.357 sig

This is a discussion on .357 sig within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by VTLO910 You got a nice firearm there Thumper... I've been thinking about getting one of those and getting the .357 Barrel for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 sig

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTLO910
    You got a nice firearm there Thumper... I've been thinking about getting one of those and getting the .357 Barrel for it... Just having trouble getting the wallet stuffed with hundreds...

Thank you sir... yup, that's what I did. Dog gone it, I can't decide which caliber I like the most... some days .40, some days .357 so it's the best of both worlds.

I'm saving my sheckled for a P-220 SAS next!

By the way, good link!
    Last edited by Thumper; July 9th, 2006 at 11:21 PM.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    i have two: G33 and G32....
    Nice big bang and very flat shooters....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    My daily carry is a SIG P229 in .357SIG. I am a big proponent of the 10mm/40SW round, but I find that recoil is less in the .357SIG than in the 40SW. As others have said it is probably one of the flattest shooting rounds chambered for a standard semi-auto handgun, and I have found that it is not much of a stretch to make a 100yd shot with one. It is LOUD however, and will really get you noticed at the range, and unless you handload (or know someone who does) ammo is a bit pricey.

Here is the best price I have found on .357SIG Gold Dots on the web. These are 50 round boxes not the more common 20 rounders.

.357SIG at Streicher's Police Equipment
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

VIP Member
    For anyone interested:

KY Imports is selling Speer Lawman 100 grain, frangible lead-free training ammo for $159.99 (1000 rounds). While it probably doesn't precisely replicate 125 grain rounds, that's cheap for 357 SIG (approx. $8.00 a box of 50).

Site: http://www.kyimports.com/ammo.htm

Note, they last updated their site in February 2006, so you might want to double-check their latest price for that ammo.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by gunjunky
    ...But I was curious, those of you that have 357 sigs what ammo do you "plick" with? This round is a little pricey which is O.K I always belived that you get what you pay for. But , I'm not exactly made of money either! Is there somewhere I can order discount ammo in bulk for this load?
    Georgia Arms sells clean, low-flash, FMJ (125gr, 1300fps) at $190/1000. That works out to $9.50 for 50. That's what I use when I'm not at the indoor range (where I have to buy ammo from the range). I like it because the feel is almost identical to my Speer GD defensive load.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

the 357 auto is an amazing round that will serve you very well. i carry 125 grain corbon jhp's in my g31, and will most likely carry them in my soon to be purchased g33. for practice i just shoot WWB.

Another .357Sig fan. It shoots great in my P229.

Love the 357 Sig

KY Imports is selling Speer Lawman 100 grain referenced above is problematic in my G32. I would not recommend purchasing this ammo unless you like FTF drills!!!

I have refit my G27,G23, and G35 with 357 Sig. I find the accuracy and control superior to the 40 S&W - qualitatively.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I would recomend that anyone carrying or thinking of carrying the 357 Sig round take a few moments to read the shooting report done by the State Attorney of Florida involving the two federal air marshals back a while. The fact that three of nine rounds went through and through and traveled 90+ feet and still embeded in a metal wall has resulted in that agency considering a different caliber. Hey its your decision just some good insite.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

JT
    Do you have a link to that report, Steve?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have nothing against the .357sig but really have no desire to own one. I have a ruger P-944 .40 and find that several 155 gr loads in
    .40 S&W break 500 ft/lbs. I just think that the .357 sig can do anything that the .40 can't. Plus if you like to reload the .357 sig would require the extra step of having to lube the case because of the bottleneck.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    JT .... I had a link but its been turned off. There is one on my agency page but I dont think I should like that to you, LOL. I will look for another link and if I find one I'll pass it on to you.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

New Member Array Mountaineer_Shootist's Avatar
    Sig 229 with .357Sig & .40S&W bbls. Carry favorite is .357Sig with Federal Personal Defense rounds.

I just purchased a 229R that came with .357 sig and .40 barrels, so I picked up a Barsto 9mm conversion barrel to make it a TRIPLE threat. I already have 1,000 practice rds of 9mm for my other pistol.
    I just found a box of 100 WWB at Sportman's Warehouse, in .357 sig 125 grn FMJ, for $18+change. The Speer GD's, 125 grn bonded JHP, were $16+ for only 20, but it will be my carry ammo.
    I trust Gold Dots with my life.
    Last edited by Harold B; December 10th, 2006 at 12:16 AM. Reason: grammer
    Harold B
    "God made men, Sam Colt made them equal"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links