Honest thoughts on .32 ACP? - Page 5

Honest thoughts on .32 ACP?

This is a discussion on Honest thoughts on .32 ACP? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HiFreq47 You don't need to. Energy is a factor of weight and speed ... and a .32 needs to move very very ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Honest thoughts on .32 ACP?

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    You don't need to. Energy is a factor of weight and speed ... and a .32 needs to move very very fast because it weighs very very little. Not uncommon for boxers to throw a punch with over 1000 ft-lbs of force, a few have thrown punches with over 2000 ft-lbs of force. That's about 3 times the power of the hottest 10mm loads.

A 1-pound rock thrown at 100 ft/second (approximately 68mph - a moderate pitch speed for a high-schooler) generates 155ft-lbs of force.
    Being a fair pitcher in HS, there is no way I could have tossed a 1 pound rock anywhere near 68 mph but I could break 82 mph on occasion with a 5oz. ball. Having beened a few guys and gotten beened myself, I know it hurts like crazy.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    You don't need to. Energy is a factor of weight and speed ... and a .32 needs to move very very fast because it weighs very very little. Not uncommon for boxers to throw a punch with over 1000 ft-lbs of force, a few have thrown punches with over 2000 ft-lbs of force. That's about 3 times the power of the hottest 10mm loads.

A 1-pound rock thrown at 100 ft/second (approximately 68mph - a moderate pitch speed for a high-schooler) generates 155ft-lbs of force.
    all true except pitchers dont throw shot puts!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Ever combined BBs and rubber bands? Or a rubber band and "football" folded piece of paper with staples in it? We used to call them "stingers" in middle school. My friends would always get me as I was taking care of business at the urinal... no way to defend!

Quote Originally Posted by 3rik View Post
    I've been carrying a Keltec P32 for a little while both as a back up to a .38 snub and a primary ONLY when absolute deep concealment in low risk environment is priority 1. In all other situations I'm armed with a High-Cap 9mm.

Ok, I love this little pistol. However, I frequently 2nd guess the caliber and feel maybe I should pick up the P3AT to be taken seriously. I do feel the .32 shines in some areas and falls short in others. I just have a hard time discerning which areas apply to me.

After some good thought provoking and logical discussion on the .380 in a few previous threads I'd love some feedback on the .32 Auto.
    Never shot one so pretty ignorant. But .32 was used by European police for many years, and plenty of American gangsters carried the Colt 1903 in .32 - a good bunch to trust. I think having 10 (perhaps more, I iive in NY which has limit of 10 in mag) should leave you with few BGs that aren't still charging after - and you're goal in SD is stop and attack so you can get AWAY. Maybe one won't feel a thing, but look at it this way: the chances on average that any of us will actually need to use an SD weapon are highly remote to begin with. The chances on top of that highly unlikely chance you will also meet some emergency where 10+ .32 rounds will not halt an attack enough for you to escape are likely on the order of you being hit by lightning. So...... my advice, do what gives you the most comfort and accuracy shooting fast under severe pressure. If it's a .32, fine, use it.
    BamaT likes this.

If one is going to rely on a .32 they really need to get out and practice, A LOT!

The .32, .380, and other marginal calibers are contact weapons best used by placing the barrel in the eye, mouth, or ear of the attacker, and firing as long as the target remains standing.

Biker

Is the gun dependable? Can you shoot it worth a darn? If the answer is "yes," then you are well-armed.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
    Hey alachner,
    To keep the record straight, Ruger doesn't recommend any +P ammo, like Buffalo Bore, for the LCP, refer to page 11 of the Instruction Manual.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/lcp.pdf
    To keep the record straight (and I realize this is in response to an old post), there is no such thing as a +P .380. It's not defined by SAAMI or any other standard, AFAIK. Any .380 ammo that purports to be "+P" is just loaded to higher than standard pressures. I don't believe that ANY gun manufacturer approves the use of "+P" ammo in their .380's, since there's no such thing.

Regards,
    Jim
    ICTsnub likes this.

Indeed, there is no plus-p .32 or 380. To sell as such is hype, and foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    To keep the record straight (and I realize this is in response to an old post), there is no such thing as a +P .380. It's not defined by SAAMI or any other standard, AFAIK. Any .380 ammo that purports to be "+P" is just loaded to higher than standard pressures. I don't believe that ANY gun manufacturer approves the use of "+P" ammo in their .380's, since there's no such thing.

