Winchester PDX 12 GA ammo

This is a discussion on Winchester PDX 12 GA ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any info on it? I have heard the pistol round is a great round, and they have a shotgun round that is a ...

Thread: Winchester PDX 12 GA ammo

Winchester PDX 12 GA ammo

Anyone have any info on it? I have heard the pistol round is a great round, and they have a shotgun round that is a slug with 3x 00 Buck pellets... seems like a good idea?

I just put 6 rounds in my Saiga 12 alternating between the PDX and Federal LE 00 Buck rounds... I would think that's a good combo

any comments about this setup?

should I just stick with 00 Buck, or is this slug/buck pellet round a better HD round? the shooting distance won't be more than 10 yards in my house, and the Federal flight control wad is very tight as well so...

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I am a huge fan of Federal's Flite Control wad, and I am not a fan of mixing rounds in magazines. I could see OO in the gun and a mag of slugs as a spare, but I prefer one type at a time in the gun.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Well, I only have a double barrel...but I still would see no reason to mix the rounds. I only keep 00 buck on hand for a HD welcoming committee.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I haven't tried this product, but my best guess is that it was brought to market to compete with the new 12 Gauge 2 3/4 Law Enforcement Centurion Multi Defense Buckshot load unveiled earlier this year. That particular round features one (1) .65 Caliber round ball & six (6) #1 buckshot pellets that travels about 1250 fps, kicks like a mule, is a deep penetrator with tremendous knockdown power, and the #1 buckshot increases target impact points. To date, and in my humble opinion, this Centurion ammo is the best duel load buckshot that has been brought to market.

I personally carry this round in my Mossberg 590....nine (9) rounds of absolute destruction, but I also carry an assortment of 00 buck, 1 inch flechette rounds, & Remington "Sluggers" in my 30round chest bandoleer for multi purpose use. I'll give this new Remington round a try & get back to you....just as soon as I can get some cheep "frying hens" on sale at my local market for real flesh test purposes. I usually place old heavy demin in front of my "test fryer" & observe the results of all ammo I test in my back yard...all at ranges of 7-30 yards. I understand that this new Winchester round is banned in California...just as the new Multi purpose Centurion round...that should tell you something!

Federal LE 00 Buck rounds - the Flight control wad and low recoil is perfect for self defense

Quote Originally Posted by krazykeny View Post
    Federal LE 00 Buck rounds - the Flight control wad and low recoil is perfect for self defense
    That round is no longer LEO only. Check out the "PD132" OO load on Federal's site. It's the same as the old PFC154LR load. I sent them many angry emails when they discontinued it for us lowly civilians, and a good one when they brought this out in their personal defense lineup.

It doesn't matter if you're using Winchester PDX, or Remington Duplex, or birdshot from Wal Mart, pellets on the target get the job done. At muzzle contact the load doesn't really matter, BTDT. The Federal just keeps more pellets in a smaller pattern. I can keep all the pellets on a shilouette target about 3 or 4 times further than with the next tightest load I tried. That's a huge difference.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Either one will get the job done, I wouldn't over think it. What ever you decide to keep in your gun, you should shoot some through it to make sure the gun doesn't have any issues with it. More then likely it won't but trying it will give you assurance.

Great rounds

I love these rounds.1 oz. Slug behind 3 00 buck. Awesome looking pattern, and they are fast and hard hitting. I got mine at Dunhams.

Links