Honest thoughts on .32 ACP?

This is a discussion on Honest thoughts on .32 ACP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Wastelander Are YOU willing to get shot in the chest by it? If the answer is "no" then it is good enough, ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Honest thoughts on .32 ACP?

Quote Originally Posted by Wastelander View Post
    Are YOU willing to get shot in the chest by it? If the answer is "no" then it is good enough, because I highly doubt that your average bad guy is going to want to be shot in the chest by it any more than you do, and in all likelihood they won't be checking the caliber when you draw down on them anyway
    There are a great many things I would not want to get shot in the chest with however that doesn't mean I would trust those things to save my bacon in a life or death situation.
    BamaT likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

A .32 can penetrate the sternum. I shot a 2x4 with mine, 15 feet away. It went through and through, but it was a FMJ.

I've carried my .32 every day for the past 20 years.

I shot an animal in self-defense. It worked (on the animal).

The only reason I'm looking to retire my .32ACP is because I'm having a heck of a time finding ammo for it.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    The only reason I'm looking to retire my .32ACP is because I'm having a heck of a time finding ammo for it.
    It's not that hard to find ammo for... I wouldn't expect Wal-Mart to carry it, but a decent gun store, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc. will have what you need. If none of those is near you, ammotogo.com has it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I carry Fiocchi FMJ in my P-32. I only carry it when I can't carry something bigger or if I need to make a quick run outside to take out trash, etc. at night. I call it a "get off me gun". If I ever had to use it, I'd empty the magazine into the perp. 7.65mm/32ACP has killed many folks in Europe over the years. Reduced recoil over the P3AT was enough for me to buy it.
    Richard58 likes this.

I have several firearms of different calibers. While I prefer the 9mm or the .45, I have no problem carrying either the KelTec .32 or the KelTec P-3AT. My wife usually grabs the .32...she likes the small size, and I say it's much better than a 9mm in the safe.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Why do you consider that a slide lock on a mousegun is so important?
    It's not that I consider it of paramount importance, just that some time ago when I bought it it was the deciding factor. I'd rather have a function tell me the mag is empty rather than a dry trigger pull on an automatic. Avoiding the extra time for the extra squeeze and the brain analysis of the various reasons why automatics sometimes don't go "bang". For the record, I don't claim this to be an educated decision any more than it was a knee-jerk reaction to a gun w/out a slide lock function. Nor did I say it was a poor decision. Hell, I just don't know Hence my 2nd guessing..

Good feedback in this thread - thanks peoples.
    Last edited by 3rik; December 6th, 2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: bored, misplaced perfectionism
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

the kel tec p3at has a place in my carry rotation as the weekend off duty gun. my wife likes the p32 for every day carry. is it better than a 45acp/40s&w/9mm? yes/no,, hard to say. seen some shot with these and they drove themself to the er. seen some shot with smaller guns, 22lr/25acp/32acp/380acp and they were placed in the body bag. you just don't now how it will come out. but i do know the gun in hand is better than the gun back home. carry something, practive with it, no matter the size.
    Richard58 likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My opinion (which is worth squat), it's ok if that's what you have and money is too tight right now to look at other options. It's ok if that's what you can and will carry as compared to larger guns. Practice as much as you can and get good with it. I think it's better than .22 and .25. I think there are better options available if you can swing it. As for similar size and not bank breakers, the LCP is a good option in .380. Kel Tec makes a small 9mm that is inexpensive. If you can manage to carry larger than those and spend up to $500, you can really open up the possibilities for larger caliber, higher capacity, and better ergos and recoil management.

For me personally, I never carry a caliber smaller than 9mm, and I very rarely carry 9mm anymore. I usually carry .40, .45, or .357. The reason? I have large thick hands and wrists the size of a tree limb and I can shoot large calibers in small guns with no problem (quick, accurate, and all day long)...so I figure why not. As I get older, that may not continue to be the case and I will be fine carrying 9mm if that's the largest caliber I can perform well with. The gun, regardless of the caliber, is only as effective as the person behind it. It's a matter of what weapon you can be effective with.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

kpw
    Most of the time, I have a P-32 in my front left pocket. On rare occasions, it's the only gun I'm packing and it's comforting when it's all I can carry. The .380 is probably better but I doubt it is substantially better, at least not in the short tube of a P3AT. I do know I can place accurate hits at a much faster rate with the P-32 and that's my preference with any mini gun.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastelander View Post
    Are YOU willing to get shot in the chest by it? If the answer is "no" then it is good enough, because I highly doubt that your average bad guy is going to want to be shot in the chest by it any more than you do, and in all likelihood they won't be checking the caliber when you draw down on them anyway

^^^^^^^^^^^^While I have no doubt that .32 cal. will kill, and has^^^^^^^^^

You just have to make sure you run into the average bad guy,, and not one who would rather you die than he.

I myself won't carry less than 9mm, and that seems to be on the slight end at best.
    Too many reports of thugs taking 6,8,12 and even more shots from larger caliber firearms and still having too much fight in them.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^While I have no doubt that .32 cal. will kill, and has^^^^^^^^^

You just have to make sure you run into the average bad guy,, and not one who would rather you die than he.

I myself won't carry less than 9mm, and that seems to be on the slight end at best.
    Too many reports of thugs taking 6,8,12 and even more shots from larger caliber firearms and still having too much fight in them.
    What did these reports say about shot placement? Where were these multiple shots hitting?
    Until reading this I was leaning towards the thought that bigger was better. Now, according to this, it doesn't seem like it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    What did these reports say about shot placement? Where were these multiple shots hitting?
    Until reading this I was leaning towards the thought that bigger was better. Now, according to this, it doesn't seem like it makes a difference.
    The gun, regardless of the caliber, is only as effective as the person behind it. It's a matter of what weapon you can be effective with.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I believe I'll take the Ruger LCP for a test drive at the range this week to try to get a feel for the .380 and go from there. If I don't like it I'll go back to feeling secure in my decision.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The gun, regardless of the caliber, is only as effective as the person behind it. It's a matter of what weapon you can be effective with.
    Exactly

#'s 4 U

Per the Marshall/Sanow Handgun Stopping Power study based on street results:

.32 ACP WW 60 gr. STHP: 61 shootings, 36 one-shot stops, 59%

.380 ACP WW 85 gr STHP: 59 shootings, 32 one-shot stops, 54%

.38 special, 2" bbl, WW 125 gr JHP +P: 41 shootings, 23 one-shot stops, 56%

There are other loads listed but these are most similar.

How "definitive" their study is has been argued to death so I am not going there. But their work does give a frame of reference based on something more than conjecture.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links