Accidental discharge leads to suprising results. 9mm

This is a discussion on Accidental discharge leads to suprising results. 9mm within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We shooters can be separated into two groups: those who have had NDs, and those who will. You hear that a lot, but I don't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accidental discharge leads to suprising results. 9mm

We shooters can be separated into two groups: those who have had NDs, and those who will.
    You hear that a lot, but I don't think it's true. If you follow the rules of safety assiduously and do not violate them, you shouldn't have a problem.

It just isn't that hard to clear a semi-auto. Drop the mag. Lock the slide back. Check that there's daylight all the way through. Work the slide a couple of times. Look and check.

Skip any of those steps at your own peril.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

Wow! Praise God that no one was hurt. Thanks for sharing this. I do a lot of training at home but only on the draw, aim, and reholster. I never dry fire because I'm too afraid I'll do exactly what you did...eventhough I check and doublecheck. You have a lot to be thankful for.
    May the name of Christ be exalted in all things,
    Colleene Barnett
    Keeping the Piece: Ladies Only Concealed Carry and Basic Pistol Training
    www.KeepingthePiece.com
    Looking for a clever gift for the lady shooters in your life?
    http://www.zazzle.com/keepingthepiec...51718878453391

I heard a rumor that a ND from a 4 inch S&W model 58 loaded with a .41 mag 210 gr sp will go through a picture frame, two hard cover books, both sides of a drywalled interior wall, an interior shower wall, an exterior shower wall, the exterior wall of a house and the roof of patio. Never to be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I heard a rumor that a ND from a 4 inch S&W model 58 loaded with a .41 mag 210 gr sp will go through a picture frame, two hard cover books, both sides of a drywalled interior wall, an interior shower wall, an exterior shower wall, the exterior wall of a house and the roof of patio. Never to be found.
    Maybe that's the origin of the expression "I don't know Beans" - ?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Glad you're OK. I'm sure that in addition to fixing the door, you had to clean the floor where you were standing as well. First you say it, then you do it. This is the sort of thing that sticks with you and you will become more vigilant in your safety procedures. I've had a couple "close calls" but no NDs as of yet. I had a couple times in which I locked the slide back and a round came out and I wasn't expecting one to. Another time, I had my 1911 in my truck safe loaded and chambered but on half cock. Got it out to go home and took it out of the holster in the truck and laid it on the passenger seat and the hammer was fully cocked and the safety was off. Wasn't expecting that either and I reached over and slid the safety up. Luckily, no finger on the trigger and no pully pully bang bang. I try to maintain multiple layers approach to safety (stay holstered, no dry firing, no finger/trigger contact, muzzle safety, etc.). Assume nothing. Be safe. Glad you're ok.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bless me, Father, for I have sinned....

Feel better now that you've gotten that off your chest? You should. I did. Stupid is as stupid does, and we all get stupid at one time or another. You want to know what's really loud? Try firing a .30-30 inside a vehicle! I'll leave the particulars out other than thank God the window was down!

Like Glockman10 said, old wood can be very hard. Some of those old barns you see off in the fields are dang near bullet-proof.

Consider it a very valuable lesson learned at teh expense of your embarrassment (and some home repairs).
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    welcome to the club...and i can testify to the report being louder than any youve ever heard before...ive never understood not realizing a gun was loaded and chambering a round when dry firing until i made the largest ******* mistake of my life...

i had been practicing the draw stroke with several different holsters...back hall leading to a blind bath...no way anyone could get muzzled..thats why i practice there...i finished my practice and loaded my gun as usual to return it to the safe....then spotted another holster i havent worn in a while...strapped the holster on and holstered the gun...then without thinking drew the gun as i had done a hundred times before (reflex) and sent a round dead down the center of the hall into a plate glass mirror dead center in my reflections chest(damned good sd shot if i ever saw one)...1/4" plate glass 4' X 7' mirror...1/2" drywall...insulation and a dead stop fully expanded 127gr gold dot hp buried in the exterior wall concrete block...its a souvenir on my desk now and a constant reminder(along with an occassional comment from my wife)...the guys from the glass company got a charge out of it and told me nobody would believe how many mirrors they replace with bullet holes in them...

i have to admit i still have a hard time when someone unloads a gun and theres something left in it...but my own stupidity after loading a gun then repeating a drill almost unconsciously takes over and makes it clear that the human condition is hard to overcome at times...even my wife was astounded as i come from a long line of overly safety conscious family...the mind is a terrible thing to waste...

Scared the hell out of myself a couple of months back when I got back from the range and took my AR out of its bag to clean it.... Pulled back the bolt to ensure it was clear and a round popped out. I damn near crapped myself just from that. First time I EVER cleared a weapon that I thought I had cleared prior and discovered I had failed to clear it. Hammered home for me that ALL WEAPONS ARE LOADED EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT.

I would probably crap myself, piss myself, and puke if I had an actual negligent discharge in my house. Love to hear the stories... it helps to reinforce respect for the weapon and basic safety rules.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Can I ask why you were dry firing with a magazine in the gun? Assuming the gun is truly empty, racking it all the way would end up locking back your slide which is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Anytime I dry fire I drop the mag, rack quickly a half-dozen times, then start pulling the trigger.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Glad nobody was hurt
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    Sorry to hear this, but then again, it is always good to hear this kind of thing so thank you. It makes me a safer gun handler and reminds me that stuff does happen, and all the safety basics are there for a reason.

We are all human.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    Can I ask why you were dry firing with a magazine in the gun? Assuming the gun is truly empty, racking it all the way would end up locking back your slide which is more of an annoyance than anything else.

Anytime I dry fire I drop the mag, rack quickly a half-dozen times, then start pulling the trigger.
    if i were to guess...with a g26 there isnt a whole heck of a lot of gun to hold onto and the purchase is better with the mag in...especially if equipped with an extension...if youre going to dry fire your gun it should be as it is when you handle it loaded...

I'm relatively new to owning a gun (turned 21 a few months ago), but I keep a separate magazine dedicated to snap caps to help prevent anything like this from happening. I'm living in a small apartment for school, so going to a different room from the ammo to dry fire isn't really practical, but I keep the live ammo locked up while I'm dry firing. Above and beyond the clearing any live rounds, I also visually inspect the round going into the chamber is a snap cap when I'm loading it. I really have to be careful, because on one side of my apartment building is one of my school buildings, and on the other is a Department of Homeland Security building. A ND towards either of those would be a field day for the Milwaukee media.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Ooooooopppppsssss...........................no harm done.

Just be careful........................PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post

In addition to this, I will pull back the slide, and look down the empty magwell to be sure I can see the carpet. This is just in case there is a broken extractor or something other case that is unlikely, but not impossible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links