Remington Ultimate Home Defense

This is a discussion on Remington Ultimate Home Defense within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy all. I was trolling around on the internet, age and inability to sleep will do that to a fella. Anyway, I managed to find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Ultimate Home Defense

Howdy all.

I was trolling around on the internet, age and inability to sleep will do that to a fella. Anyway, I managed to find myself at the Remington website, so I decided to compare the stats on two different bullets.

I saw that Remington has a new line of handgun ammunition out, called "Ultimate Home Defense". While I seldom use the Golden Saber load, it is a well respected load that seems to fare well. So in the interest boredom, and using the manufacturer's comparision tool, I decided to compare the 230 Grain .45 ACP load in each product line.

Bear in mind, I have seen a box of the new stuff, but have not so much as taken a cartridge out of the box, or shot any. I have a small supply of Golden Saber bullets, and I'm looking to get some more soon, if my new 1911 likes it after it's broken in and treated to some minor modifications.

At first glance, while the boxes appear vastly different, the cartridges themselves appear to be the same, with some of the same promotional wording. Looking at the comparision, the statistics that Remington puts up on each bullet are 100% identical. This leads me to believe that the "new and improved" Ultimate Home Defense load is actually the Golden Saber under a different name.

I could be wrong, but I can see them doing this to appeal to the homeowner as opposed to the LEO's or "gun people" that actually pay attention to what they put in their gun. If anyone has both boxes I would be interested in hearing if you can tell a difference between the two. I may go with this newer load, as it is easier to find right now.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter. Take care and stay safe.

Biker

VIP Member
    Biker - When I first saw the HD ammo, it was replacing Golden Saber at my LGS so I did the same thing you did. After not being able to discern the difference, I called Remington to see what I was missing. There is NO DIFFERENCE except the packaging. This is a marketing move to get more shelf space - 2 packages - but the same product. If you have liked the Golden Sabre, as I do, you will like the HD as well. Same bullets, different box. Your assessment of the marketing play is accurate.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

This is Remington's "new and inproved" stuff.
    What's next, "better than ever"?
    That said, the "regular stuff" isn't bad ammo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you are looking for a Remington ammo that is "better" then go bonded golden saber.

That said...When I had a .45ACP I wasn't all that ammo sensitive. 185 grain XTP...230 grain Hydrashock...whatever.

It was a 45ACP JHP. I figure that if I put it into someone's chest or head it would probably do something to make the person I'm shooting go away...

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    If you are looking for a Remington ammo that is "better" then go bonded golden saber.

That said...When I had a .45ACP I wasn't all that ammo sensitive. 185 grain XTP...230 grain Hydrashock...whatever.

It was a 45ACP JHP. I figure that if I put it into someone's chest or head it would probably do something to make the person I'm shooting go away...
    Very true.

I just like to know that what I'm putting in my gun functions. I tend to pick one ammo, and stick with it, while also having an idea of what else will work. The secondary ammo selections don't get the function testing that my carry ammo does, but I still put fifty or so rounds through the gun to get an idea at to whether or not it will work in my gun.

Biker

I usually try to put as much of as many round I can through a gun when I get it, and if it does fine baring ammo malf's (like with ultramax...but that's not really ammo...it's a box of malfunction clearances that make holes in paper...) I just carry what I can on hand or stockpile.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Lesson number one of marketing class:
    The majority of people, in general, are suckers. Campbell soup is Campbell soup--no matter how fat or thin the kids on the label are.

Practically any .45 ACP round in the right spot will do the job. None in the wrong spot will. But a fancy label can make you think so...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds just like golf balls. Years ago they set limits on balls and how far they can go when struck at a certain velocity. Yet the industry continues to sell NEW products that offer even further 'long balls' and promises of even greater distance. This is pure hype to sell new products and nothing more.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Federal EFMJ? Over the years I probably have used every type of new/improved SD ammo on the market. I have done some research on this ammo but it has all been media presented.
    Attached Images

Remigton also has a couple of new SD shotgun loads out that look to be interesting. a duplex and a BB load with high density pellets. Those might be something different.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Well if this is just repackaged Golden Saber then count me in (as long as the price is the same of course). Golden Saber is good stuff. I especially like it in the .380, but my .45 likes it as well.

Come on the new stuff has to be better! It's Ultimate isn't it? Hope it doesn't become too EXTREEEEME!

I load my own.
    Allows me to control recoill, velocity, projectile weight retention/expansion, and guarantees 100% reliabilty and consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    I load my own.
    Allows me to control recoil, velocity, projectile weight retention/expansion, and guarantees 100% reliability and consistency.
    Not a bad approach at all.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Giffordd View Post
    Does anyone have any first hand experience with Federal EFMJ? Over the years I probably have used every type of new/improved SD ammo on the market. I have done some research on this ammo but it has all been media presented.
    Didn't do any gelatin testing, shot a few mags to see how it would feed in my M&P & Kimber, We had three different kinds of HD HP FMJ rounds, the other Hornaday 40 CAL 155GR JHP/XTP can't rember the third but they all did well for what we were looking for. This might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-fJF...eature=channel
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links