Bitten by the Wolf!

Bitten by the Wolf!

This is a discussion on Bitten by the Wolf! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've used Wolf ammuninition for the past year as practice ammo in my 9mm Glocks and Beretta, along with Remington UMC, and it's always performed ...

Thread: Bitten by the Wolf!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

Bitten by the Wolf!

I've used Wolf ammuninition for the past year as practice ammo in my 9mm Glocks and Beretta, along with Remington UMC, and it's always performed well, including the steel case, non reloadable cartridges. So, I ordered 500 rounds from Ammoman for target practice in my Springfield Armory XD 45. Boy was I disappointed. I would shoot 1, maybe 2 rounds, and the gun would jam. I would clear it, most of the time having to pry the bullet out with my knife. Tried a couple of more magazine, same thing. The XD hasn't had a problem with any other type of ammo- fmj, hollow points and the new expanding point Federal ammo all work fine, without a single problem. Oh well, guess I'll just stick the rest in the back of my closet, and order some UMC. I've seen some decent prices for 500-1000 rounds. And, there's a gun show in town next weekend. Maybe I'll find something there. But I just kow that those 200+ rounds will keep calling me.

Some Guns don't like Wolf I've never had good luck with it so wont try it any more

Lead Moderator
    I have a box of .45 ACP ,but haven't got out yet to try it. Either today or tomorrow probably.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I've never tried their pistol ammo, but I haven't had a problem with their rifle stuff.
    Is it all the same lot number? Maybe they put out a bum lot.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

i only use it in my wasr10.

they're made for each other.

I have several 1911s, only one will feed Wolf -- so I basically quit using their handgun stuff. Runs fine in AKs and some 9mm guns, but 45s just don't really seem to like it.

Assistant Administrator
    Like many I have only used mostly 7.62 x 39 - which SKS's and AK gobble up with alacrity!

I have used it also tho for .380 very successfully. Most poor feedback seems to be directed at the 45 acp offering in some guns.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs down

Wolf....you would have to give it to me free before I would ever shoot it again.

To be fair concerning Wolf...I've only ever shot their .45 & it's fine if you don't mind stoppages...Failure To Eject & and you can't group your shots and hit consistently anyway.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Wolf....you would have to give it to me free before I would ever shoot it again.
    even then I would be hesistant.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Funny. Some folks (and some guns) have problems with Wolf. It's never given me any problem, with any of the guns in which I've used it (9mm, .45 ACP, .223, 7.62X54).

Some reloads, now....different deal...

I shoot a lot of Wolf 9mm in my Berreta 92FS, Kahr PM-9. It is dirty and I have to clean the guns real good after but the guns I have eat it up real good. It's OK for practicing when you burn up a few hundred rounds in a day.
    You might try going to Academy Sports and getting the CCI-Blazer in the aluminum case. It's as cheap or cheaper than Wolf and my Berreta and Kahr gobble them up like chic-o-lets also.

Administrator
    Wolf shoots extremely dirty and it really craps up inside my extractor holes in my Colt slides.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm still amazed at the number of people that shoot Wolf handgun ammo.

I won't shoot it anything but my Combloc rifles. I've tried using the Silver Bear ammo in my AR and got more than a few stuck cases in it.

I never buy cheap practice ammo. I shoot American Eagle or Winchester FMJ as practice handgun ammo. My Sigs, Colts and Berettas all deserve the best, and I don't have 90% of the problems so many people on these boards have.

Live and learn.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    "You might try going to Academy Sports and getting the CCI-Blazer in the aluminum case. It's as cheap or cheaper than Wolf and my Berreta and Kahr gobble them up like chic-o-lets also."

Looks good, but they only have it in 9mm, not 45 ACP. Shucks.

Links