Drt .380 - Page 2

Drt .380

This is a discussion on Drt .380 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paul34 While there has been exhaustive discussion on what works best for .380, I'd say that you'd probably be better off using ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drt .380

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    While there has been exhaustive discussion on what works best for .380, I'd say that you'd probably be better off using something for maximum penetration, rather than a frangible round. This might be "safe" around others, but it'll be so safe it probably won't even really hurt the bad guy.
    Well said! Penetration is the key to any self defense round and for the 380 ACP, Buffalo Bore 100-gr. Hardcast or FMJ should be the norm. IF you insist on a HP, make sure it's BONDED, like Winchester Supreme 95-gr. PDX1.

The FBI says that 62% of police shootings, a bullet travels through an arm, hand, or leg before even touching the chest area and PD's frequently state that 50% of time the bullet has to travel at a odd angle before reaching the vitals. This is why PENETRATION is King and expansion is Queen!
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Another Example:

The average self defense HP loses 4" - 6" of penetrating power in flesh when it goes through a leather glove (both sides).
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Here's testing on "Extreme Shock" ammo...similar concept to DRT

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Yup, and I believe that these two statements from that site kinda says it all.

From the BOT findings. 2. Claim: They are supposed to be able to penetrate a bad guy enough to be effective Stoppers.
    Findings: Both the Fang Face and Air Freedom rounds only fully penetrated 1 jug and slightly entered the second jug.

This is equilivant of 3 or 4 inches of penetration in ballistic gelatin. Some experts have doubts that this is enough penetration to reach the vital organs of a bad guy.

In addition; I can understand and totally agree with trying to avoid over penetration in a gun fight. IMO, that is where a good JHP .45 rules the day. Good size wound channel and enough horse power to get it to the vitals with minimal chance for over penetration. Like wise for the .357 snub IMO. Another thought, in 9mm a lighter faster traveling round would work here too. They're supposed to have more energy, but less penetration. I don't have any experience with these rounds as I really don't worry about it to much, it's just stuff that I've read in my research. YMMV

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links