.357 sig

.357 sig

This is a discussion on .357 sig within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm not new to CCW but I'm new to this site. this is my first post to introduce myself and ask an opnion ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 sig

.357 sig

Hello all,
    I'm not new to CCW but I'm new to this site. this is my first post to introduce myself and ask an opnion question. I have been thinking about adding another weapon to my CCW package. The ballistics reports that I've veiwed on the .357 sig look impressive to me but I've never had any personal experience with the load. What do you guys think?

Senior Moderator
    I like it. I've one is a Sig226.
    I like it better than a 9mm and its about as controllable.

It is loud...you better have your earpulgs on when shooting it or your ears will ring for 2 days.

and BTW....Welcome to the forum !

Where in Arkansas are you at ?

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I've gone to 357 Sig for daily carry. I was a 45 ACP person for 30 years. This is the flatest shooting round you will ever fire. My handloads chrono at 1325 fps. That is just flat moving. I carry Federal H P for CCW loads.

Hot Guns,
    I'm in Osceolla were about 45 miles north of Memphis, Tn off of I55.
    Where are u?

VIP Member
    Gunjunky....welcome to the forum.

There are a number of 357 SIG threads here; do a search for more information.

I have two 357 SIG-chambered guns: Steyr M357 and SIGARMS SP2340 sigpro. Both are good guns....the Steyr has a slight extractor issue that causes me to have one or two FTE malfunctions ever 50 rounds or so...this gun is going back to Steyr to rectify that issue. The sigpro has not lost a beat in several hundred rounds. It's a fantastic and unsung sleeper of a gun.

To me, the caliber recoils as much as a 124 grain 9mm +P round....as such it's very controllable. It seems to be doing the job on bad guys.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum , Personaly I neither own nor care to own a .357 Sig . It simply does not offer me anything over hot 9mm and i can shoot cheap wally world wwb 9 to practice with LOL . Opinions on this round differ , but no one seems to have the opinion that it wont get the job done . BTW i am not a big caliber guy, I think and profess that anything from 9mm up will do its job if you do yours . If you dont do yours then you best carry the 12 ga or FAL LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    Gunjunky

I'm in Russellville right off of I-40.You are a pretty good ways from here, it takes me right at 4 hours to get to Memphis. I've qualified a few "gun totin" pastors myself. What church are you ?

I'm with the United Pentecostal Church. Russleville is great town!

Senior Moderator
    Exellent.

I attend Russellville First Assembly.

Lots of preachers in this town tote. You definatley arent alone...

Welcome GunJunky,

I have the 357Sig in a Sig P229 & HK USP compact.
    I love the 357Sig cartridge!
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Any good plinking ammo?

When I first posted this thread I was thinking about the 357 sig. I thought till about 3:00 today and and then bought a glock 32. I wont get a chance to do any real shooting until monday. But I was curious, those of you that have 357 sigs what ammo do you "plick" with? This round is a little pricey which is O.K I always belived that you get what you pay for. But , I'm not exactly made of money either! Is there somewhere I can order discount ammo in bulk for this load?

VIP Member
    Gunjunky, I have 2 Sig P239s one in 9mm and on in 357SIG. First of all welcome to the board. Hotguns is right be sure to have ear plugs. I don't know what it is about the 357sig, but it is loud and sharp. You will also see a nice muzzle blast if shooting toward dusk.

You have also run into the only real negative there is to the round - cost. At Wally World 50 Winchester white box 357sig rounds cost $14.98 and 100 WWB 9mm cost $11.98. I bought 500 Remington UMC from Sportsmans Guide for about $125 which is a little savings but not much. I use Cor-Bon Pow'r Ball for my carry ammo in both pistols. The price for 357 in that is about $4.00 a box or about .20 per round more than the 9mm.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Woot...! Props to the .357 Sig (9mm Magnum)... It's not for everyone. But it's definatly got some great characteristics...

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIIC2q6.html

a LONG read... But interesting.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

VIP Member
    I have SIG's in both .357 SIG and .40 S&W.

I carry Corbon 125 GR. DPX in the .357 SIG and 140 GR. DPX in the .40 S&W.

Guess you can tell I like Corbon DPX huh?

.357 SIG 125 GR. DPX 1300 fps/469ftlbs.
    .40 S&W 140 GR. DPX 1200FPS/448ftlbs.

(Truth is, I can't pick one caliber over the other... SHEESH!)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You got a nice firearm there Thumper... I've been thinking about getting one of those and getting the .357 Barrel for it... Just having trouble getting the wallet stuffed with hundreds...

::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links