Regards,
    Jim
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

If European Police and civilians used the .32 for years and it did well, I see no reason not to carry one. I have a Bersa .32 which holds 10 + 1 rounds and shoots well. I use Fiocchi 73 gr FMJ which gets good penetration. As one of the posters here said, a guy accidentally shot himself with a .32 and died from internal bleeding. It is enough round to do the job, and with such light recoil it is easy to put 3 or 4 rounds center mass.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Answer: Taurus TCP 738

$199 brand new, .380 caliber, best DA trigger of all the mouse guns in its class, last round slide lock back, easy to shoot.

Edit:
    Crap, I got suckered into an old thread.

Contrary to popular opinion, there are some .32 ACP loads that will expand. I found one that will also penetrate a fair distance. I was thinking about retesting the Fiocchi later today in the new clear gel I have been using just to see how it will do.

Pocket Guns and Gear: 32 ACP JHP Shoot-Out
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin3840 View Post
    Per the Marshall/Sanow Handgun Stopping Power study based on street results:

.32 ACP WW 60 gr. STHP: 61 shootings, 36 one-shot stops, 59%

.380 ACP WW 85 gr STHP: 59 shootings, 32 one-shot stops, 54%

.38 special, 2" bbl, WW 125 gr JHP +P: 41 shootings, 23 one-shot stops, 56%
    According to the study 32 auto is just under 60% one shot stops. To get over that you would need to be 40 cal or above. I cant shoot a 40 in a compact without great pain in my wrists, and am not likely to carry a full sized gun everywhere I go. With the 32 I can shoot it well in a compact size that Ill carry with me always. DR

Thoughts on .32 acp

IMO the only crap round there is, is the .25 acp. The .32 will do the job.

.32 ACP extremes in thought:

Obviously I have a Kel-Tec P32. It is my around the house gun (to get me to something bigger if need be) and my "when I can't carry" gun. There are times one wants to be armed but for one reason or another absolutely has to be 100% concealed no matter what. The only guns that do that better than the P32 in my experience are the NAA minis, and they are even more of a trade-off. I haven't shot the P3AT, but my wife has an LCP and it is very similar. The P32 is lighter, has much less recoil, holds more ammunition, and is much easier to shoot well (for me anyway). I don't use JHP ammunition in the .32 ACP, just 73 grain ball from one European manufacturer or another. It isn't a perfect "holdout" gun, but it makes the grade IMO for the role it was intended to fill.

That said, when people talk about the various police forces in Europe using the .32 ACP, they are not talking about cops with P32s and similar guns. European police forces used guns like the Walther PP and PPK, the Beretta 81, the CZ70, CZ83, and similar sized handguns. They had longer barrels, better triggers, and better sights. Plus, they were shooting European spec .32 ACP (7.65x17mm if you will), which is hotter than most .32 ACP ammunition in the US. Then, of course, there is the VZ61 Skorpion machine pistol. While 1 .32 ACP round might not be much in the grand scheme of things, a burst of 10 or 20 of them will ruin your whole day. The VZ61 is reported to be pretty easy to control in full-auto because of the light recoil. My semi-automatic only version is great fun and completely reliable.

I like .32 caliber cartridges in general, and that includes the ACP. I carry a P32 regularly, and I wouldn't hesitate to carry a CZ 83 or Beretta 81 as a primary weapon if I had one available. At the same time, the micro .380s don't do anything for me, too much of a good thing perhaps, but I just don't have a lot of faith in them. On the other hand, my new carry gun is a Beretta 84FS, 14 rounds of 102 grain Golden Sabres in a reliable, accurate, and compact package is a great home for the .380 ACP cartridge.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    A properly placed bullet regardless of its caliber will kill you just as dead regardless of how big or how small it is.

I saw on the news that a US Military Man got shot diagonally through the torso with an RPG. Lucky for him the grenade didn't go off!!!

The tip-end was sticking out of his hip area and the tail was sticking out around his ribs. They were able to remove it surgically and he survived! He is living a surprisingly near-norm life today!

I salute him !!!

So what caliber would that be equal to?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links