Defensive Carry banner

9mm+P

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Eagleks 
#1 ·
I was at Gander Mtn.and saw a box of Winchester 9mm+P jhp. I asked the mgr. what gun was +P rated. He said all 9mm are as they(the barrels) are manufactured 40% stronger than needed. I replied that my Glock 26 says to use only 9mm. He said that if I, like most people just read the manual I would know for myself. He also said all 38cal. are capable of 38+P. The +P is just a marketing gimmick.
Well I did read the manual..again. Nowhere does it say 9mm+P. The barrel also says 9mm. No +P. I have a gen. 3 Glock 26. Is his explanation valid or misinformed?

#2 ·
He is an idiot, go with the manufacturer recommended ammo for your weapon. They pay engineers big money to design and test these things to determine what chamber pressures they can handle, I would not take the advice of a gun shop counter guy. If you are unsure call the manufacturer. They designed, tested, and built the weapon. Chamber pressures are critical on weapons.

#3 ·
don't ever listen to workers at gander mtn, bass pro, etc etc...

I don't think +P is a marketing gimmick, they are just simply hotter rounds than normal. Hotter as in more velocity.

You Glock 26 will do just fine with +P rounds but no, not all guns are able to handle +p rounds. And I don't think that all 38's are capable of handling +P either.

#7 ·
well ya anything will shot the +P round, who knows how many rounds you will get befor there is a problem though. I guess hes not lieing if you look at it like that all he did was tell you that all guns are capable of shooting them, didnt say how many times LOL.

#9 ·
SAAMI defines maximum pressures for a number of +P cartridge loadings, .45, .38, and 9mm among them (note - there is NO "+P" industry standard for .380 as yet, although Buffalo Bore [and others?] markets ammo so marked). For these cartridges, the max pressure is 10% over the pressure rating for the standard round of the same denomination.

Whether a particular gun is capable of handing the higher-pressure rounds is a different story, and - gun store clerks notwithstanding - it depends on the individual gun. Your guy's explanation about "40% stronger than needed" is a reference to barrels being proof-tested with loads that are typically 45-48% over standard cartridge pressures.

#10 ·
GLOCK 26 should handle +p just fine. Like others have said most guns will handle it but some for only a limitted of rounds. I think kel-tec recommends only 1 or 2 magazines worth of +p over the life of the gun, which meand for SD only unless you get into a whole lot of trouble.

#11 ·
I personally don't run a steady diet of +P ammo through any of my Glocks. Heck.....can't afford to with the price of it really. There are a number if pistols on the market that I simply wouldn't run any +P ammo through simply for the design and knowing the quality. While not specifically recommended, nor totally not-recommended (page 15 item #26 of the Glock owner's manual), most manufacturers need to cover themselves from liability issues. The bottom line? Each and every time (you as the owner) of any firearm....fires that firearm, you take a risk of damaging your firearm, or injury to yourself or both, no matter what ammo you are using. I've shot plenty of 9mm+P ammo out of my Glocks with no ill effects. It is what it is.

#12 ·
Your question has been well answered. Nothing more I can really add except to ask yourself if a 10% gain in pressure is gonna make a big difference for you.

#13 ·
I always carry +P ammunition when my firearm allows it. I don't find the recoil to that much more and I like the speed of the +P rounds.

Take the Speer Gold Dots as an example:

9mm Luger +P 124 grain
Velocity (in feet per second) - Muzzle: 1220
Energy (in foot pounds) - Muzzle: 410

9mm Luger 124 grain
Velocity (in feet per second) - Muzzle: 1150
Energy (in foot pounds) - Muzzle: 364

#14 ·
I have shot a limited amount of 9mm+p in my G-19's over the years for defensive carry but am comfortable with standard velocity JHP by Remington Golden Saber and Speer Gold Dot for that purpose . I think a limited amount of +p in your G-26 will be no problem. In my newly obtained 1964 T-Series P-35 Hi Power I will carry only Federal 9 BP standard velocity rounds for their excellent ability to perform reliably in older pistols and will not fire any +p's in it because of it's age. If it were a newer P-35 MK II or III I would shoot + p in it. Frequent inspections of the weapons when +p is used would be advisable to detect any accellerated wear. Just my $.02. :yup:

#15 ·
Not all 9 mm guns will handle +P. Check with Glock.

And I can guarantee you, all 38's out there won't handle + P HP. I have one that's an old police special that will NOT handle .38 + P.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.