State Patrol calibers... FYI

This is a discussion on State Patrol calibers... FYI within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What the Staties use… From the latest issue of American Handgunner – the most popular handgun calibers used by that state police in 49 states ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: State Patrol calibers... FYI

State Patrol calibers... FYI

What the Staties use…

From the latest issue of American Handgunner – the most popular handgun calibers used by that state police in 49 states are (HI has no state police agency, hence only 49 states):

.40 S&W - AL, AK, AZ, CA, CO, CT, IL, IO, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NV, ND, OH, OR, UT, VT, WA, WI, WY (26)
    .357 Sig - DE, MT, NM, NC, OK, RI, SD, TN, TX, VA (10)
    .45 ACP - AR, ID, KS, ME, NH, WV (6)
    .45 GAP - FL, GA, NY, PA, SC (5)
    9mm - IN, NJ (2)

Big surprise (to me) to see how few use the 9mm these days; less of a surprise but still interesting to see how many state agencies have adopted the .357 Sig.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    what shocks me is that people actually use the GAP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I suspect Glock made those agencies some offers they couldn't refuse.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

In ky we had the 10mm before it's weak brother, and the 357 mag before that.

Honestly, not to stir the pot but, I'm suprised there aren't more that have switched from the 40 to the .357sig.

I know a number of officers who do not like the round and know one personally that left his dept., because they wouldn't allow him to carry something other than 40. It took him 5 rounds of dept issue Hydrashoks to drop a pit bull attacking a young girl.

He has no faith in the round, so he left and is now carrying an HK .45.

His personal testimony is why I too have no faith in the round and why I now carry a .357sig.

BTW, the last time I met with a PA Trooper I was pretty certain they were still carrying the Beretta in 40cal. I used to work out with the armorer who helped choose that weapon years ago.

I will have to check that.
    Last edited by Fastball; November 18th, 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: really bad spelling
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I think they all should use .357 mag revolvers and be done with it.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Desertrat View Post
    I think they all should use .357 mag revolvers and be done with it.
    I'm sure ANY LEO who saw the Hollywood shootout carnage would pass on that.

It seems the PA Troopers did recently switch to the .45GAP. Shocks me and as mentioned above, must have been one heck of a deal!!

My wife works for one, (she has a cleaning company), and I'll ask her to see what he thinks/has to say on the subject.

I would gladly go back to carrying the 357 mag revolver. The hollywood shoot out could have been ended much sooner with a well placed head shot. My 357 revolver is capable of this, my glock isn't as accurate.
    SmithWesson_27 likes this.

Well acually in handling and shooting the GAP, it is a very flat shooting and accurate round. It is an answer to a question nobody was asking. I wouldnt be upset with a dept asking me to carry the GAP. Especially if they are buying the ammo.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

ntg
    Interesting to see Texas with the .357sig. I thought the Texans when asked why they carry a .45 answered "Because they don't make a 46!" Little bit of a joke, but these are interesting stats, Thanks!

FWIW, our Sheriff's Office just went from .40sw ot .45 ACP about 9 months ago, but on the other hand the Sheriff retired out of the ISP. I'd be interested to know how Sheriff Offices and city police stack up in this way.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Please remind me not to borrow ammo from LEOs here.I dont want 45 gap through my Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I would gladly go back to carrying the 357 mag revolver. The hollywood shoot out could have been ended much sooner with a well placed head shot. My 357 revolver is capable of this, my glock isn't as accurate.
    Yeah, I knew 3 seconds after I hit "submit" that would be the arguement.

In that nutso of a shootout holding steady for a head shot with a 9mm or .357 would've been an impressive shot. Either way, .357/9mm, they were freakin' out gunned, it was just a tragic mess!

However, not to get off topic, when I watched some of that footage and saw all those rounds flying it looked to me that the officers close to the gunman were emptying their sidearms just for coverage to retreat.

You could do alot better and just switch to the .357sig and get the performance of the magnum AND the higher capacity of the auto. Which is the appeal of depts. switching to that caliber.

I'm done now.

True. It would be easy to armchair quarterback that situation. Still, I prefer the accuracy over capacity, for my uses.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The Hollywood Shootout was a rifle fight that people, cops or not, mistakenly brought handguns to.

Like the Miami Shootout, it was a failure of tactics that helped to lead to what some consider a "flawed conclusion". For me Glocks are as accurate as a Hand Grenade, and about as useful. I would gladly take a Revolver in .357 Magnum loaded with six little 125 Grain pills.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Why?

A .45 caliber projectile at the same velocity as the .45ACP in a pistol with a thinner grip so folks with smaller hands can get a better grip on it? Why is it shocking that LE agencies would find that attractive?

The REALITY is that not everyone has hands big enough to wrap aound a glock 21 and shoot it as well as they can shoot a pistol with a thinner grip like the G17,22,31,37. And those people are employed in law enforcement too.

Combine that with agencies looking for a .45 caliber pistol and the GAP makes sense. Especially if they are switching from either the G17,22,or31 as the mag pouches are the same size and they will not have to outfit everyone with new mag pouches too, just holsters as the slide on the G37 is just a little wider than the 17, 22, and 31. You see , there are different considerations arming a State police force vs arming a single individual.

Does it make sense for the individual gun owner? Not as much. Because the price of practice ammo becomes pretty high and availability is not as common as it is for 45ACP......but if the STATE is paying for the practice ammo and all you ,as the individual officer, have to do is go report to the range and have them hand it to you, then it really is not an issue now is it?

And as far as performance, like it or not, the 45GAP is pretty much ballisticly equivilant to the ACP. So the same performance in a smaller grip has some attraction to large agencies.
    Randy Harris
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Master Class IDPA SSP

TRAIN with me....http://www.suarezinternationalstore....px?find=harris

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links