.22 LR reliability

This is a discussion on .22 LR reliability within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As others have said, 3-5% is incredibly high, even for bulk ammo. If you're getting that with CCI, and the rate of failure isn't significantly ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .22 LR reliability

As others have said, 3-5% is incredibly high, even for bulk ammo. If you're getting that with CCI, and the rate of failure isn't significantly different between CCI and cheapo bulk ammo, there's probably a problem with your guns. The common issues that I've seen are a dirty firing pin channel resulting in the pin dragging, a trigger overtravel screw adjusted too tightly such that it results in the sear dragging, and modifications like significantly lightened hammers and springs. If you buy some match ammo, don't buy the green Remington stuff. It's incredibly unreliable. The brands suggested by other people here are great. Nonetheless, there's no way CCI is consistently getting 3-5% failures.

2. Remove Ads

I shoot CCI Mini Mags in my Model 60 with no problems. I shot a brick of Blazer last week with only 2 FTF's. Sorry you are having such bad luck.
    Cryhavoc
    A Flute with no holes is not a Flute - Ty Webb

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CGColorado View Post
    I was wondering this too. I found an old partial box of .22LR from when I was a kid (ie, it was really old!)... and it had a TON of FTFs, so many it wasn't worth the trouble and I finally just threw them out. It had been sitting in an open cardboard bulk box for a few decades, at least.
    When I was a kid in the 1960's I shot a many a box of .22's, I don't ever recall one not firing. To me it was unheard of. I've had it happen in recent years so it seems something has changed though I don't have anything other than my memory to base it on. If true could it be from higher speed manufacturing? Different primer mix?

I agree with the above that age of cartridges can affect reliability, I'm sure if I had some of my leftover bullets from the 60's they'd perform poorly today.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

If you want a 22 for self defense than buy a revolver - a 22 auto is a one way ticket to a toe-tag. Mine is a Ruger 22/45 and I consider it to be worthless. Sometimes I go in the backyard and throw it at a silhouette target, it is a 33 ounce gun. Other times I practice shouting "Bang Bang"

How do you evaluate your targets when you shout bang, bang ? Revealing post.... ^
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I USED to shoot a lot of .22 LR prior to ammo frenzy. I have numerous .22's of all flavors and have tried most everything ammowise. Most all .22's have certain brand that that they will shoot accurately AND reliably! The only (2) I own that don't have a preference is a Henry lever action and older Remington bolt action. They will shoot anything! The autos do have certain brands that they WILL choke on. The autos also have to be kept cleaner IME. Good luck
    Snub44 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I've fired .22 rounds beyond counting over the last 40 years or so, thru more guns that I can remember. Dad had an FFL and we also had around 80 personal firearms around. By and large I'd say based on tens of thousands of rounds through (conservatively) several dozen guns that .22 rimfire, both the guns and the cartridge, are less reliable than centerfire guns in general. Not 3% bad but not perfect by any means. Misfires seem to occur in maybe 0.1% to 0.5% of the time depending on the gun, and cycling can be a little suspect in autos. 22 ammo tends to be a little dirty, too, depending on the brand.

In my experience, the old Remington Nylon 66 and the Ruger 10/22 are about as reliable as a .22 auto can get. Very few issues with them. Lots of other .22 rifles seem to come with cheaply made mags which contributes to the problems.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    How do you evaluate your targets when you shout bang, bang ? Revealing post.... ^
    When my 22 misfires, I practice 'Dirty Harry' or Robert DeNero (Taxi Driver movie) sayings .... If that doesn't work I throw the gun at my attacker and run ....

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I shot a lot of rimfire, and if i get 1 in 500 that dont go bang I concider that a lot. I buy cases of 22lr So I have a lot to compare . The only one I had real bad results with are Remington Golden Bullets. But even thos have gotten better. They recently switched to an eley type primer. DR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links