Kel-tec pf9 self defense ammo?

This is a discussion on Kel-tec pf9 self defense ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just purchased a Kel-tec pf9 for CC. Can any owners of this gun recommend a low recoil defensive round. I cannot handle the recoil ...

Thread: Kel-tec pf9 self defense ammo?

Kel-tec pf9 self defense ammo?

I just purchased a Kel-tec pf9 for CC. Can any owners of this gun recommend a low recoil defensive round. I cannot handle the recoil from the Cor-Bon jhp 115+P that I use in my full size 9mm in this small Kel-tec.

2. Remove Ads

I've always found that standard velocity 147gr ammo has a very soft recoil; it was my preferred load in my G26...very controllable in rapid fre.

I'd look at 147gr Gold Dot, Ranger, PDX-1, or Golden Saber...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Try the heaviest bullet in a non +p loading. Something like what Cuda suggested.

Thanks, I'll try those suggested. Don't know that much about ammo. I had always thought the heavier grain (147 vs. 115 vs. 95) = more power (thus more recoil).

Quote Originally Posted by mjw6263 View Post
    Thanks, I'll try those suggested. Don't know that much about ammo. I had always thought the heavier grain (147 vs. 115 vs. 95) = more power (thus more recoil).
    The heavier the round is the more pressure builds in the barrel and the maker of the ammo must cut back on the powder/energy they put in the case of the bullet to keep the bullet case from blowing out.
    Thats why you see higher energy numbers on lighter bullet because they can put more energy/ powder
    in it without blowing the gun up in your hands.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Google JBM Ballisics. You can input the weight of your gun, the weight and velocity of your ammo of choice, and it will compute recoil for you. If you haven't chronographed your ammo you cab make an assumption for velocity, and you may have to take an educated guess on the weight if the gunpowder in the case, won't affect the results much.

Working off of my phone, or I'd run a few. Give it a try and compare it to the +p load you know and you might be surprised at the numbers.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Google JBM Ballisics. You can input the weight of your gun, the weight and velocity of your ammo of choice, and it will compute recoil for you. If you haven't chronographed your ammo you cab make an assumption for velocity, and you may have to take an educated guess on the weight if the gunpowder in the case, won't affect the results much.

Working off of my phone, or I'd run a few. Give it a try and compare it to the +p load you know and you might be surprised at the numbers.
    Educated guess? I haven't a clue. I can get the other numbers ok, but not that one. Corbon literature says 115grain+P, vel 1350 fps, energy 466 ft lbs. Weight of Keltec pf9=12.7 oz. Gunpowder weight ???????????

Whatever you select, be sure to run a good amount through the gun before you choose to rely on it.

I used to have PF9 that was rather picky about what it would feed. Certain types of ammo, no problem. Other types, it would jam every other round. Yours may not be so picky, but it's best to learn that at the range :)

Quote Originally Posted by mjw6263 View Post
    When a grain rating is seen on a piece of factory ammunition, it generally refers to the bullet weight, and not the amount of charge. It can be confusing, I know.

Here's a very simple way of figuring it out:

The higher energy in ft/lbs it has, the more it will recoil.

That is, if Isaac Newton knew what he was talking about...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

In the 9mm, just try 5 grains as a decent average charge weight. Good enough for that calculation.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

stop being a wuss. practice with FMJ, shoot with hard hitting JHP :)

I have read that the kel tec does not like to feed the heavier rounds. I have stayed with 115 grain stuff and it is not to bad with +p stuff. If you want to be beat to death try some .380 buffalo bore +p in a kel tec P-38t (can't run +p in Ruger) that will beat you to death. I shot enough to know it will feed and then went back to regular FMJ. Even that seams to be as bad as +p in the PF-9.

Links