mag safe

mag safe

This is a discussion on mag safe within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had experence with this round?the website makes it sound great, so i need to come to you to get the real truths.8 rounds ...

Thread: mag safe

Question mag safe

Has anyone had experence with this round?the website makes it sound great,
    so i need to come to you to get the real truths.8 rounds for 18 bucks.better
    be some good stuff....

It's an overpriced, gimmick, prefragmented round that despite being overhyped will underperform and underpenetrate.

Spend the money on a premium JHP, which are proven performers...and also will let you put some rounds downrange to make sure that your gun will actually shoot them reliably and accurately.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Unless you plan on shooting someone in an airplane, save your money. The average person couldn't even determine reliability at that cost. The round was designed for situations where overpenatration is unacceptable, and you'd better believe there's a trade off for that.

Like the others said, pass it up and buy you some proven rounds in the caliber you need. The really light rounds are good for those who buy into the FPE over penetration, not me.
    The ideal round IMO, employes both. As a general rule, I prefer the heavier rounds over the lighter one's in any caliber. Slower doesn't always equate to less effective. I use the slightly lighter rounds specifically for short barrel firearms just to boost the velocity for expansion only, and let the FPE fall where it may.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I did a bunch of research on MagSafe after carrying it for awhile because of the claims. After looking through the FBI reports on the needs of a duty round, the MagSafe lacks the penetration necessary to do the job effectively in actual shooting scenarios. I suggest a proven JHP round for SD.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    It has its place. Price is the big downside IMO, more so than design or ballistics.

I've blown off only a few packages for obvious reasons of cost and found that for my purposes (preferences) it is quite OK. I particularly liked the low recoil in .40. OTOH, I'll likely not buy it again. It is just too too expensive and there are other options.

Right now though, since I already bought a few, that is what I have loaded up with.

Around here, except for deep winter, it is T shirt time. Penetration through outer garments isn't much of an issue.

This one round I never experimented with in live tissue. Like the others have said, due to cost vs any real advantage, it may not be worth it. But like Hopyard stated, in hot weather with t shirt type dress, it may be great, especially if concerned about richochets from an errant shot.

Cool

Mag Safe and Glaser do a great job of creating a huge wound on the surface that rarely goes deeper than 6". If they do not come in contact with intermediate resistance like heavy clothing or parts of the body such as an arm they work better. That said I have no use for them. I have been a middle of the road medium weight bullet believer for several years but am starting to lean towards the heaviest weight in caliber. As Glockman10mm has said in several of his post he uses actual results in animals that he has harvested to show that getting in deep and breaking bones leads to faster incapacitation. Over penetration has been a question in law-enforcement circles for quite some time but I believe shot placement and bullet effectiveness is far more crucial in the vast majority of LEO involved shootings. The heavier projectiles get in deeper and tend to do more damage by breaking down the structure that supports the body that would allow it to continue to fight. Just my $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

If I was a criminal, I'd go to the home of someone carrying MagSafe instead of real ammo. While I'm speaking with tongue in cheek!, overpenetration is grossly overblown because only 12% - 13% of rounds hit their intended target - what about the other 88% that MISS?

MagSafe ammo was created solely to help the overly-concerned solve their fears about overpenetration. While this is a valid issue, it should not be taken out of context amist the other 88% of rounds that miss.

Suggestion: Instead of buying weak / underperforming ammo like their fears tell them to do, most civilians would be better off with more training to ensure a higher probability of hitting center-mass with regular HP ammo that penetrates about 12" +.
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 147 Grain View Post
    If I was a criminal, I'd go to the home of someone carrying MagSafe instead of real ammo. While I'm speaking with tongue in cheek!, overpenetration is grossly overblown because only 12% - 13% of rounds hit their intended target - what about the other 88% that MISS?

MagSafe ammo was created solely to help the overly-concerned solve their fears about overpenetration. While this is a valid issue, it should not be taken out of context amist the other 88% of rounds that miss.

Suggestion: Instead of buying weak / underperforming ammo like their fears tell them to do, most civilians would be better off with more training to ensure a higher probability of hitting center-mass with regular HP ammo that penetrates about 12" +.
    No, it is precisely because so many miss the mark and end up hitting wall board, that frangible ammo is useful. If I'm unfortunate enough to have to discharge .40s in the house, I sure don't want them to carry through to the outside with any significant energy left.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    That round doesn't interest me. Monstrously overpriced.

By the way, it's wasn't designed for firing inside aircraft. Bullets won't cause explosive decompression; they only cause a minor air leaks. The air marshalls carry the .357 Sig caliber. Go figure. Guess they're not concerned about overpenetration.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Our church allows CC for those with a CWP. The only requirement ~ carry Mag Safe. Oh well. We have 3 leo's that I would think carry standard.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That round doesn't interest me. Monstrously overpriced.

By the way, it's wasn't designed for firing inside aircraft. Bullets won't cause explosive decompression; they only cause a minor air leaks. The air marshalls carry the .357 Sig caliber. Go figure. Guess they're not concerned about overpenetration.
    However, the AM's also carry (iirc) the 125gr Gold Dot load in their .357's, not a frangible.

I'll echo your "Go Figure".
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Sponsored Links