Anyone has a Small Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer?

This is a discussion on Anyone has a Small Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought the Hornady primer pocket reamer since it appears that most of my .223 brass have military crimped primers. I noticed that it didn't ...

Thread: Anyone has a Small Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer?

Anyone has a Small Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer?

I bought the Hornady primer pocket reamer since it appears that most of my .223 brass have military crimped primers. I noticed that it didn't work too well, and that it would just bevel the opening even after about 10 turns. I expected most of the crimping to be out, but that was not the case. It looks to me that the package came with two Large tools since they both measured about .206". I measured some small primers and they were about .173" while the large primers were about .208". Someone had a post on Midwayusa where they said the tool worked great, but also said not to bottom out the tool as it would be too big. I think this is a wrong statement since I would think you are supposed to go to the bottom, but that the tool is too large. Does anyone have the Hornady Small Reamer that they could possible measure.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=804809

2. Remove Ads

A .208 reamer is not going to work with a .173/.174 primer. I have an old wooden handled reamer, unknown brand, it measures .173. I used it on hundreds/thousands of .223 military brass. I reamed all the way down. To my knowledge, primers have no taper.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That's what I thought, but when I read one of the reviews I got a little confused. I guess the person got the same as me, but didn't know it was too big. I was able prime a couple of cases by creating enough bevel that the primer would seat, but I realized that's probably not the way it should work.
    Thanks for your response.

VIP Member
    Not to derail the thread but this is what I use to remove primer crimps, much faster and does not remove any metal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=447022
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    True that the crimp will be mostly in the outer portion of the primer pocket, but the entire depth needs to be trued in size.

I have a small rifle reamer (brand unknown but probably RCBS) that measures @.171. It's a bit hard to get the exact size due to the cutter pattern. I've reamed literally hundreds of 5.56 cases, reaming until the tool bottoms, with no problems. However, being handheld, you will get slight inconsistancies due to the tool's axis not always being maintained perfectly straight with the case centerline. I've even removed the crimp with a pocketknife blade on ocassion and it will work.

My recommendation, if you're going to be using a lot of military brass, is to invest in a pocket swagger. It's less messy (no fine brass shavings) and is more consistant in reforming pocket dimentions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Not to derail the thread but this is what I use to remove primer crimps, much faster and does not remove any metal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=447022
    I will have to get one of those eventually, but I already deprimed almost 1000 cases (using Hornady .223 dies) before I realized the crimps weren't removed... I don't think I can used the RCBS to remove the crimp if it's deprimed already, but please correct me if I am wrong.
    I also hear Lee has a good one so I will take a look at that one to, but I assume the primer needs to be in place on that to to remove the crimp. If anyone has any experience with it, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    I will have to get one of those eventually, but I already deprimed almost 1000 cases (using Hornady .223 dies) before I realized the crimps weren't removed... I don't think I can used the RCBS to remove the crimp if it's deprimed already, but please correct me if I am wrong.
    I also hear Lee has a good one so I will take a look at that one to, but I assume the primer needs to be in place on that to to remove the crimp. If anyone has any experience with it, please let me know.
    You actually have to remove the primer first to be able to decripm the primer pocket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdkA7vDeaes
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Nice video of the RCBS dies, but unfortunately it doesn't work on progressive presses and I can see why since it looks like it works the case from both sides.
    Are there anything similar that works on progressive presses? Are there anything that would deprime and remove the crimp in one operation? I see Dillon has a Super Swager, but it's pretty expensive.. Does the Dillon work on deprimed brass?
    Is there anything else you can recommend?

My small one measures .167 and works just as advertised. I usually am doing so many I usually just chuck the bit in a drill. The large one measures .206.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mandalitten View Post
    Nice video of the RCBS dies, but unfortunately it doesn't work on progressive presses and I can see why since it looks like it works the case from both sides.
    Are there anything similar that works on progressive presses? Are there anything that would deprime and remove the crimp in one operation? I see Dillon has a Super Swager, but it's pretty expensive.. Does the Dillon work on deprimed brass?
    Is there anything else you can recommend?
    A lower cost alternative may be to use the swaging dies in a Lee hand press. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=665540
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links