357 vs. 45 ? - Page 4

357 vs. 45 ?

This is a discussion on 357 vs. 45 ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by BikerRN I met the Internet version of the "boogieman" in a professional capacity. This was one person that literally scared me. I ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 357 vs. 45 ?

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I met the Internet version of the "boogieman" in a professional capacity.

This was one person that literally scared me. I took one look at him, prison muscles and all, and while I wanted to just say "Mommy" and be done with it, said ".357 Magnum". Every now and then I meet someone, infrequently at that, that makes me reach for the primal "King of the Street", if for no other reason than for something comparable to Linus and his Blanket. The .357 Magnum 125 Grain loading is my "go to" caliber of all handguns rounds for concealed carry, and I'm reaching the point where tha bark and bang is reaching the point of diminishing returns for me. I'm at the age where I'm starting to notice the stiff elbows and sore wrist.

The .45 ACP, is also a proven caliber that with certain loadings is almost as good as the magnum, and I perceive the recoil as being less. Thus both are worthy of consideration, but perhaps at different times in a shooter's life.

Biker
    I believe you have hit on something here. I never thought of it that way, but its true. I think a good 38 special in a hardcast swc is great also. Easy to shoot, but a great penetrater

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    I haven't seen a 1911 in .357 mag. lately so I guess I'll just stay with the .45.
    Is this close enough for you? http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg179-e.htm
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    What are you able to shoot well? Shot placement.....380 or 500 Magnum...can you shoot it well enough to defend yourself under stress? Hopefully the majority of us will never have to find out....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Would not want to get hit by any of them, nuff said.

I have both and prefer the 45...I like bigger holes! They tend to leak more.
    I dont trust a handgun calibar bullet to KNOCK DOWN someone...so I want blood loss! IMHO bigger is better.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

I have both calibers and feel equally confident in the end results of each.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

"...I'm reaching the point where tha bark and bang is reaching the point of diminishing returns for me. I'm at the age where I'm starting to notice the stiff elbows and sore wrist."

No Biker! Say it isn't so. Surly we can't be gettin' old yet.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Both .357 Mag and .38 Spec use .357 caliber bullets, not .38. Cartridge name is meaningless wrt bore/bullet size as the two are rarely the same. .270<>.277, .30-06<>.308, .44<>.429, ...

Would a Colt Delta Elite be a nice compromise? 10mm punch in a 1911 style package!

Good lord I need about 20 grand to fund all my must have guns

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Both .357 Mag and .38 Spec use .357 caliber bullets, not .38. Cartridge name is meaningless wrt bore/bullet size as the two are rarely the same. .270<>.277, .30-06<>.308, .44<>.429, ...
    Actually, since people want to be technical, the 38/357 uses a 357-358 diameter bullet, and the 44s use a 429,or 430 diameter bullet. I have assembled enough to know. But like I said , the 38 and 357 ARE considered 38 caliber. The 9mm is also considered close enough to a 38 cal to fire out of a 38/357 barrel even though it is a 355 diameter bullet. When refering to a particular caliber , noone I know says "oh, I have a 429 magnum, or a .277 deer rifle".

Still never heard back from the OP as to where his question was headed... 3 days and 50+ posts later.

I wonder if he had a real question or just wanted to stir the pot!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

only one way to settle this, pistols at 20 paces, lol

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    only one way to settle this, pistols at 20 paces, lol
    Go get a pistol.

Me, I'll get behind cover with my rifle.

Biker

Mossberg 590a1 12g 20" 8+1 Spedfeeder, modified Limbsaver butt.<>Glock G30 45 auto<>Beretta 92FS 9mm Inox
    <>Smith & Wession 360 357mag<>Marlin 60ss, Bushnell 3-9 scope<>Kel-Tec Sub2k 9mm Glock mags, quick release red dot sight<>
    All I need Is a Sig 226 .40. And .556 tactical carbine of some sort.

I don't think Billy Badass attacking you will give a hoot what it is when he is hit with it. Generally though I have read that a .357 round being a hotter load with more velocity causes more shock trauma than a .45acp which is traveling slower. The .45acp will tear more tissue as it passes through creating a larger wound channel, but won't produce the same type of surrounding shock trauma generally speaking. Not that I am an expert but my reading has always come to this conclusion. Then there is Dr. Roberts who's studies show that a fast moving .357sig round does about the same damage as a .45acp in the "shock trauma" department.
    Notice how the .357sig traveling at 1319fps is doing about the same damage as any other round and penetrates to the same depth (past 12"). What this tells me is that it doesn't matter as long as you hit the target. Shot placement is the winner.

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links