357 vs. 45 ?

This is a discussion on 357 vs. 45 ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes I would suggest that technological improvements in projectile design and construction, as with many other calibers, has only improved the performance ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 357 vs. 45 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would suggest that technological improvements in projectile design and construction, as with many other calibers, has only improved the performance of the .357 Mag, eliminating/reducing some of the problems of earlier projectiles.
    yes, espcially with bullets like the xtp, gold dot, or golden saber. They would be much more dependable than the earlier soft nose jhp that were so effective, and explosive back when wheel guns ruled.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have heard that as well, about MDs saying that they cannot tell caliber difference by the wound.
    I like the shooting charcteristics of the 9mm, 40 and 45acp, as far as pleasent to shoot. I think this is why alot of people like the 40, as it's effective, and easily controllable. It's not intimidating even for a new shooter. I think the 45 is actually easier to shoot than the 40.
    Out of the 3 mentioned, I would prefer the 357, due to it's overall size, weight, velocity, and sectional density. Take away any of these things, and it would degrade it's performance severely.
    I also like the 38 special. But here I prefer the heaviest bullet possible due to the smaller case and hense, limited velocity.
    My opinion here is just that, my opinion based on my experience.

I would say there is some credence to Fackler's testing. The only problem is the experts can't agree. But what we can agree on is the track record of the 357. And the 45. Both have become legends and the standard we measure the rest by.

Like I said, I went from 9mm to 45 to 9mm to 10mm to .357 and that is what I carry EDC .357 or 10mm, mostly .357

I too carry a 38 or 357 when on my own time. The exception is when I am packing the 10mm, where weather and conditions call for easy maintanence, and max power and capacity is called for. Mostly when on long excursions in the woods. I probably shoot more 38 and 357 mag than anything. Easy to reload and and super accurate, especially the 38 cal revolvers. All the power anyone really needs.

I have gone the gambit, from carrying multiple mags and weapons to going full light weight. Only took me 25 years to get here . I carry the G29 when I am out in the desert with a couple G20 mags but for day to day, the LCR 357 and a speedstrip is fine for me. I have an arsenal in the ford.

VIP Member
    Wait a sec, here.... Your name is azchevy and you drive a Ford?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Wait a sec, here.... Your name is azchevy and you drive a Ford?
    I own a chevy truck too LOL

VIP Member
    I love these loaded questions with varying responses. For me, it would largely depend on the barrel length. Frankly, I’m at a point in life where I don’t much care for anything magnum. When I was younger and made of solid muscle, I loved my Model-28 Smith’. That thing would eat magnum loads and I would seldom have pain afterwards.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'm still waiting on my .50 BMG round double stack 16 round pistol to be finished.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I love these loaded questions with varying responses. For me, it would largely depend on the barrel length. Frankly, I’m at a point in life where I don’t much care for anything magnum. When I was younger and made of solid muscle, I loved my Model-28 Smith’. That thing would eat magnum loads and I would seldom have pain afterwards.
    Sabre, I'm kind of there myself. Getting to where the enjoyment of shooting and reloading is more important than anything.

If I had advance warning that everyone's favorite internet bogyman was going to come through the door (all drug-fueled 300 lbs. of him) requiring me to deal with him, and I had a choice of .357 Magnum or .45 ACP, I'd feel equally secure in the knowledge that I had a reasonable handgun with which to stop him, no matter which one I picked.

How's that for a run-on sentence?
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The 357, which is an elongated 38 case, and therfore 38 caliber,
    Ummm, dat's backards wrt caliber.

Since one handgun round will likely be insufficient, I prefer something that allows me to get back on target/fire again sooner. That rules out the .357 Mag.
    My G23 is thinner than my SP101, length and height are about equal, weighs the same loaded, and holds almost 3x the number of rounds and is easier/quicker to reload. (Save the Miculek comments - he's a freak of nature, but in a good way). Spare magazines are easier to carry than speedloaders.
    An individual round in .357 Mag may be more powerful, but I have way more firepower with the .40 S&W.
    Guess what I carry.
    I'd choose the .45 for the same reasons.

Read a mag article recently where Clint Smith said that when carrying a revolver, he loads it with .38+P and specifically not .357 Mag.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    what's the difference between a duck?

^^^Between a duck and what???^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm going to wait on this thread to fill up...

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm personally in the .357 camp,but who in the heck cares, right?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    what's the difference between a duck?
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^Between a duck and what???^^^^^^^^^
    one of its legs are both the same

it's just as sensible as a caliber thread
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Ummm, dat's backards wrt caliber.

Since one handgun round will likely be insufficient, I prefer something that allows me to get back on target/fire again sooner. That rules out the .357 Mag.
    My G23 is thinner than my SP101, length and height are about equal, weighs the same loaded, and holds almost 3x the number of rounds and is easier/quicker to reload. (Save the Miculek comments - he's a freak of nature, but in a good way). Spare magazines are easier to carry than speedloaders.
    An individual round in .357 Mag may be more powerful, but I have way more firepower with the .40 S&W.
    Guess what I carry.
    I'd choose the .45 for the same reasons.

Read a mag article recently where Clint Smith said that when carrying a revolver, he loads it with .38+P and specifically not .357 Mag.
    What part is backwards?
    Dont pay much attention to Clint Smiths comments. Met him at the old school. He is a great instructor, but one day he doesnt carry anything unless it starts with a 4 and ends with anything but a zero, and the next hes packin a 38 cal revolver. You have to learn to take this stuff with a grain of salt. Its a business to them.
    The capacity combined with the 40 is a great choice in my opinion. Having 13 or 15 is certainly comforting to many people. Not being able to recover from the recoil of one over the other is an individual thing. Not everybody has the same problem. My wife can empty a cylinder full of hot mags pretty damn fast and keep them all on target. Just depends on your ability and preference.

I met the Internet version of the "boogieman" in a professional capacity.

This was one person that literally scared me. I took one look at him, prison muscles and all, and while I wanted to just say "Mommy" and be done with it, said ".357 Magnum". Every now and then I meet someone, infrequently at that, that makes me reach for the primal "King of the Street", if for no other reason than for something comparable to Linus and his Blanket. The .357 Magnum 125 Grain loading is my "go to" caliber of all handguns rounds for concealed carry, and I'm reaching the point where tha bark and bang is reaching the point of diminishing returns for me. I'm at the age where I'm starting to notice the stiff elbows and sore wrist.

The .45 ACP, is also a proven caliber that with certain loadings is almost as good as the magnum, and I perceive the recoil as being less. Thus both are worthy of consideration, but perhaps at different times in a shooter's life.

Biker

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links