Honest thoughts on .32 ACP? - Page 4

Honest thoughts on .32 ACP?

This is a discussion on Honest thoughts on .32 ACP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deafdave3 The only reason I'm looking to retire my .32ACP is because I'm having a heck of a time finding ammo for ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Honest thoughts on .32 ACP?

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    The only reason I'm looking to retire my .32ACP is because I'm having a heck of a time finding ammo for it.
    I got WWB in .32 at my Florida Wal-Mart. Don't give up.

I have a Seecamp .32 and besides being a work of art, it's so easy to drop in my pocket that I do it more and more. Maybe someday a Seecamp in .380 but I hear they're painful to shoot. (and pricey)

The .32 ACP can offer surprising penetration. Back in the 1970s I had an Astra Constable in .32 ACP. Was a nice little pistol with a very similar appearance to the Walther PPK. One afternoon I was shooting at some junk in a roadside dump and drew a bead on a wheel rim I'd found an propped against a tree. The rim looked like it came off either a Renault Dauphine or a Fiat of some sort. It was made of steel. The .32 ACP pierced it easily. Now, if it had been an American car of the era I doubt the .32 ACP would have completely penetrated but it still penetrated this particular rim.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

While I don't personally own a 32 I have seen the round do some surprising penetration. A few months ago I took care of a guy that shot himself on accident with a 32 Derringer. The round with thu the webbing of his hand and entered his abdomen right below the ribcage on his right side (liver area). The round exited out his left buttock next to his tailbone. So in that case it had a lot of penetration to go that far. The guy ended up dying of internal bleeding on the way to the hospital. Just one experience I have had with the round and it could well be the exception, but it was lethal to him.

If it keeps you from going without any gun, it's perfect, is it not?

I carry my LCP as a BUG or a third hideout gun. I carry it if I would otherwise be without (extremely rare). For me, it's a contact distance gun. Shove it in someones face and let it rip with a full magazine.

More than likely it will get the job done. But I won't be surprised if it doesn't. For me, It's my gun of last chance desperation. I consider the .32 to be on par with the .380.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    I believe I'll take the Ruger LCP for a test drive at the range this week to try to get a feel for the .380 and go from there. If I don't like it I'll go back to feeling secure in my decision.
    Update: test drove the Ruger LCP today at the range. .380 seems ok - don't like the Ruger. I won't pick it apart, some people love 'em - not for me. There's a Sig P238 there that looks kinda fun. Might check it out someday..

Already owning a Keltec and having shot a .380, I can say I would buy a P3AT next time I'm situated to do so after ticking a few other things of the list of priorities. For now, I've gone back to being satisfied with the .32.
    "Obviously you're not a golfer." -The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    Update: test drove the Ruger LCP today at the range. .380 seems ok - don't like the Ruger. I won't pick it apart, some people love 'em - not for me. There's a Sig P238 there that looks kinda fun. Might check it out someday..

Already owning a Keltec and having shot a .380, I can say I would buy a P3AT next time I'm situated to do so after ticking a few other things of the list of priorities. For now, I've gone back to being satisfied with the .32.
    My father has a P238 that is a really sweet shooting little pistol. I've fired around 50 rounds or so through it. It's accurate for the short sight radius and a pleasure to shoot. Personally, I'll stick to my 642 as my pocket gun, but that little P238 is sweet.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

If you want to try a sweet shooting .380, find a Bersa Thunder .380 to shoot sometime. A buddy of mine has one and I've shot it a number of times. I actually have it right now as we have semi-traded (he's using a little .22 of mine for a while...he's trapping and needed something to finish off that made small holes).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Cool

Years ago when I was working undercover narcotics we carried anything that did not look like a "cop gun". I never had to use one in defense but I sure felt more comfortable carrying them. I carried a Beretta 950 .25 then a Star .22 and finally a PPK/S .380. Today my BUG to the Glocks is a Diamondback .380 because of the ability to easily conceal and it's small size, but if it was a quality .32 that would be OK too. Guantes called them "shove guns". We call them "get off me guns". With all this said I would not rely on anything less than a .38 spl for a primary weapon. That's me. Carry what you have and be proficient with it. My $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    It's better than not carrying any gun at all, but I believe that the minimum in caliber for self-defense should be a .380 ACP. Therefore, I would just trade it in for the P-3AT or the Ruger LCP. There will be no difference in size, but you will be definitely packing more heat. Load it up with Buffalo Bore .380 and you will have the same stopping power as a standard pressure load .38.
    Hey alachner,

To keep the record straight, Ruger doesn't recommend any +P ammo, like Buffalo Bore, for the LCP, refer to page 11 of the Instruction Manual.

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/lcp.pdf
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    .32 is better than a rock.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Sometimes a rock, well placed, is better than a 32.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Sometimes a rock, well placed, is better than a 32.
    I'd like to see the cat that can chunk a rock @ 700FPS..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I'd like to see the cat that can chunk a rock @ 700FPS..
    You don't need to. Energy is a factor of weight and speed ... and a .32 needs to move very very fast because it weighs very very little. Not uncommon for boxers to throw a punch with over 1000 ft-lbs of force, a few have thrown punches with over 2000 ft-lbs of force. That's about 3 times the power of the hottest 10mm loads.

A 1-pound rock thrown at 100 ft/second (approximately 68mph - a moderate pitch speed for a high-schooler) generates 155ft-lbs of force.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

VIP Member
    Not a round I would willingly set out to take to combat. Not sure why the Army ever provided its General Officers with a .32 cal weapon, but they did. They have since wised up and moved on to .45 then 9mm.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    You don't need to. Energy is a factor of weight and speed ... and a .32 needs to move very very fast because it weighs very very little. Not uncommon for boxers to throw a punch with over 1000 ft-lbs of force, a few have thrown punches with over 2000 ft-lbs of force. That's about 3 times the power of the hottest 10mm loads.

A 1-pound rock thrown at 100 ft/second (approximately 68mph - a moderate pitch speed for a high-schooler) generates 155ft-lbs of force.
    It was mostly tongue and cheek, and I think we all know what my intention was..... And for the record.... I'll take a rock to any body part long before I'll take a round that could reach my vital organs.

Are we noe seriously going to compare rock throwing to firearm rounds... excuse me while I go laugh this one off....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links