Ammunition chart ex: 7.62 x 51 is .308 etc.

This is a discussion on Ammunition chart ex: 7.62 x 51 is .308 etc. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wondering if out there somewhere is a chart that tells a person which metric caliber and which standard caliber are interchangeable. I have a ...

Thread: Ammunition chart ex: 7.62 x 51 is .308 etc.

I'm wondering if out there somewhere is a chart that tells a person which metric caliber and which standard caliber are interchangeable. I have a suspicion that 5.56mm and .223 are close but not the same and I've started wondering about 7.62 x 39, 7.62 x 51 and the 30 caliber class.

Thanks.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I'm wondering if out there somewhere is a chart that tells a person which metric caliber and which standard caliber are interchangeable. I have a suspicion that 5.56mm and .223 are close but not the same and I've started wondering about 7.62 x 39, 7.62 x 51 and the 30 caliber class.

Thanks.
    I've always used 5.56 brass in my .223 with no issues whatsoever. All "7.62" bullets are .30 caliber, the x 39, x51 is the length. I've never owned a .308 but the NATO ( 7.62X51?) equivalent would probably work okay.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

7.62 39

7.62/39 is the russian round for ak47 sks etc.308 and 7.62/51 are close some firearms such as my remington were designed to fire both other firearms especially mil spec firearms are designed to fire 7.62/51 and firing 308 in them could have spectacular and unintended consequences. when in the army the m16 we were issued could fire 5.56 mil or 556 remington but 556 remington would not fire full auto.be very sure what you are doing being unattentive could have disasterous consequences

Not all 7.62/30 cal projectiles are the same. Most .308/30 cal use .308 projectiles, the 7.62x39 uses a .311 projectile.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That is what I worry about. I know that some AR's can fire .223 and 5.56 but some are just .223. I found a can of rifle bullets which the packages are labled 7.62 x 39 or 51 (I don't remember) but then the can was labled .308. I have access to a .308 rifle and don't know if the ammo is worth keeping or if I should sell it (cue the rediculous offers to buy the "worthless" ammo from dc.commers). I'm also considering getting an AK-47 in the traditional 7.62 x 39 caliber and I don't want to get rid of a stash of ammo for a gun that I hope to get soon. I've googled it and searched here and I just have a hard time believing there is not better information out there to clear it all up. Trust me I will be careful and not fire anything I'm not 110% sure about. Another issue I have is several misc rifle bullets that look to be .30-06 but the only thing that makes any sense in the headstamp is just "match"? I don't know if I'm supposed to strike it to make fire or couple it with pretty bullet.
    NRA Life Member

You may find this of some value.

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That helps Guantes, thanks!
    NRA Life Member

7.62x51 and .308 Win not necessarily interchangeable

These two links offer the historical perspective:
    http://www.303british.com/id36.html
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...nato/index.asp

This link gives the answer more directly:
    http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html

Real quick summary - you may be able to load a 7.62x51 in a .308 chamber, and shoot it safely if it chambers.

You will be able to load a .308 in a 7.62x51 chamber, but it may not be safe.

The NATO-spec cartridges have a longer headspace dimension, but a lower max pressure than the commercial round.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post

Thanks.

There's only one 7.62X39. As for the 7.62X51 vs. .308win, it's the same ordeal as 5.56mm vs. the .223 Rem. Search the internet for details. I've seemed to have lost (or can't find) some of my best resources over the years. I guess I figured these were some of the more well known and available facts these days. Forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    There's only one 7.62X39. As for the 7.62X51 vs. .308win, it's the same ordeal as 5.56mm vs. the .223 Rem. Search the internet for details. I've seemed to have lost (or can't find) some of my best resources over the years. I guess I figured these were some of the more well known and available facts these days. Forgive me.
    No problem, I still consider myself a pistol newbie and my rifle-foo is even fresher. Let's not even talk about re-loading skills. I inherited some guns and some ammo and Dad was an auction fan so he had some strange ammo that makes me wonder.
    NRA Life Member

Links