Bulk ammo

This is a discussion on Bulk ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you guys have a good source for bulk ammo at a good price for 9mm?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulk ammo

Bulk ammo

Do any of you guys have a good source for bulk ammo at a good price for 9mm?

2. Remove Ads

Ammotogo.com and wrigleys are a few that I've had good luck with.

The trick is, you have to buy around 1000 rounds or more to off set the shipping cost.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Ammoman.com also has decent deals on occasion; note that his prices include shipping, so be aware when you compare prices. Likewise, when you compare prices remember if you buy locally you'll pay sales tax.

The big gun shows out here (AZ) often have bulk ammo for good prices, but you need to do your price research in advance.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

People seem to forget the cost for shipping...save a few buck on ammo price, pay the difference in shipping.

Just a thought, but I support two different gun shops, and when I buy in bulk, they treat me well. They will actually look around and wait for a better price, then notify me.
    It's why I support these two shops.
    If you have a gun shop that you go to regularly, talk to them about bulk ammo prices.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    On the flip side, buying bulk makes sense because of shipping. If you are going to buy 500 rounds or less, shipping may be a factor but you are not paying a high mark-up from your local gun shop and just taking what they happen to have on hand.
    Plus you are not paying state sales tax by buying on-line except at on-line sources like Cabelas that may have a store in your state.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    For 9mm it seems like the prices at Wal Mart for the 100 round boxes would be hard to beat. You pay the tax but no shipping and you can buy the quantity you want.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I highly suggest checking out LuckyGunner.com

You don't have to spend your time+money driving to the local store (crowded by local wild-life).

I received my order the same week I ordered it (ordered around Monday, got it Friday).

Pretty competitive prices and well boxed shipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    For 9mm it seems like the prices at Wal Mart for the 100 round boxes would be hard to beat. You pay the tax but no shipping and you can buy the quantity you want.
    The only issue is that unfortunately, not everyone's WalMart has any useful stock of ammo. My local WM hasn't had .45 ACP in two years. Last week I saw two boxes of WWB JHP. $30 a box? I don't know why anyone would buy that when you could get Gold Dots for the same price. Only two boxes.

I usually see 3-4 boxes of 9mm (WWB) there, but that's about it. But at least it is there, most of the time. If it disappears, it probably won't be back for another few weeks.

But it is rarely worth buy just a couple of boxes off the internet - usually more cost effective to get it from your LGS/WalMart/whatever. I usually get about 6+ boxes if I order ammo, and make sure to calculate how much the "real" cost is (including shipping) to be sure I'm not paying more than I would at my LGS. Just for the record, I have experiences with ammunitiontogo and Cabelas for ordering ammo. Be careful with Cabelas; they only mention the round count in the box in tiny print next to the order button. You have to be careful of what you're ordering. I learned that the hard way. I once bought two "boxes" of Gold Dots, only to discover they were the 20 round boxes. My mistake for not reading carefully enough... but that was an expensive mistake.

But there's also something to be said for supporting your local gun store.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    The only issue is that unfortunately, not everyone's WalMart has any useful stock of ammo. My local WM hasn't had .45 ACP in two years. Last week I saw two boxes of WWB JHP. $30 a box? I don't know why anyone would buy that when you could get Gold Dots for the same price. Only two boxes.

I usually see 3-4 boxes of 9mm (WWB) there, but that's about it. But at least it is there, most of the time. If it disappears, it probably won't be back for another few weeks.

But it is rarely worth buy just a couple of boxes off the Internet - usually more cost effective to get it from your LAGS/WalMart/whatever. I usually get about 6+ boxes if I order ammo, and make sure to calculate how much the "real" cost is (including shipping) to be sure I'm not paying more than I would at my LGS. Just for the record, I have experiences with ammunitiontogo and Cabelas for ordering ammo. Be careful with Cabelas; they only mention the round count in the box in tiny print next to the order button. You have to be careful of what you're ordering. I learned that the hard way. I once bought two "boxes" of Gold Dots, only to discover they were the 20 round boxes. My mistake for not reading carefully enough... but that was an expensive mistake.

But there's also something to be said for supporting your local gun store.
    There are trade offs between buying from an Internet source and there is a difference between buying "bulk" and buying by the case. Buying bulk at wholesale usually involves purchases of 25,000 rounds or more of a single caliber. There is sometimes a small savings with buying by the case depending on the brand.

