357 vs. 45 ?

357 vs. 45 ?

This is a discussion on 357 vs. 45 ? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what is more powerfull 45 or 357? and if its 45 then how does the 40 cal stack up to the 357?...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 357 vs. 45 ?

357 vs. 45 ?

what is more powerfull 45 or 357? and if its 45 then how does the 40 cal stack up to the 357?

Meaningless question.

The .45 is a semi-auto round, and the .357 is for revolvers. What's the grain of bullet you're talking about, and what's the barrel length of the firearm in question?

The short answer is that they're about the same, but as you wade through the various charts and tables and ballistic gelatin tests and FBI reports, etc., the .357 usually comes out on top in terms of percentage of one-shot-drops. The .45 will usually have more rounds onboard. Pretty much a tie.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Lots of internet banter on this topic, google it would be my recommendation and you'll see lots of opinions. Personally, I always considered the 357 mag to have more "power" than the 45. To me, the question is what platform do you prefer, a revolver or a semi-auto? I'm not sure if the 40 is considered a higher energy round than the 45 but it is a lighter round, exp in the 165 gr format so it would have a higher velocity and I believe the pressures generated in the 40 are in the "magnum" range. Regardless of the pure physics of the 40, I'd say from high to low, 357, 45, 40. One opinion to add to the pile.

I personally carry shorter barrel revolver and pistols. Due to my carry preference, I prefer the 357 mag. The 357 mag's energy seems to be less affected in shorter barrels than say an already slow round (45) which was initially designed to shoot out of a 5" barrel. Pure speculation on my part, which you'll get a lot of in posts like this.
    dawei likes this.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Meaningless question.

The .45 is a semi-auto round, and the .357 is for revolvers. What's the grain of bullet you're talking about, and what's the barrel length of the firearm in question?

The short answer is that they're about the same, but as you wade through the various charts and tables and ballistic gelatin tests and FBI reports, etc., the .357 usually comes out on top in terms of percentage of one-shot-drops. The .45 will usually have more rounds onboard. Pretty much a tie.
    And then we have the .357 Sig for semi-auto's and the .45 long for revolvers.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

what's the difference between a duck?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm going to wait on this thread to fill up...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    what is more powerfull 45 or 357? and if its 45 then how does the 40 cal stack up to the 357?

Are you looking for absolute answers, or are you considering one of these calibers for defensive purposes?

If the former, then a lot depends on specific loading (bullet weight, muzzle velocity) and barrel length.

If the latter, then a lot depends on the specific weapon you intend to use.

Providing you with an intelligent answer depends on how you intend to use the information - i.e., to win a bet, to defend yourself, etc.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    "I'm going to wait on this thread to fill up..."

Please pass the salt..

E=MC˛
    It will always be that way. Mass, velocity, and energy put into the target.
    Then again, the effects will only be seen if you hit the target, and according to where you hit the target for best effect (one shot, two shots...or more).
    Actually, personal defensive ammo attempts to make up for any shortcomings in the above formula in two ways......increasing the velocity, or increasing the impact. Ballistics is another science, but it's all based on the same principle and formula while tossing the human body and it's reactions into the mix. 'Penetration', wound cavity, blood loss, initial shock, etc...... "What's more powerful?" Answer..............define power, and how much of it you need to do the task at hand.
    I have my minimum acceptable caliber or cartridge for what I intend to do to accomplish a task. On any given day, I'm comfortable with my choice no matter what it may be. No caliber war getting started here. Too many variables. If I could conceal carry Clint Eastwood's .44 Auto-Mag, then I would. Thing is.......I can't afford one, nor conceal one, so I'll compromise a little bit and go back to the formula of E=MC˛. Consider all things equal. 9mm and above IMO. Anything less is where more of the questions come from.

.357, sure, if you want to kill ants. If you want to blow off the sides of buildings, get a .45 +++++PPPPP.

For critters, I believe that the 357 is superior, for humans, either will do the job.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Hey, RamRod, have you found a round that travels at the speed of light squared? I'd have to buy a few boxes of that...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

.357, .45, and .40. All do a great job of SD when deployed properly and hit the target efficiently and effectively. Take your pick. Choose the weapon that best fits your needs (hand fit, sight picture, size, weight, carry options, capacity, ability to be accurate, etc.) and which caliber you can control, put on target, and have quick and accurate follow-up shots. Between those three calibers, it really only comes down to your ability and preference of platform. I have all three in carry guns that I regularly carry (depending on dress, situation, carry method, etc.) and I feel equally confident in all three and my abilities with them. You hit the right spot, and it really doesn't matter which of these three is "more powerful." The difference in a properly placed shot will be negligible.
    RichB70 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

The 357 magnum gets it's power thru energy churned up by it's velocity. The 45 gets it's power thru it's weight and mass. In short , they both do the same thing in different ways. The larger diameter of the 45 gives it more weight potential, and therefore uses this to bore it's way into the vitals. The 357, which is an elongated 38 case, and therfore 38 caliber, uses it's energy created by it's magnum velocity to blast into and destroy tissue.
    It is believed that this higher velocity creates a fluid shockwave which aids in stoping power.
    So if you measure energy as power, the 357 mag wins. However, energy alone doesn't tell the whole story in real world applications.

A hit with either one will surely get results. A miss with either don't matter anyway.

I haven't seen a 1911 in .357 mag. lately so I guess I'll just stay with the .45.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links