.22 LR reliability

.22 LR reliability

This is a discussion on .22 LR reliability within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; .22 LR reliability I have tried several .22 LR brands (CCI , Winchester Federal and Remington) and have yet to find one that even approaches ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: .22 LR reliability

.22 LR reliability

.22 LR reliability

I have tried several .22 LR brands (CCI , Winchester Federal and Remington) and have yet to find one that even approaches the reliability of centerfire ammunition.

While I have fired thousands of rounds in 9mm and .45 ACP without a single misfire, I have yet to find anything in .22 LR that will work reliably with less that a 3 – 5 % rate of misfires, some with as high as a 15% failure rate. Some of these I have even loaded back into the gun and tried a second time, making sure that the firing pin hit the rim in a different spot, and they have still failed to fire. I even went so far as to send an e-mail to Winchester and while they said that even one failure was unacceptable, in the very next sentence they said that these failures do happen and it is the nature of the .22 Rimfire.

Is there anything out there, in .22 LR, that is reliable? Something that will go “bang” every time the firing pin hits the primer?

I realize that .22 LR has a reputation for occasional failures, but an average of 3 – 5% across the board is really kind of ridiculous.

Does anybody know of anything out there that is more reliable than what I have been seeing?

BTY, I have had the same results regardless of what firearm I have used – Browning Buck Mark, CZ Kadet, Ruger 10/22 – so I really do not think it is the weapon.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I only varmint hunt with .22LR so with the cost of 50 only being a few bucks, I dont complain, reliability is not much of an issue.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I've settled on CCI for my Sig Mosquito, and I don't have the failure rate you are experiencing, but it's not 100%. I probably go through 500 rounds with maybe a half a dozen failures.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

BlackJack, you must just have bad karma, or there's a witch doctor somewhere sticking needles into little dolls that look like your .22s.

I'd say I've shot easily over 20,000 rounds of .22 over the past decade, and the guns include a couple of Ruger auto pistols, a Single Six, 3 10/22s, a 77/22 and a Remington 572. My usual ammo is CCI for fun and Win T22 for target work. Beyond that, I've used Federal and their American Eagle line, Remington, CCI and Blazer, and a small smattering of foreign stuff (Eley, Wolf, Fiocchi, etc.). I have to say that with one exception, the only consistent failures I had with all these rimfires was when I used bulk-pack ammo - the stuff that comes with hundreds of rounds poured loosely into a box. Maybe an occasional failure to fire with the other stuff, but nowhere close to a 1 in 100 failure rate.

My exception noted above is nearly any .22 rimfire in any style or packaging by Remington... Yellow Jackets being the notable offender. Other than that, the worst offender for me is the Win "Wildcat."

You didn't mention what specific gun you were using. I'm just wondering if you have all these failures with a wide variety of ammo, maybe it's your gun that has a problem! It's worth a look... for example, if there is excessive headspace, the bolt could be closed yet the front side of the cartridge rim might not be fully-seated against the chamber face, which would give a light hammer strike. There are other maladies that could be responsible for bad ignition, too.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'm almost all the way through a red Federal box of 550 (the one they sell at WM). I've only had a single FTF in my Ruger MK III.

It is the nature of bulk .22LR to have some failures here and there, but to have that many doesn't seem right. I'd second the above inquiry about the actual weapon itself. 3-5% is almost 30 rounds per 550 box! That's three entire magazines worth in my MKIII.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    OP just has plain bad luck. Back in my .22 hunting days, I rarely had a misfire, and the shell almost always fired on a second attempt. I still use .22s in my Glock 30 conversion kit, CCI Mini-Mags only, and get maybe 1-2 max in a hundred That doesn't surprise me considering I'm using a fiream not designed to fire the round, and those happen in the later stages when the gun is really dirty. They still fire on a second attempt.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

When you begin to spend the same amount of money for .22 ammo that you do for the same quantity of centerfire ammo, you'll get the same quality control, and fewer (if any) ammo failures. I'd guess that the higher end .22 ammo, such as Ely EPS, Lapua Match, and RWS R-50 will not produce any failures to fire..... but you won't find it for $2/box of 50, either.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I've shot thousands of rounds through my Mark III and have had occassional failures but never anything in an amount to take serious note of. I have found Federal bulk packs to be very reliable. Out of 525 rounds I will have maybe one or two failures but sometimes none at all. I used to have more problems with Winchester bulk ammo though.

Don't Dry Fire EVER, That could mess up the firing Pin or breech JMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    Don't Dry Fire EVER, That could mess up the firing Pin or breech JMO ; )
    H/D
    That's not a concern on Ruger rimfires - all designed to be perfectly free of damage if dry-fired.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Ex Member
    Before I finished your post I KNEW it was a semi automatic. The .22 is a bad cartridge in ALL of them. The only 100% reliability I have found is in wheel guns.

Administrator
    Yep, you seem to have rim-fire bad ju-ju.

I shoot mostly CCI & can't remember my last rim-fire failure.

That having been said the true MATCH GRADE .22 Rimfire offerings have extremely tight quality control but, you're paying quite a bit extra for it.

Lapua X-ACT

Lapua Midas

Federal Premium Gold Medal Target

Eley Match

Eley Tenex

RWS Target Rifle

Fiocchi Exacta Rifle Super Match Ammunition

Thanks for the responses everybody.

I have three guns that usually accompany me to the range: a Browning Buck Mark, a CZ Cadet and a Ruger 10/22. All three of them get cleaned every range trip (generally 50 – 100, occasionally 150, rounds per trip in each), so I don't think it is the guns.

I understand that all rimfire ammo is prone to misfires, although I am not sure why, and I would not worry about the occasional misfire, but it just seems that an average of 3 – 5% is a bit more than occasional.

I guess me and my bad rimfire ju-ju will just keep looking around for what works for us (I would be happy if I could find something that would give me 1% or less in all three of my guns). In the meantime, that witch doctor had better hope that I never find him.

Administrator
    3% is an incredibly high, totally abnormal failure rate for even cheapo .22 LR ammo.

.22 handgun = revolver
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links