So, as you note, it comes down to availability + shipping vs. availability + state sales tax. Normally there is a much larger available selection of a particular type of ammo by purchasing from an on-line source. Most on-line retailers do not collect state sales tax except in the state or states where they operate from or have retail stores. Shipping is not free. You pay for it with a higher ammunition cost or by paying the freight cost. All the local gun shops have to pay the freight to get it to their shop. Some gun shops will limit quantities and some will only sell certain ammo cheap if you shoot it at their range. This is an effective loss leader for the LGS. All shipping of ammunition is made by contract carriers, usually UPS or FedEx. Shipping is by ground transport except to AK and HI. Carriers discount their rates to retail customers based on volume shipped. Even with a negotiated discount, the carrier charges on the basis of weight and zip code. Shipping costs can reduce the end user cost by buying in quantity. This is just a matter of economy in numbers.

I'm for buying US product when possible. If you really want to help the local mom and pop GS then don't buy from Walmart. The LGS probably has a website that you can buy from too.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Face it. You are not going to save anything because of the shipping and HAZ MAT fees. Even buying thousands is a pricey, but may be slightly cheaper. Best advise, The large local stores for a few boxes at a time, maybe the local gun store.

I don't know what the HAZ MAT fees are, but just say the shipping for 2 boxes or 200 rounds is $5. and your taxes are 7% figure it out.
    Wot part of 'public servant' don't they understand!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBSW View Post
    Face it. You are not going to save anything because of the shipping and HAZ MAT fees. Even buying thousands is a pricey, but may be slightly cheaper. Best advise, The large local stores for a few boxes at a time, maybe the local gun store.

I don't know what the HAZ MAT fees are, but just say the shipping for 2 boxes or 200 rounds is $5. and your taxes are 7% figure it out.
    You do not pay HASMAT shipping fees for on-line ammunition purchases. Small arms ammunition is classified as ORM-D and does not in cure a $25.00 HASMAT fee.

Black powder and primers are considered HASMATS.

I sell plenty of ammo on-line and stock much more than what any local gun store is capable of keeping in inventory. Our prices are almost alway lower and ships right to your door in most states.
    - Zen Saying

I get my bulk ammo from my neighborhood gun store for the past ten years, after you buy a couple of weapons or ammo from them they'll start cutting you some deals. The way the economy is right now the local shops will be very thankful for your patronage.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    True. Wally World is hard to beat.......and most of mine are stocking the 250 round bulk yellow boxes of UMC again. Hard to beat, and if you're a Wal Mart hater (like I know some are), you ought to step into one and just test yourself. BTW...my local Wally Worlds seemed to have done away with their previous box limits from the shortage. All of my local WMs seem to have plenty in stock these days. When I think of "bulk ammo", I'm buying American made, brass cased, boxer primed for anything other than my AK. 'Surplus' and "bulk ammo" have separate definitions for me. Sometimes the two terms are thought of as the same, but they're not. Maybe it's my definition of ammo that I base my descriptions upon? I do know that shipping costs can eat your lunch with ammo. So much so that it may very well negate the savings on cost for the ammo alone. Depending on what you're looking for, I've had good experiences ordering on the internet with one of our forum sponsors......TDSUS. The only times I've ever ordered ammo over the internet and paid shipping. They weren't exactly huge buys, but for specialty ammo.......stuff I won't find at a gun show or at Wal Mart. LOL! If you want to save even more, call places before you go. The internet is one of the best ways to find phone numbers these days as well. There used to be a lot more hidden caves for bulk ammo than there are today. Years ago, I bought a couple of cases of .223 from a hardware store at a price you wouldn't believe now. Some of our local country feed stores carry ammo at reasonable prices (these days). Even the Ace Hardware store I used to frequent carried several brands of 22lr at good prices. All the hard work, and overtime really paid off for me (back in the day) when prices were decent or more acceptable. Every time me and the wife pack up for the range outing, I'm reminded of that. I'm still a working man, but I can open a door or two and look at what I have now as opposed to looking back in the past and thinking of what I could have had, or where I would be now without it. Some of the price stickers are still on the boxes. I'm still conservative with what I have and like to replenish what I've used. But it's not so much a dire situation to re-stock the supply now.

I've beaten Wally World price and selection (yes selection matters to me because I don't like dirty ammo) online. Even with shipping, buying 500 or 1000 at a time comes out few cents cheaper per round. That adds up when you are talking about shooting regularly.

I suppose it varies because while someone might find 9mm in 50 round boxes at wally world for $10 I have to pay $15 locally. Different areas have different pricing I think.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    Do any of you guys have a good source for bulk ammo at a good price for 9mm?
    Palmetto State Armory Blazer 115gr Aluminum 1,000 rounds... $213.49 including freight and ins.
    Just got some Fri....ordered Mon.
    Freight cost should be same for you ($12.00/case)
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links