Stingers. However will non stop bang, eject,
    and feed every single other brand I've tried. On the other hand my S&W 422 has the same issues with almost anything Winchester. But run fine with CCI and anything else. Only range time and patience will tell what our guns like and dislike IMO..
    Stingers have a case that is longer than a standard .22 LR's case. .22s with match chambers (e.g., most aftermarket barrels for the 10/22) are not deep enough to accept the longer Stinger case, and perhaps your High Standard falls into that category. Accuracy-wise, you're not missing much if you can't use Stingers.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have had my Rem Nylon 66 rifle since 1972 & I have shot close to a thousand or more 22lr ammo out of that gun for, Plinking & for Woodchuck hunting, never a FTF etc. from either the gun it self or the Ammo that I have used in it over the years, I have used strickley CCI Stingers or either Rem Yellow Jacket's either one of these are more than reliable & have taken large Chuck's with only one shot from them, Either a head or a center chest shot put's them right down.

Quote Originally Posted by cmhm2 View Post
    In answer to the original poster it occured to me that there might be something wrong with the storage of his ammunition. In my experience fresh rimfire ammo is almost 100% reliable in my larger guns and only sometimes fails to fire in small auto pistols. It seems to me that age and damp storage conditions affects rimfire ammo much more profound than centerfire.
    I was wondering this too. I found an old partial box of .22LR from when I was a kid (ie, it was really old!)... and it had a TON of FTFs, so many it wasn't worth the trouble and I finally just threw them out. It had been sitting in an open cardboard bulk box for a few decades, at least.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links