357 vs. 45 ?

This is a discussion on 357 vs. 45 ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well since it's time for the weekly caliber war I'll add this. Found this chart on that "internet" thingy. Only problem is, who knows if ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 357 vs. 45 ?

Well since it's time for the weekly caliber war I'll add this.
    Found this chart on that "internet" thingy.

Only problem is, who knows if it's accurate and the bullet weights are not liste. I would HOPE that the values graphed are for the highest energy for each round, but since I didn't make the chart I can't say for sure.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Looks pretty accurate to me..... I'm no ballistics expert, but I do like to compare various rounds and manufactures against each other, the chart looks as if it could have taken a few minutes to put together.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

OK I'll play devil's advocate. What are the bullet weights? Barrel lengths? Pistol or Revolver? The chart doesn't say.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    OK I'll play devil's advocate. What are the bullet weights? Barrel lengths? Pistol or Revolver? The chart doesn't say.
    Exactly my problem with the chart, that and that it shows the .380 having more energy than the 38 Special, even though the 38 is generally considered a better self defense round.

On a side note, when I was originally doing a little internet surfing I came across a reply on another forum to a question concerning a certain caliber. The person replying stated a very strong matter of fact opinion. but then two paragraphes down they mention that they have NEVER even shot a gun of any type!
    Isn't it great that we can reley on these internet experts?

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Meaningless question.

The .45 is a semi-auto round, and the .357 is for revolvers. What's the grain of bullet you're talking about, and what's the barrel length of the firearm in question?

The short answer is that they're about the same, but as you wade through the various charts and tables and ballistic gelatin tests and FBI reports, etc., the .357 usually comes out on top in terms of percentage of one-shot-drops. The .45 will usually have more rounds onboard. Pretty much a tie.
    Shockwave,excellent reply,thanks,actucally,i was confused by this question

I read a lot of threads and articles about defensive carry and for me I have come to one conclusion “it depends” between growing up in a family that takes sporting seriously from fishing and hunting, to sporting clays and shooting matches (turkey shoots) and add that to being retired military I have a lot of experience with guns. I still never have an absolute answer of what to carry what is better velocity or punch etc.. I have come to this It depends. I love guns have them in all calibers from 44mag to 22lr, I have HP 9mm 1911 45ACP the list goes on.. I carry one gun all the time it is not my favorite gun I do not think it is pretty but I would like to have it in my hand if I am unfortunate enough to get in a gun fight; for me it is my Glock 22 40 CAL. My dad is retired military and retired contractor for the CIA, he has more guns than I do, but he always carries his S&W 357 Mag with 4” Barrel that is the gun he wants in his hand if he needs to fight. Having confidence and being extremely comfortable with your choice of gun in my opinion is worth a lot more than agonizing over capacity or caliber or or or etc…. This is just my opinion, I am also confused when I read about people who change carry guns from time to time I think picking the carry gun and sticking with it is important and then practice to the point a safe draw safety off etc… is second nature and always the same the high stress of a fight is not time to think out steps of remember what action is needed for the pistol you decided to carry that day.

Did not mean to ramble my point is 357, 40 , 45 the one that works for you will be more effective that the other if you are not comfortable with it regardless of its overall power.. My dad will never carry a Glock 40 cal like mine, I do not think I would every carry a 357 wheel gun like he does and that is ok...

On average they're about the same for stopping power. However, there are nuances.

The .45 is best for home defense. The advantage to the .45 is that it has less penetration (less likely to kill innocent people or go through walls) and it's not nearly as loud (reduces likelyhood of hearing damage). Another awesome thing about the .45 ACP, you don't have to pick between a semi-auto or a revolver. You can have both! S&W makes great .45 ACP revolvers.

The .357 is best for hunting and wide open spaces. It has a very flat trajectory and is much more accurate at longer ranges. People take down deer and bears with .357's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    E=MC²
    Pssst. It's F=MA. E=MC² is the energy released when splitting an atom. For example, if a nuclear bomb was 100% efficient in it's fission, the equation would be E=MC².

F=MA is Force equals Mass times acceleration. Increasing the mass or the acceleration of the bullet will increase the force.

Use the Force equation, Luke....

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGunner View Post
    Pssst. It's F=MA. E=MC² is the energy released when splitting an atom. For example, if a nuclear bomb was 100% efficient in it's fission, the equation would be E=MC².

F=MA is Force equals Mass times acceleration. Increasing the mass or the acceleration of the bullet will increase the force.

Force is not the question in this instance.

Energy delivered is a valid evaluation, however it's "Kinetic Energy" as opposed to nuclear.

KE = 1/2MV²

Use the Newtonian equation.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGunner View Post

My bad...........actually I think the formula has been dis-proven just the same as gravity is not actually a force. Learn something new every day. Maybe we give science too much power. Math always works. I figure the 45ACP still has the lead over 357SIG. Caliber wars might make a good TV series now....just like garage wars, parking wars, storage wars, repo wars, pawn shop wars.......etc! Woo hoo!
    I will try to seek the force from now on.

VIP Member
    E=MC^2 is not simply about nuclear fission, it is the relationship between mass and energy in all things, where mass is a property of all energy and energy is a property of all mass, the two things being connected by a constant ("C," which is the speed of light in a vacuum).

Gravitation is for all intents and purposes a force. It is one of the four "fundamental interactions" of the universe, along with electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I load my 4" S&W 620 with BB 158 gr. 38+P. At 115o fps and 475 ftlbs it is both powerful and easier to shoot for me.

My car is faster than your car...... So there!!!!
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    A hit with either one will surely get results. A miss with either don't matter anyway.

I haven't seen a 1911 in .357 mag. lately so I guess I'll just stay with the .45.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo4go...e_gdata_player

I just acquired the Coonan 357 Magnum 1911. Excellent pistol. It is the best compromise.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links